Rate the two games I bought today...

><FISH'>

Advent Rising and Deus Ex: Invisible War.

I'm only a few hours into AR and I can safely say that this is one of the best games I've ever played.

I heard advent rising was written by Orson Scott Card, the same buy that wrote the Enders Game Series, I loved that series. :devil: Hes a mormon though, it shocks me how some brilliant people can believe in such stupid ideas. Ideas like believing in some crack who reads egyptian hyrogliphics by reading rocks out of a hat.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I think by normal standards DX:IW is a fine game, one that I've enjoyed at least, I still get the urge to play it. In comparison to the original though it is decidedly lacking.

Same deal with Deadly Shadows really, though that was probably better than DX:IW.

Deus Ex: IW doesn't compare to the first Deus Ex, but I wouldn't call it a bad game.

Advent Rising could have been put together a little more tightly, but it is definitely an interesting game. It was announced as a trilogy, so I just hope the other two games actually get made. I hear the sales weren't very high, but I don't know the actual numbers.

Deus Ex: IW doesn't compare to the first Deus Ex, but I wouldn't call it a bad game.

Advent Rising could have been put together a little more tightly, but it is definitely an interesting game. It was announced as a trilogy, so I just hope the other two games actually get made. I hear the sales weren't very high, but I don't know the actual numbers.

I'm sure they got cancelled :( I don't understand how a game as good as AR could have low sales...

Wasn't Advent Rising panned by Gamespot? How are the controls fish, I think that was a major gripe.

The controls aren't as bad as reviewers say they are. They are actually quite fluid (probably more so on PC). One really great thing is you can enter a slow-mo mode when you dodge, which enables you to target your enemy with a power/weapon with great accuracy. There is even an optional 1'st person mode.

I think the main reason that the reviewers disliked advent was that somewhere in the game there was a MASSIVE turning point where you go from "eh... I have powers but I need to use guns too" to "YEEE HA! This must be what God felt like (if he ever got in a fight)"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Personally, I loved AR and too feel saddened that there will most likely be no sequels. However, the Mustard Bros & Co. have formed a new gaming company: Chair Entertainment, so there might eventually be hope. At the moment, they are working on another game based upon the upcoming Orson Scott Card novel, Empire.

As to why the game sold so badly, I would say there are two reasons:

1. Review sites utterly bashed it.

For some reason, gaming sites, Gamespot in particular, absolutely hated this game, despite liking almost every part. The only parts they seem to have had trouble with are the graphics and controls, and while these certainly weren't the best features of AR, they are definitely not as terrible as the sites make out. I've heard they received pre-gold versions, but I cannot be sure.

Bad reviews can impact sales.

2. Majesco f'ed up marketing.

At this time, Majesco was losing money hand over fist, having taken big financial hits from expected games like Psychonauts. There was internal turmoil, people were fired, and financial backers sued. Thus, AR was not advertised to nearly the extent it should have been. There were a very few TV commercials, but thats not the big fault.

AR was supposed to have been a preview for SW: Ep 3. Unfortunately, this version only reached a small number of theaters, thus almost nullifying the amount spent.

Edited by Archmonarch

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

I enjoyed AR, Dues Ex not so much

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

wasn't AR the one that had a 1 million doller prize attached to it or somthing that was reniged?

Is this game worth buying?  I didn't pick it up when it was released because of the horrid reviews. 

Actually, this thread reminds me, I still haven't bought Psychonauts.  >_<

Yes it is. The reviewers exagerated every flaw in the game and didn't even focus on its other features. Most of the reviewers haven't even played the game for more than an hour, because the framerate acually clears up after a few hours. I bought a pre-owned copy for

on advent rising, I just got the bugger. It's interesting to say the least as I've played through, I've noticed that once I get my ubermenche powers I cease to rely on anysort of gun.

Also the way they do the targeting is crap. it just doen't like to stay targeted.