HL2 Episode 2 Delayed until Feb 2007

Bokishi

Deus Ex requires you to kill 2 people.

Gunther and that manager-guy with the enhancements.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Actually, you probably could get through large parts of the game without ever killing a creature.  Some parts would just be really, really tough.

Though I don't typically consider the sneaking around in NOLF to really be all that derivative from shooting people like crazy.  It's sneaking was more akin to GoldenEye sneaking around IMO.

The tricycle chase scene was definitely one of the most bizarre scenes I ever had the pleasure of participating in.

The mimes in general, as well as a lot of the banter was great.  The problem I found though, was that if I stuck around to listen to the banter (which I always did), then my best opportunity to sneak past unscathed ends up passing me by (since the guards return to their patrol routes rather than standing around).  I typically just used the sneaking around to get kills without alerting the whole world.

Though I doubt it's possible to get through NOLF without killing anyone either.  Even Deus Ex requires you to kill I think 3 people.

You have to kill the bosses. Other than that, I know that some levels urge you to kill everything in sight (the airplane level for example), while others are designed in such a way, that there's always a way not to kill anyone. More interesting, and also hard, is to finish the stealthier levels not only without killing anyone but also without being detected.

I didn't have any problems with listening to the dialogues. Usually it was either a situation where you had to wait for the banter to finish if you wanted to sneak by undetected, or they had their backs to the path you would take and as such could listen to the banter while walking by undetected.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I am pretty sure you can avoid Gunther by quickly using the computer and running away.

Navarre has the key to an unpickable/unbreakable door (or maybe Jacobsen does...but he's not talking to you until Navarre is dead).

I'm not even sure if you need to kill Simons either.

Don't all of your solutions at the end wind up in Bob Page kicking the bucket too?

Edited by alanschu

Actually, now that you mention it, I recall dismembering Simons.

I took the loose box of explosives from the undersea part up with me, climbing ladders with a box of boom!, then dropping it at his feet, blowing off his (and my) legs ... he couldn't run after me, and I just waited to regenerate my legs :D ... also can't you use a tranquilizer?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Ok, so I'm exagerating a little bit about the crappiness of Half-Life's story.  :">

No you're not. HL has a total crap story. Dimensional Rip, Monsters come through, Hero gets guns and goes nuts, suspicious guy with a briefcase shows up peridoically. Its a story that could have been written by a retard. Of course, it was written by Marc Laidlaw who is a really good writer, so obviously he had some chains attached to his creativity by Valve.

But that's OK. HL had a lot of great things going for it. The fact the story was mongoloid fodder was completely irrelevant. More hurtful to the quality of the gameplay was the large number of jumping puzzles.

*jump* *miss* *fall* *die* *reload*

Yay. Now this is freaking awesome gameplay right here!

HL was a pretty good game though. At least for the first few "levels".

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

What are you talking about?? Jumping puzzles when you can't see your feet are an awesome idea!!!!!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

What are you talking about?? Jumping puzzles when you can't see your feet are an awesome idea!!!!!

Go jumping puzzles! Go!

Maybe we can wrap ourselves in some kind of gummy velcro-like thing and just stick to everything we touch. No more falling! Ever!

All devs who put jumping puzzles in their FPS should be forced to play Witchhaven a thousand times.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

yes?

Not going to bother, because it will just end up in an argument between two sides that just aren't going to agree.

:wacko:

On a side note, gaming boards have been having the same arguments that nobody ever agrees on over and over again for the last 20 years.

The human race thrives on unresolvable conflict.

I disagree. Might and Magic has always been the superior franchise.

edit: well franchise probably isn't the right word. But yo know what I means. Its TEH BEST!

Edited by CrashGirl

I was considering tossing in Might and Magic, but I didn't know if it was around back then.

Actually, I never really liked Might and Magic. I always preferred Wizardry. For some reason I always lump those two series together. I think its because they paralleled each other so much. After a few years everything starts to run together into one giant mess of memory. At least for me.

And Ultima started off in first-person view (Akalabeth), too, so they all sorta derive from the same mould ...

Akalabeth was Richard Garriott's first commercial game, the one that inspired Ultima. The story is a classic one which many people know; he wrote a game just for fun, and the manager at the computer store he worked in sent a copy to an executive at a videogame company. Suddenly, this teenager with no experience except his own interest in games was offered big bucks, and found himself with a new career developing his next game, which became Ultima. It's a gamer's dream come true. But what most people don't realize about the story are the 30 or more games Richard wrote before Akalabeth; each one written to teach himself programming, each one thrown away when he was done, only to move on to the next. Even Richard Garriott had a couple of years of practice under his belt before he got his "lucky" break with Akalabeth.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT