Oblivion Thread

I'm interested in you explaining that a bit more.

One of the biggest complaints about MMORPGs is that the players cannot solve major plot episodes, because that would prevent others from doing so. In other words, if NwN2 was MMO, then the plot would be in continuous suspension: no player could actually STOP the King of Shadows, because then no-one else could play ...

The best that could happen is the player could do something locally, like win the fair or stop the Grey Dwarves, because that doesn't (necessarily) affect the global plot.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm interested in you explaining that a bit more.

One of the biggest complaints about MMORPGs is that the players cannot solve major plot episodes, because that would prevent others from doing so. In other words, if NwN2 was MMO, then the plot would be in continuous suspension: no player could actually STOP the King of Shadows, because then no-one else could play ...

The best that could happen is the player could do something locally, like win the fair or stop the Grey Dwarves, because that doesn't (necessarily) affect the global plot.

You can fully kill and stop characters, people do it all the time.

They just respawn. Except for in SWG. There you can't kill major characters because they didn't want to do that kind of suspension of disbelief.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

But they aren't dead if they have respawned.

Are they dead if you take their head?

Regardless of the answer to that, the distinction between defeating a respawning villain and a non-respawning villain does not make your argument from my perspective.

I think you've got the discussion 'round the wrong way.

I was asking you to clarify how your definition of a single-player not-the-chosen-one plot was different from a MMORPG instance, and you have singly failed to do so.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think you've got the discussion 'round the wrong way.

I was asking you to clarify how your definition of a single-player not-the-chosen-one plot was different from a MMORPG instance, and you have singly failed to do so.

An MMORPG instance is a dungeon crawl for loot and experience.

A single-player not-the-chosen-one plot is just like every other single player game just without the implications that the main character was fated to the experience (fated or somehow singly capable of the experience due to no accomplishment of his own, but that of coincidence or again, fate).

Edited by Tale

An MMORPG instance is a dungeon crawl for loot and experience.

A single-player not-the-chosen-one plot is just like every other single player game just without the implications that the main character was fated to the experience.

A single-player not-the-chosen-one plot is just like every other single player game just without the implications that the main character was fated to the experience: a dungeon crawl for loot and experience.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Getting back to Oblivion...

I tried to play it both ways in a certain quest and I got "stuck" with the Honor Blade of Chorrol.

Basically I tried to have both rewards from the Mayor of Chorrol and that Thieves Guild guy by giving the blade to the Mayor Lady, stealing it back and giving it to Mister Thief Guy but the jerk wouldn't have it.

If he knows right away that I double crossed him, how come he doesn't know that I did my Thief job and stole it back for him?

And forget about going to Weatherleah and showing the blade to the brothers to close this quest. They know I stole the friggin' thing!

Thankfully this Blade doesn't weigh anything and it stays in my inventory even when my inventory is taken away from me, like with the Mage Guild quest that makes me infiltrate the Necromancers... :D

On a side note, my hard drive crashed on december 22nd and I had to reformat so I lost everything, including my Oblivion saves and mods after about 30 hours of playtime. Nice, eh?

:angry:

Hopefully the derailments have run their course. :rolleyes:

Anyway, here is a nice mod for people who want to eliminate some of the more well known problems of Oblivion's original design but don't want the huge changes of a mod like OOO.

http://www.bncomputing.com/ob/adventurers.html

The adventurers and super/adventurers for Morrowind were probably the best Morrowind overhauls available and this Oblivion version appears to stand up nicely. No more bandits with daederic weapons! Among a bunch of other things.

I am starting a new game with it and will see how it goes.

Note: Despite the version 1.0 marker, there were several pre 1.0 play testing versions released and this should be relatively bug free. Its also a tiny mod at only 777k.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.