Good News for GeForce 6-series owners!

angshuman

As a lot of people suspected long back, the 6-series GeForce cards were always capable of performing Transparency AA. Nvidia had kept the feature locked away in the drivers as a 7-series exclusive. It seems there were a couple of hacks with Rivatuner etc. through which it was possible to turn on the feature, but it is now available through official Nvidia drivers.

http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74790

They do it all the time.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I remember back in the days of the Gf3 and 4, the only differance between a 200$ Geforce 4 and a 2000$ Quadro workstation 3D card was the firmware, who could easily be updated

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

But its the good form of slavery, not the one invovling ethnic minorities and cotton! Its perfectly harmless!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

As far as I know ATI does the same crap as Nvidia. I guess they do it with Canadian chicks, though.

Heja Sverige!!

Do you mean that they sold it to me with some of the features locked away so I couldn't use them?  Is that even legal? :(

sure. you paid for exactly what you got, a 6600. that there are extra features is only gravy if you figure it out. the 6800 GT is easily upgraded to ultra status with rivatuner (minus DAC/memory speed), for example, by simply turning on the additional pipes.

in the world of semiconductors, it is quite common, btw. FPGAs are binned for speed (uh, Field Programmable Gate Arrays, the things the "firmware" goes into). AMD/Intel processors could be mucked with externally in the past to change their operating frequencies (there was a big stink about Intel locking the ability a while back). they were the same chips, just configured differently.

reliability is always an issue, however, because typically a chip is only tested to the level at which it is sold. that means, probably, that the transparency AA on a 6x Nvidia card was not tested (this makes it cheaper, too, since they don't have to go through the same level of quality control).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

What exactly does Transparency AA do?

And what's this about making a 6800GT an "Ultra?" Explain, please (in more lay terms). :(

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

And what's this about making a 6800GT an "Ultra?" Explain, please (in more lay terms). :-

Info on Transparency AA:

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/transparency_aa.html

Tutorial on unlocking pipelines:

http://www.ngohq.com/showthread.php?t=268

Hope this helps.

Heja Sverige!!

IIRC the 6800GT and Ultra had the same number of pipelines. The only differences were the memory and core clock speed (I think the DAC speeds are the same too. In fact, I believe the DAC speeds are the same across *all* video cards and have nothing to do with performance. Isn't the DAC simply a converter that generates the final RGB signal? If you're using a DVI connection the DAC is probably not used at all. I could be wrong though.)

As far as unlocking pipelines goes, I think you're talking about the AGP version of the "vanilla" 6800 (also known as the 6800nu), which had 4 masked pipelines that you could unlock to get the GPU core (but not memory) up to 6800GT specs.

@Arkan: Take a look at the screenshots in the nvnews.net thread I linked to. Regular antialiasing cannot handle aliasing resulting from transparencies (typically used in fences, trees, grass, ladders, etc.) If you have HL2, go to the bridge level in Highway 17 and you'll see what a difference TAA can make.

And what's this about making a 6800GT an "Ultra?" Explain, please (in more lay terms). :)

Info on Transparency AA:

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/transparency_aa.html

Tutorial on unlocking pipelines:

http://www.ngohq.com/showthread.php?t=268

Hope this helps.

Hmm...I can't seem to download the rivatuner program :-

edit: n/m

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

As far as unlocking pipelines goes, I think you're talking about the AGP version of the "vanilla" 6800 (also known as the 6800nu), which had 4 masked pipelines that you could unlock to get the GPU core (but not memory) up to 6800GT specs.

@Arkan: Take a look at the screenshots in the nvnews.net thread I linked to. Regular antialiasing cannot handle aliasing resulting from transparencies (typically used in fences, trees, grass, ladders, etc.) If you have HL2, go to the bridge level in Highway 17 and you'll see what a difference TAA can make.

Yeah, this only works for AGP cards. Sucks. Oh well.

IIRC the 6800GT and Ultra had the same number of pipelines. The only differences were the memory and core clock speed (I think the DAC speeds are the same too.

uh, no. i have a GT and managed to turn on two extra pipes. the GT is the same core as the ultra, just less pipes (untested, and not always working when turned on, though mine are working).

In fact, I believe the DAC speeds are the same across *all* video cards and have nothing to do with performance. Isn't the DAC simply a converter that generates the final RGB signal? If you're using a DVI connection the DAC is probably not used at all. I could be wrong though.)

i don't think the DAC speeds are the same, though it would not make any processor performance difference either way... just a crisper screen.

nope, GT to ultra.

taks

uh, no.  i have a GT and managed to turn on two extra pipes.  the GT is the same core as the ultra, just less pipes (untested, and not always working when turned on, though mine are working).

nope, GT to ultra.

Both the Ultra and the GT have 16 *functional* pixel shaders and 16 ROP's each, in both AGP as well as PCI-e form. Some references:

I have no idea how you managed to turn on 2 extra pipes on your GT. Did you buy the card recently? Maybe you managed to get hold of an uncommon card from somewhere? A 7800 labeled as a 6800 perhaps? Could you give the detailed un-modded specs of your card - Core clock, memory clock, vertex shaders, pixel shaders and ROPs? Did you go from 12 --> 14 or 14 --> 16 or 16 --> 18?

Edited by angshuman

I think it's not unusual for even top cards to come with blocked pipes. The 7600GT, for example, is the best card there is with the G73 core but still has 4 blocked pipelines.

Heja Sverige!!

Yes, that's how the 7-series GPUs happen to be configured and sold by Nvidia. The 7800GTX has 24 pipes, the 7800GT has 20, the 7600GT has 12 (was it 16?) etc. The 6-series was configured as follows: 6800 Ultra = 16, 6800 GT = 16, 6800 = 12, 6800XT = 8, 6600GT = 8, etc. The NV40 and NV45 cores had a maximum of 16 pipes, whether they were enabled or not. Of these, only the AGP 6800 had masked pipes. ASUS also tried to dupe a few customers by selling a "6800 GTO" which was essentially an overclocked 6800 and nowhere close to a real GT. Gainward sometimes does the reverse, i.e., sell a higher-end GPU as a lower-end "golden sample". However, these are extremely rare occurrences.

Gah! we're wasting precious forum space over a silly argument :lol:. Bottomline, as we all know, is that masked pipes do exist, and it doesn't hurt to download RivaTuner and give it a shot. Taks, I think you somehow managed to get hold of a 7800GS badged as a 6800GT! :(

Also, unfortunately, 7-series Geforces have their unused pipes laser cut so you can't use Rivatuner to unlock them.

Heja Sverige!!

I have a GeForce 6800 GT (upgraded from FX 5900 recently) and from my 3DMark scores it is pretty evident that I am having the complete 16-pipeline edition.

I think the other poster may be talking about the 6800 GS rather than GT.

It is a good thing to see this transparency AA on GF6 cards. I hope it is made a standard feature and not exposed to one driver only.

Thanks, I'm installing these now.  :ermm:

If you want to install ForceWare 91.45 on anything other than a GeForce 7950GX2, then you will need a modified nv4_disp.inf file. In this case, I recommend you to download these drivers from the below link:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1468

In this link, the file is pre-modded to include support for common GeForce cards.

I have no idea how you managed to turn on 2 extra pipes on your GT. Did you buy the card recently? Maybe you managed to get hold of an uncommon card from somewhere? A 7800 labeled as a 6800 perhaps? Could you give the detailed un-modded specs of your card - Core clock, memory clock, vertex shaders, pixel shaders and ROPs? Did you go from 12 --> 14 or 14 --> 16 or 16 --> 18?

offhand, i'm not sure as i did not purchase it through newegg, i.e. i don't have the order history handy. i'll check.

i agree, however, it is screwy. i turned on a total of 4 units, though i do not recall which.

taks