7950GX2 for $582

$582.75

Review.

Yes, it's faster than two 7900GTX's running in SLI. It's faster than *any* gaming-graphics solution you can buy today, irrespective of how much money you are willing to spend.

And yet, this product is an insult to innovation and a slap on the face of computer architecture. Brute Force FTL.

You do realize that to get the most out of a video card like this, the rest of your computer has to be top-of-the-line too, right?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You do realize that to get the most out of a video card like this, the rest of your computer has to be top-of-the-line too, right?

Nah - I'm guessing a regular dual-core AMD-64 w/ a few gigs of Mushkin mem and a 10,000 RPM HD should be more than enough. That and a 500-600W power supply.

manthing2.jpg

Nah - I'm guessing a regular dual-core AMD-64 w/ a few gigs of Mushkin mem and a 10,000 RPM HD should be more than enough. That and a 500-600W power supply.

Meh, so basically the stuff on my spare computer. No biggie.

At resolutions of 1600x1200 with 4xAA/16xAF, a single-core A64 4000+ with 1GB cheapo RAM should be good enough. I feel a modern shader- and bandwidth-intensive game (such as FEAR or Oblivion) is more likely to hit the GPU bottleneck first at these resolutions, even with a card as insane as the 7950.

Aren't we due for Geforce 8? I'm tired of the 7 series, it's a year old!

Yeah, Nvidia's trying to milk the NV4x for all its worth. It was a great architecture when it was first introduced in 2004 as the 6-series but it's getting a bit old now, which is why they are having to resort to tricks like slapping together two cards into one (literally) to create the monstrosity that is the 7950GX2.

Aren't we due for Geforce 8? I'm tired of the 7 series, it's a year old!

Yeah, Nvidia's trying to milk the NV4x for all its worth. It was a great architecture when it was first introduced in 2004 as the 6-series but it's getting a bit old now, which is why they are having to resort to tricks like slapping together two cards into one (literally) to create the monstrosity that is the 7950GX2.

Hey... all the power without SLI... for those of us who were stupid enough to buy a PCI-Express board without SLI feature... :rolleyes:

Maybe I should have waited, my friend, but I'm not depressed. I'll be waiting until the DX10 cards hit the shelves before I shell out the cash for a new card.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Im not going to upgrade my system until the Geforce 8 system is released, which should, provided they keep their regular schedual, be released this autumn.

tricks like slapping together two cards into one (literally) to create the monstrosity that is the 7950GX2.

Thats far from the first dual-card theyve released. There was a double 6800u available last summer aswell.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

My 3DFx Voodoo 5500 is also a SLI onboard card, with two GPU's. This is the reason why Nvidia bought 3DFx in the first place.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Hehe, I remebver that when Voodoo went ape just before they crashed. They released a card with six GPU's that never made it to retail, didnt they?

edit: I would also like to add that the Geforce 8 rumours are pure hearsay, its entirely possible nothing will be released until well into 2007. Although most people think it will be timed with the release of Windows Vista

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Availability would be my guess. This happened to the original 7800GTX (256) and the 7800GT too since Nvidia were getting excellent yields. If the GX2 continues to be available, prices will continue fall. Since it's based on the GT and not the GTX, perhaps they have a reasonably large stockpile. Time will tell.

Well, if it drops to a couple hundred dollars, I might pick up one. Can I SLI it with my 7900GTX?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!