NWN2 hardware requirement

Pagan

You seem to be confusing the ability to play a game with the quality of the gaming experience.

I can buy a Radeon X1900XTX card NOW that will allow me to play at resolutions to make the not-yet-released Playstation 3 blanche with embarrassment.

The point is that PC gaming is at a higher specification than console gaming: console gaming is better value, not better quality.

Not really. Quality of the gaming experience should include such factors as work needed to play game, ability to play game at the advertised level (witness the anger over Oblivion's graphics, for example, when players found out that at the lower graphics settings the game was flat-out ugly), reliability (should not experience crashes or memory-leaks), and code as free from bugs as possible (MoO, VtM: Masquerade, numerous others were bug-filled crap-fests), amongst others.

When these factors are included (and, keep in mind, many of the factors that I listed above are independent of the PC the game is played on, and are, in fact, on the developers'/publishers' end of the deal), PC gaming's quality is reduced significantly.

Edited by deganawida

Please take up any moderating issues via PM.

What part of "you should contact the flying mythical creature (A.K.A. Green Dragon A.K.A. Fionavar) for this...you won't be the first to complain" was so violating it had to be replaced with THAT?

I wonder how long it takes for the upper part of that post to dissapear too. I give it 2 hours...

Both of those arguments, though, ignore the true issue in the console vs PC debate, which is compatability (with performance included).  If I buy an X-Box game, I'm virtually guaranteed (barring disk defect or hardware problem) that it will play in my X-Box.  For PC games, however, I have to make sure that I have a compatible video card, enough RAM (and companies are often deceptive in how much RAM is needed), new or special video drivers, a fast enough processor, and may have to exit the game regularly in order to avoid memory leaks.  These are all headaches avoided by consoles.

In all my PC-gaming years (which is like 10) I never had a PC-game not function due to that. My parents would occassionally mess up the PC but that never made the games fully unfunctional (only partly).

Morale: If you don't do incredibly stupid all should be fine game-working wise...

HA, you have games malfunctioning for the PS2 already within 1 year; didn't have that for my PC (unless you count 6 year old games or 386 games not working for non-functional...but the consoles usually don't let you play that old stuff since it is from another generation of consoles) :thumbsup:

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

HA, you have games malfunctioning for the PS2 already within 1 year; didn't have that for my PC (unless you count 6 year old games or 386 games not working for non-functional...but the consoles usually don't let you play that old stuff since it is from another generation of consoles)  :thumbsup:

You misread. My PS2 was malfunctioning, not the game (turns out Sony didn't use robust DVD players in the first generation of PS2, as they didn't expect people to use the PS2 as a DVD-player, despite that being an advertised feature of the system).

"Publish, then patch" is SOP in PC gaming now.

This process is fully supported by the Obsidian Entertainment Forum Community...

"Gimme! Gimme! That missing stuff and non-functional stuff can be added in a patch later! I just wanna have the game now...! Gimme! Gimme!"

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Agh, mine processor is only 1.8 GHz. Well, a gig of RAM should circumvent that lack quite efficiently. Hope my 6600 can manage the game on medium though.

Should be fine ... one of the E3 presentations mentioned that the minimum video spec was Shader Model 2, which is well within the 6600's remit.

:thumbsup:

I certainly hope you're right. I just spent $250 upgrading my RAM (to 1 gig) and video card (to a 6600GT, which also required a new PSU). I really don't want to be barred from playing NWN2 because of a processor that's only 2 gigs.

Console games don't all play with perfect performance, either.

No, but you're guaranteed that they'll play.

Nope.

God of War, Final battle with Ares.

My killing blow resulted in the game "crashing". Everything was moving, sound was playing but I couldn't hurt Ares anymore and the cutscene didn't start.

I had to reload from the last checkpoint and rebattle it out.

That's God of War I'm talking about here...

Nope.

My killing blow resulted in the game "crashing". Everything was moving, sound was playing but I couldn't hurt Ares anymore and the cutscene didn't start.

Don't know that game. PS2?

Anyway, how many console games have you played over the years? How often have you had that problem?

You seem to be confusing the ability to play a game with the quality of the gaming experience.

I can buy a Radeon X1900XTX card NOW that will allow me to play at resolutions to make the not-yet-released Playstation 3 blanche with embarrassment.

The point is that PC gaming is at a higher specification than console gaming: console gaming is better value, not better quality.

Not really. Quality of the gaming experience should include such factors as work needed to play game, ability to play game at the advertised level (witness the anger over Oblivion's graphics, for example, when players found out that at the lower graphics settings the game was flat-out ugly), reliability (should not experience crashes or memory-leaks), and code as free from bugs as possible (MoO, VtM: Masquerade, numerous others were bug-filled crap-fests), amongst others.

When these factors are included (and, keep in mind, many of the factors that I listed above are independent of the PC the game is played on, and are, in fact, on the developers'/publishers' end of the deal), PC gaming's quality is reduced significantly.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

If you purchase a QUALITY GAMING RIG, you will not have a bad gaming experience.

Period.

You might not have good value-for-money, but you will play the game BETTER than a console gamer.

Guaranteed. (A pair of CrossFire X1900XTs can draw resolutions of capable of powering the Dell 30" LCD panel at 2560 x 1600, that's WQXGA, baby! The Xbox 360 can't do better than 720p, which is 1280

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

If you purchase a QUALITY GAMING RIG, you will not have a bad gaming experience.

Period.

You might not have good value-for-money, but you will play the game BETTER than a console gamer.

Guaranteed. (A pair of CrossFire X1900XTs can draw resolutions of capable of powering the Dell 30" LCD panel at 2560 x 1600, that's WQXGA, baby! The Xbox 360 can't do better than 720p, which is 1280

Are you suggesting that the development of games on one platform (consoles) is inherently easier and less troublesome than another (PCs)?

Because they are both IT development projects.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Nope.

Don't know that game. PS2?

Anyway, how many console games have you played over the years? How often have you had that problem?

I've seen much worse but not often, you are right. However that is because all(not including LucasArts') are fully patched when they are released. For a long time now PC games are patched after release. This fact is about to change though because console games are now patchable so expect to see a lot more bugs in your console titles when they ship... :thumbsup:

This fact is about to change though because console games are now patchable so expect to see a lot more bugs in your console titles when they ship...  :thumbsup:

Heh, currently the only console that I have is the X-Box, and no games for it (I tend to rent most console games that I play). I play primarily on my PC for the moment (that may change). Won't affect me too much, anyway, as my gaming hours are decreasing and decreasing (still haven't beaten Oblivion, and I've had it since release).

I'm just saying you aren't guaranteed to play a crossplatform game better on a PC simply because of superior hardware.  It's certainly very possible, but there are other things to consider...

Um, that wasn't what I was saying, either.

I said that PC gaming gives better performance: the graphcis and sound are better, because the games don't have to be build DOWN to a unified standard, they can take advantage of hardware that hasn't even been released yet (think of Doom 3).

Mr deganawida then replied that there was a greater chance that a game on a PC will not play, as compared to a console. (I remember the problems I had with Theme Park Tycoon, on whatever console that was.)

I said that was not a factor for top-end systems.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

This fact is about to change though because console games are now patchable so expect to see a lot more bugs in your console titles when they ship...  :thumbsup:

Heh, currently the only console that I have is the X-Box, and no games for it (I tend to rent most console games that I play). I play primarily on my PC for the moment (that may change). Won't affect me too much, anyway, as my gaming hours are decreasing and decreasing (still haven't beaten Oblivion, and I've had it since release).

Well very soon(I say 2-3 years tops) those games that you rent will be buggy and you will need to patch them to play properly, just like PC games.

On-topic: I'm slowly switching back to console gaming(PS2) as my PC is outdated and I don't have enough moola to upgrade(like for NWN2 and Oblivion). The only downside to PC gaming.

If you buy a high end system, I'm almost compelled to say that any game that isn't overwhelmingly buggy would have no problems being played (in terms of playability) on a computer.

What PC game isn't overwhelmingly buggy nowadays? "Publish, then patch" is SOP in PC gaming now.

Almost all of them? The vast majority of people seem to be having no problem playing Oblivion. It's just the vocal minority you hear on their forums.

Civ 4 ran fine, as did Call of Duty 2. Space Rangers 2 has no problems. And that's just the last 4 games that I have had time to play lately (well, Freelancer as well....but that's an older game. But it never had a patch released for it).

The last game I can remember being unable to play until completion was Bloodlines. I'm at work right now, but if you want, I can compile a full list of games I have bought since Bloodlines.

If you buy a high end system, I'm almost compelled to say that any game that isn't overwhelmingly buggy would have no problems being played (in terms of playability) on a computer.

What PC game isn't overwhelmingly buggy nowadays? "Publish, then patch" is SOP in PC gaming now.

Almost all of them? The vast majority of people seem to be having no problem playing Oblivion. It's just the vocal minority you hear on their forums.

Civ 4 ran fine, as did Call of Duty 2. Space Rangers 2 has no problems. And that's just the last 4 games that I have had time to play lately (well, Freelancer as well....but that's an older game. But it never had a patch released for it).

The last game I can remember being unable to play until completion was Bloodlines. I'm at work right now, but if you want, I can compile a full list of games I have bought since Bloodlines.

Freelancer patch 1.1 from the official site.

And on Gamespot

Only small stuff though. It's a great game :thumbsup:

Edited by astr0creep

"OMG OMG PCVSCNSLO JOIN TEH FNU"

Do you have to go through this every damn thread? I mean there has to be another path a thread can evolve than platform-fanboyism. SRSLY.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Freelancer patch 1.1 from the official site.

And on Gamespot

Only small stuff though. It's a great game :thumbsup:

It's a server patch. I don't need to patch it to play the game, nor do I need it to play online.

So?

Many games have patches. But you certainly don't need it. And it only affects a significantly small subset of the entire user base (those that run servers).

I don't have a patch to play the game. And I don't need a patch to play the game.

I guess I should have clarified, because I did know about the server patch (since I checked for any patches when I reinstalled the game). But there's no client patch, nor is there a patch for the single player, or even to play in the multiplayer. For simply playing the game, there is no patch.