What's your Job? pt 2

Bokishi

I'm a baker.

I bake ...

Donuts

I love you and want to have your babies.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Segment Chief Financial officer for a Fortune 200 company----really cuts into my gaming time---

Azure 79---don't give up on the public accounting---did my 3 years with at that time a Big 8 firm---couldn't stand the political posturing of the industry and got into the private sector---that's where people really recognize what you have to offer...

Working on this.

It seems as though I have a webpage link that I did not know about (that goes to a 404 error naturally).  Guess which name I am? :lol:"

Scripting ewwwwwww....

Most of the work I do isn't specifically scripting based, though there is some code gen.

The point of the program I work on is to allow people to create scripts without having to do the actual scripting.

Interesting.... My point was more that I'm not a fan of scripting AI, it has it's advantages, such as allowing designers a certain amount of control, but scripting languages are an ugly thing.

I'm curious about this little project I assumed it was basically code generation, is it a more drag and drop based interface?

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Well, you load up a module that has items placed in it from the aurora toolset and you select various patterns and specify the parameters for them.

For instance, if you want a secret door, you select the Secret Door pattern, and then specify the two secret door objects you want, as well as the secret door triggers for the destinations.

While not available for public yet, we have recently added independent behaviours, so NPCs can have a bit of life in them rather than just standing around. You can have maniuplators that walk around to various objects using them (perfect for like a maid or something), as well as guards that wander around a target that they are supposed to guard, saying random things. When you get to close to the target, they warn you to step away, and if you get closer, they may go hostile (or you can modify the pattern by setting up your own actions so that they do something else).

The project has assloads of research papers behind it, from pattern based design (My supervisor just went off to China to a Software Engineering talk to demonstrate it from the pattern perspective, using metrics for coverage and efficiency), to alternative forms of story writing in high school English courses (we just finished a study at a local high school where students spent 4 days working on their own story in NWN).

The program is all GUI based though, and most users will go through it never looking at a "real" line of code at all.

Edited by alanschu