Hordes of the Underdark MP

alanschu

Huh?All I stated that HOTU was fully playing in MP. This is a fact. All the quotes by BIO in the world doesn't change this fact. Remember, this is fact; not opinion.

BIO, remember, also didn't design NWN with PWs in mind yet PWs do exist.

Just as HOTU OC MP very much exists.

Period.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I've played through all of the official campaigns multiplayer, online and LAN, and have had no troubles what so ever. The only exception being the rare lock/up and crash that. Though, I know NWN has been known for causing the client to crash. Usually in instances with mass spell effects on older machines.

Heh, surprises me what kind of machines people still play it on. Lowest settings possible and they still chug at 7 fps.

*shakes his head laughing*

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

Seriously then, how did you do it?

Because I had to do all sorts of work around to prevent myself from spawning INSIDE the cutscene at the very beginning of the game. And I was completely incapable of going down the well into the Underdark because the dude beside me said I couldn't go and only my roommate's character could go down.

This was only after we spent about a half of an hour trying to get past the opening cutscene.

Seriously, lets play a game. I will go and install it right now.

I wish I could say I'd like to, but I wouldn't want to play HOTU. I've been playing NWN online since the first month of it's released. I'm quite a bit burned out on it. I also have the XP's on CDs so that's 5 cds to install. Very inconvenient just to walk someone through on how to play HOTU multiplayer. The key is is patience and working with the game rather than just blowing through it.

-As for the well, make sure you click on the dome then the rope/hatch to get to undermountain rather than speaking with the Inn Keeper.

- Cut scenes: Be patient and let the dialog go through. Never had an NPC attack me while the dialog was going unless it was scripted to do so. Then again, I was probably playing as a rogue and was stealthed while the dialog started. *shrugs*

The game works in multiplayer it's just a matter if you're willing to be able to think of work arounds. There was not a part in the game where my friend(s) and I ever became "stuck." Good luck.

No no no, we don't have to play the full thing. I just want to see the very beginning, to test it.

It would take a few minutes.

-As for the well, make sure you click on the dome then the rope/hatch to get to undermountain rather than speaking with the Inn Keeper.

Nope, the Inn Keeper piped up and said I wasn't allowed to do that.

The key is is patience and working with the game rather than just blowing through it.

Patience is kind of moot, when the game puts my character inside cutscenes.

Edited by alanschu

No no no, we don't have to play the full thing.  I just want to see the very beginning, to test it . . .It would take a few minutes.

I also have the XP's on CDs so that's 5 cds to install. Very inconvenient just to walk someone through on how to play HOTU multiplayer.

No no no, we don't have to play the full thing.  I just want to see the very beginning, to test it . . .It would take a few minutes.

I also have the XP's on CDs so that's 5 cds to install. Very inconvenient just to walk someone through on how to play HOTU multiplayer.

Dammit....if I knew you I'd actually PAY you for your time.

Wait a minute, what do you mean by "Play HotU multiplayer"

The way you say it, you make it sound like it IS different. I had no problems playing the other OCs in multiplayer. In what way would you need to walk me through HotU multiplayer.

BTW, I extend this invitation (not the money, to play) to anyone else, including Volourn, so I can verify whether or not something has somehow made HotU playable in MP.

Edited by alanschu

When did you play the XP2? Because I tried playing it shortly after it was released.

Also, did you play with an imported character, or a new character? I played with an imported character.

Edited by alanschu

Rarely do bugs manifest, and when they do in the same fashion, across all computers and users for PC games. If we accept that there WAS a problem, as alanschu claims, for SOME users, then if we consider the evidence he has posted, it would seem that there must have been a significant portion of users that were affected by this problem. And since the devpost takes the line of "incomplete feature" rather than "bug", it would seem to me that the HOTU devs simply had "QA and Adjust for MP" very low on their priority list, and as a result a significant portion of the fanbase, excluding AKJ and Volo, experienced the problem.

Or Alanschu could be a big fat liar out to fool us all with conspiracy theories. :)

Well, by reading alanschu's signature, I can claim that he is indeed a liar. I read through that awful mess of a thread and nowhere did I see Battlewookie claim that a typo was a bug (unless the typo was in the actual code and not the dialogue/descriptions).

Isn't it cool when the quote you choose to ridicule someone comes back and bites you in the.. bottom and makes you, yourself, look like the fool?

Anyhow, I don't understand why this thread is even needed. It's like a huge invitation for a flame-fest. A thread dedicated to trolling and the chance to call a fellow board member a liar. Great reasons for a thread!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Or Alanschu could be a big fat liar out to fool us all with conspiracy theories.

So we are ultimately agreed that alanschu is, indeed, fat.

"When did you play the XP2? Because I tried playing it shortly after it was released."

A month or so after release, and it was an imported character from HOTU for me, and a new character for my partner.

btw, The issue isn't that BIO made HOTU for MP. They didn't. As your link shows, they designed it with only SP in mind much like they dodn't design NWN with PWs in mind. However, in spite of their intentions, both are very possible.

As for 'testing' it with you. Nope. I played HOTU 3 times total - twice SP, 1ce MP. That's enough for me even if it's just the 'beginning'. Not worth the effort. I'm not worried if you live for the next 50 years thinking I (and others) are lying about it. For some reason, I tink I'll surive with you belieiving I'm lying scum. In fact, it'll make me proud that you think I'd lie about something like this.

:)

P.S. As above, I don't think you are lying either. Just mistaken.

Edited by Volourn

Well, by reading alanschu's signature, I can claim that he is indeed a liar. I read through that awful mess of a thread and nowhere did I see Battlewookie claim that a typo was a bug (unless the typo was in the actual code and not the dialogue/descriptions).

Apparently when linking to Wikipedia and quoted that Game Design issues are bugs there was some agreement (with only himself as far as I could see) that "Game Design" only consists out of the ingame conversation stuff or something.

Like AI, Level-design, fighting rules, way inventory is done etc. etc. etc. is no "game design" :)

Anyways, still had no reply on the question if you could give me an exploit in a game that wouldn't be a bug...

Now on the current topic: If there was an issue in MP that make you stuck at a certain well because only one player could get through that is obviously a "designer decision" and NOT a glitch. Why do you try to de-power your own argument here by claiming this game-stopping glitch a BUG yourself; even if you frequently stated before that if there was such a thing happening it was a designer decision. HELL, BioWare even confirmed that it was a decision on their part not to have the MP function...? :ermm:

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Isn't it cool when the quote you choose to ridicule someone comes back and bites you in the.. bottom and makes you, yourself, look like the fool?

Apparently you missed the part where Battlewookiee brought it up. If he wishes to adhere to the definition he provided from wikipedia, then he must consider a typo a bug.

Furthermore, it was a point that going slippery slope and taking one example that I disagreed with, and trying to apply it to any example he could think of, isn't going to make me happy either.

It seemed like it went over his head though.

Edited by alanschu

"When did you play the XP2? Because I tried playing it shortly after it was released."

A month or so after release, and it was an imported character from HOTU for me, and a new character for my partner.

btw, The issue isn't that BIO made HOTU for MP. They didn't. As your link shows, they designed it with only SP in mind much like they dodn't design NWN with PWs in mind. However, in spite of their intentions, both are very possible.

As for 'testing' it with you. Nope. I played HOTU 3 times total - twice SP, 1ce MP. That's enough for me even if it's just the 'beginning'.  Not worth the effort. I'm not worried if you live for the next 50 years thinking I (and others) are lying about it. For some reason, I tink I'll surive with you belieiving I'm lying scum. In fact, it'll make me proud that you think I'd lie about something like this.

:lol:

P.S. As above, I don't think you are lying either. Just mistaken.

Unfortunate.

I have given you an opportunity to make me absolutely eat my words, and you're not taking it.

I'd love for the MP to work, but have no one to test it with.

Edited by alanschu

Now on the current topic: If there was an issue in MP that make you stuck at a certain well because only one player could get through that is obviously a "designer decision" and NOT a glitch. Why do you try to de-power your own argument here by claiming this game-stopping glitch a BUG yourself; even if you frequently stated before that if there was such a thing happening it was a designer decision. HELL, BioWare even confirmed that it was a decision on their part not to have the MP function...?  :lol:

Yes, they did.

I'm not "depowering" my own argument. Even Volo concedes that the MP of the campaign was "play at your own risk."

Besides, you kept trying to turn that argument into "people want to be able to drop quest items" and that we are unhappy when we can't. Next, you kept trying to switch to different examples, when the one specifically that I addressed was the "letting people sell quest items."

You then started to go "all in" assuming that I think that all exploits aren't bugs and so forth. (Despite in this thread I did concede my initial wording was incorrect, and stated that many exploits are indeed bugs). There was a very specific reason I only referred to the selling/dropping of quest items.

Edited by alanschu

I'm not "depowering" my own argument.  Even Volo concedes that the MP of the campaign was "play at your own risk."

Volourn is suddenly more/better of a source than BioWare themselves? :thumbsup:

Anyways, you claimed that it was a designer decision and thus NO bug (since bad design and bug where not to be combined). Yet still you found it needed to post:

The multiplayer was broken

Broken = Bug preventing it from working like it should. Contradictive...

Besides, you kept trying to turn that argument into "people want to be able to drop quest items" and that we are unhappy when we can't.  Next, you kept trying to switch to different examples, when the one specifically that I addressed was the "letting people sell quest items."

It was (for me) from the beginning about the fact that if people lost quest-sensitive equipment that would make it impossible to finish the main quest (wheter it was selling/dropping or using it up when you still needed some elsewhere) it was a bug. You claimed it was just "bad design" though, and intended... and should not be catagorised as a bug...

Note that an example is just an example; If it is about selling does that mean that that is the entire point? ... no it is just an EXAMPLE.

I never said anything about being unhappy when you cannot drop a quest item either, but it seemed you and Llyranor tried to make such a claim though...

You then started to go "all in" assuming that I think that all exploits aren't bugs and so forth. (Despite in this thread I did concede my initial wording was incorrect, and stated that many exploits are indeed bugs).  There was a very specific reason I only referred to the selling/dropping of quest items.

You mentioned you could think up ALOT of exploits that where no bugs. Since I couldn't mention ANY I asked if you could mention some. You didn't... is that because it just ain't possible that a exploit ain't a glitch?

And if there was a reason why you only pointed toward sellable quest-items you clearly didn't get the point I tried getting across in my first post. *sigh* Guess I will have to start using atleast 3 examples if I wanted to use an example to prevent people to think that which is talked about in the example is the main point <_<

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Volourn is suddenly more/better of a source than BioWare themselves? ermm.gif

Anyways, you claimed that it was a designer decision and thus NO bug (since bad design and bug where not to be combined). Yet still you found it needed to post:

Broken = Bug preventing it from working like it should. Contradictive...

I'm confused...

What exactly is it, that you think Bioware was talking about when they said that they were not supporting MP?

If Bioware's intention is to never make sure that it is working, how can it not be "working like it should?"

That was the question I posed you...

If BioWare made clear the MP was unsupported how can one make a claim the MP section of HotU was "broken" since it worked as intended...

^

It's "broken" in the sense that trying to play it will result in problems.

I'm not blaming Bioware for this, nor do I expect them to do anything about it. Nor am I calling it a bug. In my experiences, it is not possible to play the HotU campaign, because things are done in such a way that they do not work in multiplayer.

But, they do in spite of BIO's intentions. Alanshu is right that BIO's intention was that HOTU was SP. The result, however, is that it *is* possible. Just like, again, they didn't intend NWN to support PWs yet it very much does... And, as you can see it's not just me making this claim either...

We're both in these regards. :)