Isreal invades Lebanon

Kaftan Barlast

What? We're not? And I brought my pitch fork and everything... :(

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I'd appreciate it if you didn't use the word "we". "They" were animals. Not the rest of mankind.

The exceptions are the ones perpetrating such vile acts, not the other way around.

And yes Kum...I know it's pointless. I'm just bored out of my mind.

Human beings are animals, mammals belonging to the primate family, and just like all animals we have instincts that govern our behavior. Fear, hate, lust, and greed are all part of it. Those who do the vile acts are the ones who have let go of their inhibitions that have been hammered in us by society and civilization.

Also I know this is a pointless argument as well. I am so bored its not even funny. Dammit, I need NWN 2. Grrrrr...

I'd appreciate it if you didn't use the word "we". "They" were animals. Not the rest of mankind.

The exceptions are the ones perpetrating such vile acts, not the other way around.

And yes Kum...I know it's pointless. I'm just bored out of my mind.

Human beings are animals, mammals belonging to the primate family, and just like all animals we have instincts that govern our behavior. Fear, hate, lust, and greed are all part of it. Those who do the vile acts are the ones who have let go of their inhibitions that have been hammered in us by society and civilization.

Also I know this is a pointless argument as well. I am so bored its not even funny. Dammit, I need NWN 2. Grrrrr...

Well, yes, of course we're animals, literally, but not figuratively.

The few who commit atrocities are not representative of all mankind. There are far more decent, or good people out there than you seem to think, which is a sure sign of deeply ingrained pessimism. :(

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

The thing is if you place those good and decent people into the same position and history of those who commit the atorcities will they act with their inhibitions intact or would they act on their instinct?

That is the key question. If you were in Hitler's place in history, raised as he was, experienced what he did, saw what he saw do you think you would be different from he or would act and react to the same situations as he would?

Human beings are animals, mammals belonging to the primate family, and just like all animals we have instincts that govern our behavior.  Fear, hate, lust, and greed are all part of it.  Those who do the vile acts are the ones who have let go of their inhibitions that have been hammered in us by society and civilization.

Freud would love you.

Those that commit vile acts are the ones that have let go of their inhibitions. Those that do not, don't do it because they are inhibitted.

Just like the Oedipus complex. Little boys are sexually attracted to their mothers. Those that claim not to be, do so obviously because they have repressed the feelings.

Those that commit vile acts are the ones that have let go of their inhibitions.  Those that do not, don't do it because they are inhibitted.

Bingo. Never liked Freud.

- Everlast

Of course there are individuals who no longer need the inhibitions of society because their instincts have "changed" or evolved. Those few individuals have transcended from our animal origins and the baser instincts have pretty much been "weeded out" of them.

They are rare and if human society lasts long enough perhaps the entirety of the human race might reach that point.

What?

Now the instincts of people have changed? Wouldn't that make the instincts not actually instincts at all?

What instincts do they possess? Or are you just creating another unfalsifiable theory?

No, we are not.  I hope, fervently, that they will not kill us, either.

Dude, I'm already dressed and ready to go hijack a B-52 over at Beal AFB. What the hell man?

Beal AFB is closer to my home than my work. The Air Force hides a bunch of their spook planes and bombers there. I know this one dude who used to fly an SR-71 for a living.

What?

Now the instincts of people have changed?  Wouldn't that make the instincts not actually instincts at all?

What instincts do they possess?  Or are you just creating another unfalsifiable theory?

Actually Hades is right. Supposing an instinct becomes useless due to societal or world changes than evolution should strip the genome of it and bring in new instincts. It's similar to how there's rattlesnakes that set off their rattlers when they sense something near them, and then there's some that don't. Humans have been killing off the ones that rattle seeing them as a threat, and consequentially breeding a new silent but deadly variant of rattlesnakes.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Well I would say that at the least we have derailed ... always a sensitive reality is our specie's predilection for violence. I thank the majority of contributors for challenging that tendency.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon: