Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Time to start planning my new computer

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
Okay, my brainy friends, give me a hand. I was thinking of an asus motherboard supporting a dual core AMD chip. Yes, I'm going to take my chance with AMD. So, what do you suggest? I figure that I'll decide on the motherboard, upgradeable to 6 gigs of memory, set with 2 gigs when I build the system, the processor, and then I'll decide on the video card. I've enjoyed and had good luck with ATI, but I'm willing to listen to advice concerning nvidia.

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
How much are you looking to spend on the video card? IMO currently ATi have better high-end and low-end products (X1900 and X1300) but nVidia have better mid-range products (7600GT etc.) ... although you'd probably be hard pressed to find a difference gameplay-wise. Brute-force peak frames-per-second wise, nVidia newest GPUs probably score higher but such scores are quite pointless.

Keep in mind that only the newest ATi cards will give you the ability to run HDR simultaneously with Antialiasing (exception: HL2's HDR implementation runs with AA on all current cards). For Video processing, I seem to remember a review or too declaring nVidia's PureVideo's de-interlacing quality to be superior to ATi's Avivo. ATi may have fixed their bugs with the latest driver revisions, though.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
For the video, I plan on get something in the mid range. I don't want to go over $300. ...But I haven't used nvidia for years.

jaguars4ever

jaguars4ever

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7093 posts
Is now really the time to start a new build, Eldar? The processor market is kind of in flux atm, and the 8 series GeForce cards shouldn't be to far away.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6446 posts
Dual core GPUs, FTW

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
No. It's not imperative that I build it right now. I might wait until the newest vidio hits the market and buy the current models a little cheaper. How long are we talking?

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
All the current mobos are at least 12 months old, too.

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

No.  It's not imperative that I build it right now.  I might wait until the newest vidio hits the market and buy the current models a little cheaper.  How long are we talking?

Intel's Conroe should arrive in about 3-4 months. Same timeframe for AMD's socket AM2. I believe the shipping of DX10 GPU's (nVidia G80, ATi R600) will coincide with Vista's shipping (end of 2006, hopefully?)

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15737 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

All the current mobos are at least 12 months old, too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Though I haven't heard of any really new standards coming in. I guess memory for DDR2, but at least you shouldn't be getting screwed by having an AGP only motherboard like I was.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
Rambus's new XDR DRAM looks potentially better (on paper) than DDR.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well, I'm not normally willing to wait for computer purchases just becuase there's "something better" on the horizon. If you play that game, you end up in a waiting cycle forever. However, if we a significant number of releases slotted by the end of the year, then I agree that I should hold tight.

Probably the biggest factor right now is the operating system. I should probably wait for Vista. Let's face it, I'm going to upgrade to vista when it's finally available. I don't want to buy something now and then have to buy an upgrade again. On the other hand, Windows XP home edition is only something like $90. I could get that and then upgrade. This is especially true since you can never tell when Microsoft ship an operating system.

So, if it ends up being the middle of next year, I'll be stuck without a gaming rig the whole time.

Don't get me wrong, I use my wife's right now, but going from three to two computers just doesn't work. Even if I used my laptop for computer gaming, it's only got an ATI mobility x300. Inferior graphics, a slower processor, and hotter than hell. I could warn my hands in the wintertime with the damned machine.

Anyhow, please keep the advice coming. I especially appreciate the links to articles.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm hoping to keep this expenditure down to 2k or less.

Edited by Eldar, 12 May 2006 - 06:03 PM.

Fenghuang

Fenghuang

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1087 posts
My god, for 2k you could buy a supercomputer if all you're doing is adding new parts to the old ones.

jaguars4ever

jaguars4ever

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7093 posts
Well, if one's willing to spend 2k on the GPU(s), but too impatient to wait for the DX10 dual-core GPUs, then the Nvidia GeForce 512MB 7900GTX in Quad-SLI is your best route (cost of Mobo not included). :("

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6446 posts
Without DX10, that quad-sli setup will become obsolete within 3 months!

jaguars4ever

jaguars4ever

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7093 posts
Which is precisely why he should wait. :(

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6446 posts
Hell, everyone's comp is going to be obsolete. I think I'm going to cry right now.

Spoiler

jaguars4ever

jaguars4ever

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7093 posts

Spoiler

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good idea, Bok. That way you can upgrade your Dell monitor too. ^_^

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6446 posts

Spoiler

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good idea, Bok. That way you can upgrade your Dell monitor too. ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dang you prolly need dual-quad-SLI to game on that thing @ XXXHD rez!

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Oh, I don't need to get it before the end of the year. I just need to have an end game in mind. I think your advice is quite reasonable, Don Jags. Hell, Angs made pretty much the same point up above. Apparently, it's all hinging on new hardware coming up within the next few months and the operating system which should hopefully be here before the new year.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty much determined to get all the parts new for this one. I've used my old parts to build my mom's computer. It's not awesome, but it's a p4 2.8ghz with 1 gig of pc3200 ram and a Radeon 9600. She wants me to keep it for her, but I've been reluctant to put any of my own software on it. It is, after all, her computer.

Edited by Eldar, 12 May 2006 - 07:38 PM.

Surreptishus

Surreptishus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1347 posts
The home version of Vista has been delayed till 2007. The professional/enterprise/whatever version is supposed to be released in Q4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users