Armee Troika

Walsingham

Turned based games can try your patience at times when you have a lot of enemies on the screen waiting their turn to take a shot at you. It's worth it provided that you have a substantial amount of APs yourself to take them out.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Turned based games can try your patience at times when you have a lot of enemies on the screen waiting their turn to take a shot at you. It's worth it provided that you have a substantial amount of APs yourself to take them out.

i agree with this 100%. i prefer current implementations for small battles, but not for larger.

it's always been my opinion that they should modify the way t-b is implemented. let each side figure out ALL of his party moves/actions, then run a quickie script that executes them in a sort of real-time fashion (keeping in mind that t-b actions must follow required precedence). i think that would be cool to watch, too. you'd still get your "turn" in the right order, but the action would execute as if it were simultaneous. slick indeed it would be. :)

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

A smart implementation is to have it do a lot of prediction based upon your potential moves so that the heuristics when it comes down to their actual turn speed things up considerably.

Though it's more effort for a programmer.

Not sure what you are saying here ...?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Have the AI continue to work in the background, planning its moves. Since your moves aren't done though, it obviously can't be in a final state. So examine what potential moves the player can do, and determine what the best course of action would be.

It's kind of like Chess, except that the AI plans its moves while you're still doing your turn, so that there is less waiting around when it's actually the AI's turn.

Have the AI continue to work in the background, planning its moves.  Since your moves aren't done though, it obviously can't be in a final state.  So examine what potential moves the player can do, and determine what the best course of action would be.

It's kind of like Chess, except that the AI plans its moves while you're still doing your turn, so that there is less waiting around when it's actually the AI's turn.

This is the method of AI I was speaking about using in a possible TBS that may or may not be being released on the XBOX 360, and may or may not be being produced by the studio I currently work for, but all the same, the idea fitted perfectly for desired said game and thus it may or may be demonstrated in said project.

Was that vague enough?

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I think you are all tremendously clever. I can't understand a word.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

bah seven poages of this i read through.

EA, i too havent bought a game from that monopoly company.

id kind a like to see them end up in court and give ultima back to RG.

he never should have sold it along with the company, what he should have done was sell the distrabution rights to em. but in that run it wouldnt help anything in the long run. when it comes down to it its my money si i deside where it goes.

troika, yeah their games were buggy as hell, and i enjoyed two of them, i just could not get back to them when i got hit by bug in the game or beat the game.

their gone: alll parties envolved screwed troika, and at that they screw themselves.what i heard is that they did not have QA, so major bugs poped up after release.

well what bugs came up never compared with the uninstall bug of por2

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome