Why did you join he military?

Kaftan Barlast

Aren't journalists also responsible for promoting said politicians?

No, we dont have anything like FOX News in Sweden :huh:

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

One thing that all these "you owe your freedom to the men in uniform, out there right now, protecting the country" arguments is that I cant understand how its relevant. My grandpa's generation fought in WW2, they held back the Russkies in the Finnish winter war. But that was 60 years ago and grandpa is dead.

There are no men in green doing diddley squat to protect my freedom now. Weve got some soldiers in the UN helping people in africa and afghanistan, and for that they deserve no small credit. But are they protecting my freedom? Are they doing anything for me or my country? No.

No?

LOL

Aye, the world is a perfectly safe place, where threats like North Korea, Iran, and possibly even China and (up until the 90's) Russia only exist as figments of the imaginations of those madmen that run the world. Aye, militaries only exist because some boys like their toys too much, and they think it's nice to go on parades in foreign countries.

Cheers from the gingerbread house!

And if youre going to take it even further and ardess this issue with the war on terror. Youve leveled two countries thus far just to be able to protect yourselves from terrorism but in the US, more people die in car accidents every year than has ever been killed by terrorists.

So, if theres anyone slaving away every day keeping you safe an protected.. its not the delta force, its not the FBI, its not the SEALs.. its the traffic police.

Seriously, Ford has killed more people than Bin Laden ever did ;)

Too true. We should forbid cars. And while you're at it, how about we outlaw coronary disease as well, seeing how it's the first cause of death in the western world and all...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Aye, the world is a perfectly safe place, where threats like North Korea, Iran, and possibly even China and (up until the 90's) Russia only exist as figments of the imaginations of those madmen that run the world. Aye, militaries only exist because some boys like their toys too much, and they think it's nice to go on parades in foreign countries.

Cheers from the gingerbread house!

That is such an unfair comparison. The gingerbread house in Hans&Gretl had an evil witch inside it, ok? An evil witch. And even though its possible that China is behind the ever increasing obesity of Americans in order to fatten them up before a massive cannibalistic sneak attack to feed their billions of citzens, those of us with little meat on our bones would have nothing to worry about.

I still stand firm in my statement that I require no men in green to keep me safe at night. In fact, I would be quite uncomfortable with them in my bedroom. They could overhear me talking in my sleep and then tell all my friends.

Too true. We should forbid cars. And while you're at it, how about we outlaw coronary disease as well, seeing how it's the first cause of death in the western world and all...

Why only go as far as to forbid cars? You know what I say? Forbidding is not enough. Forbidding does not sent a strong enough message to those axes of evil we meet every in Ford, General motors or Toyota. What we need is a war against automobiles! Itll show that flashy, gas-guzzling, trafficly unsafe Hummers when we hit em over the head with cruise missiles.

And coronary disease? Please, thats just a constructed myth perpetrated by those liberal health freaks to hurt perfectly innocent corporations like McDonalds and Pizza Hut. And besides, if D i c k Cheney can have two heart attacks a month and still have the strength to shoot a man in the face.. people are just whiny, thats all Im saying.

note: edited for Gravitas

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Tonight is Midsummer's Eve (Sankt Hans aften) and per tradition, we're gonna have a goooooood witch burning. :shifty:

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Well said, Taks. Personally I watch Fox News all the time and I think its highly unfair the way theyre being criticized for being biased. So what if they say "Republicans good, Democrats bad" ? I mean, being objective and unbiased is about seeing things from a sort of overhead central perspective, and who is right in the middle of the center looking out? You are. So Fox are simply just reporting from THEIR objective and unbiased perspective. Its perfectly logical.

YOU LEAVE ALYSSAN HANNIGAN ALONE!  :shifty:

No. Im sorry Hades, but you're just going to have to face up with reality. Miss Hannigan has got to go. The National Bandcamp Association are not the kind of people you want to provoke, and now she has to pay the price.

Well, I'm fairly sure he, like myself, doesn't read or watch Al Jazeera either. :shifty:)

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Well said, Taks. Personally I watch Fox News all the time and I think its highly unfair the way theyre being criticized for being biased.

then i withdraw my remark. given the overabundance of criticism and related hypocrisy, i took your original comment as sarcastic, rather than as one of "we don't get other opinions". apologies.

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

Well, I'm fairly sure he, like myself, doesn't read or watch Al Jazeera either. :-)

nope, count me in that same club. i do not spend a lot of time criticizing al jazeera, either (though i have in the past). however, the things that they do manage to put out for the rest of the world to watch are, shall we say, extreme by most standards. extreme enough that even the so-called "biased media" of the left OR right would not be willing to publish.

as noted by kaftan, however, "bias" is measured from individual perspective. those typically complaining about fox bias are probably looking on from the left and vice-versa for those complaining about other networks.

taks

Given that I think Kaftan is rather left wing, don't you think he was being sarcastic in the last post? I certainly thought so. :o

As for me, I only watch national tv stations. :thumbsup:

DENMARK!

..don't you think he was being sarcastic in the last post?

You take that back right now, mister! Ive never been sarcastic in my LIFE and you know it!!

Aye, the world is a perfectly safe place, where threats like North Korea, Iran, and possibly even China and (up until the 90's) Russia only exist as figments of the imaginations of those madmen that run the world.

One question: those three great nations you just mentioned: how many times have they travelled across the world to try to invade another country? I sure as hell have never felt threatened by any of those countries.

I know YOU think USA is the world police that keeps everyone else in their place and that everyone should be grateful for this service. You have to realize though that while 5% of the world's population (North America) probably believe that BS, the rest of the world sees one powerhungry superpower that attacks smaller countries depending on their oil reserves or the whim of a notion (because it's election year, for example).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

One question: those three great nations you just mentioned: how many times have they travelled across the world to try to invade another country? I sure as hell have never felt threatened by any of those countries.

well, given that the US and NA in general are rather isolated from "the rest of the world" by those massive oceans respectively named "Atlantic" and "Pacific", this statement is relatively disingenuous. NK, china, russian and just about every other one of those countries you feel safe about have equal histories of invading other countries. they don't travel across the world to get to them because all they have to do is walk next door to accomplish the same thing. the US isn't invading canada or mexico or even SA, either, btw.

taks

they don't travel across the world...

That's my point. So why are you so afraid?

i'm not afraid of anything. but you seem to think the rest of the world is so virtuous yet you openly ignore the fact that it has an equal history of invading other countries. why invade "in the rest of the world" when you can walk next door.

look up the definition of disingenuous.

taks

And why is that? Because you know they aren't going to get involved in a war they can't win. And it's not because they fear the overwhelming might of the Swedish military, I assure you.

If you really believe they wouldn't try to "spread the revolution" as far and wide as they materially could, you are either deluded, or plain ignorant.

I know YOU think USA is the world police that keeps everyone else in their place and that everyone should be grateful for this service. You have to realize though that while 5% of the world's population (North America) probably believe that BS, the rest of the world sees one powerhungry superpower that attacks smaller countries depending on their oil reserves or the whim of a notion (because it's election year, for example).
It's lovely of you to try and dismiss my opinions as those of a mindless right-wing drone. However, you'll be hard pressed to find any quotes from myself in which I express clear personal satisfaction at US foreign policy.

And next time, try to actually put something tangible in your post, as ad hominem and appeal to common belief fallacies are just worthless filler, and they don't really contribute anything to the debate. I know old habits die hard, but please, just quit being the demagogue. It gets old real fast. :devil:)

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It was a war that saw Sweden fall from their status of a great power. But that is hardly relevant here, not only because it is 300 years ago, but also because I'm fairly sure that neither Denmark, Russia, Poland or even Saxony (:o) are planning on attacking Sweden again in this day and age. We, at least, just :- them too much... even though Sk

Edited by Lucius

DENMARK!

I joined because I'm a patriot and want to serve my country. Plus, it's all I've ever wanted to do since I was a kid. The weapons also had an influence on me joining. What can I say, I love to shoot ****. :)

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

If you really believe they wouldn't try to "spread the revolution" as far and wide as they materially could, you are either deluded, or plain ignorant.
And next time, try to actually put something tangible in your post..

Haha, you're funny. You sure as hell don't "appeal to common sense" though.

Look out, teh Revolution is coming!! Thank god for those clearsighted americans who bomb all those oil-rich little revolutionary countries before they have a chance to spread their commie plague all over the world! -_-

Haha, you're funny. You sure as hell don't "appeal to common sense" though.
Huh? Are you being truculent just for the sake of it or you just forgot to turn on your screen before attempting to reply? It's not an "appeal to common sense", read again. It's an appeal to common belief fallacy, as in "only Galileo knew the Earth was round, while everyone else thought he was just nuts. Therefore, he was obviously nuts". That is a fallacious reasoning, and it's the lowest level of anti-American propaganda. There is much better crafted propaganda around, but taking it in and using it in a debate is obviously beyond your meager intellect. Keep going though, it's fun to see how even despite the fact that you can't understand what's being said, you keep charging forward blindly. You get bonus points for the extra effort.

Look out, teh Revolution is coming!! Thank god for those clearsighted americans who bomb all those oil-rich little revolutionary countries before they have a chance to spread their commie plague all over the world!  :)
And this is a straw man. I dared you to find quotes by myself in which I expressed opinions remotely similar to this. Instead of doing that, you took the clown approach, and randomly bashed the keyboard in hopes of producing a valid reply.

You failed.

Edited by metadigital

And next time, try to actually put something tangible in your post..

Again, I'll be so bold as to quote your own words. It's just too bad that you don't follow your own advice. I am sure that in your head what you write sounds like something intelligent and worthwhile.. or even tangible. For the rest of us it's like watching a monkey throw poop at its own mirror reflection.

But hey, don't let me stop you from sitting at home feeling proud of your bloated defense industry and worrying about.. Zimbabwe (why not?) perhaps hiding a WMD in a village somewhere.. And don't forget.. They're out to get you!! :))