Any games for the AGEIA PhysX processor?

Apparently modern GPUs aren't able to keep up with all the new objects the PhysX processes and throws out on screen. Either that, or the PhysX itself isn't able to cope with the physics computations devs are currently throwing at it. Bottom line is, plug a PhysX in your machine, and your framerate goes down. Deceleration FTL. :-

This might go into my next system, the one I'm currently planning. For my wife's system, I'm not opening the damned thing unless something goes wrong. When I do, it won't be to put in a physics excelerator.

By the time I build the upcoming machine, there will be more information on whether this is a good buy or not.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I wouldn't call the PhysX PPU a good buy just yet. Not only is it extremely expensive, they haven't worked out the bugs and quirks in it yet. So far only ONE released game supports it too, although that is bound to change.

I will take a wait and see approach to this one. Rumours say that Gothic 3 might take advantage of it though, which is when I would consider buying one.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I wish Bioshock was on that list. It seems to me like it's the type of game that could really benefit from enhanced physics.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

First see if UE3 (yeah, UE, from Unreal Engine :rolleyes:") will not be released around the time Nvidia and ATi made their cards that way that PhysX is not even needed anymore... (for an cheaper price... well actually a bit more expensive, but... seeing as you also get a GPU improvement...)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

True. It's not so clear to me that this option will gain mainstream support, as opposed to nVidia's solution, something else, or nothing altogether. The Voodoo was preceeded by the Rendition Verite...and that didn't last. I would suggest the Rendition was more compelling (for its handful of titles) than a card that offers prettier explosions at the potential cost of poorer performance.

We'll see.

When frame rates are already really high, people will be more willing to add the pretty explosions.

3dfx gambled that no one would be interested in a GeForce card that ran games slower with hardware T&L, but they did.

I don't think 3DFx ever released a quad-SLI card though. I have the 5500 version with two GPU's on it (HUUUUGE card) but I think the next model (6500?) would have used four cores. 3DFx died before they could release it though.

Of course, I might remember wrong, but I'm at work so someone else google the crap out of it if you're interested in real facts :))

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

From what I have read it's definitely wait and see as far as the Aegia processor goes.

1. There's only one released title that supports it and the PPU doesn't do a lot for it, by all accounts (GRAW).

2. There are alternative technoliges that may achieve market dominance (eg the Nvidia/Havok solution).

3. Early investors in new tech always pay a premium.

4. If it's anything like GPUs a new generation will be out shortly.