What are you playing now...

Darque

If you ever try No One Lives Forever, I'm told you have to get past the first intro stuff before it becomes enjoyable. Me, I couldn't wait that long and stopped playing, so I can't confirm that. I hated those beginning levels, the forced camera angles and story scenes that....well...you'd have to play it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

@Eldar: Sorry if I seemed to aggressive about SS2. It's just that I think the game is God's gift to gamers. :D

Anyway, THIS should help you get System Shock 2 working on your machine.

@LadyCrimson: You can skip the cutscenes in NOLF. You just have to press space. I found them quite enjoyable though.

Edited by Soulseeker

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'll try it on the new system when my replacement video card gets here. I'd really like to try it. That way, I can come here and tell you all you were right and that it is the scariest fps I've ever played. :Eldar's good natured grin icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Maybe my NOLF install was broken...I couldn't skip anything. I tried. The interface really annoyed/frustrated me.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It had a standard FPS interface. :huh:

Heja Sverige!!

No, not the HUI...the 'shoot this man out the window for 3 seconds', lose HUI control, dialog cutscene, another controlable character action sequence for a few seconds, dialog cutscene, repeat and repeat. I did make it out into the courtyard, but by then I was so sick of those dialog cutscenes interrupting the action I quit. heh

Oh, I see! That's just the first mission, though. Everything turns into standard (brilliant) FPS fare after that.

Advice: If you decide to give it another go, play it stealthily.

Heja Sverige!!

SS 2 - for me - is still the best blurring of action/FPS/cRPG ... it's plot and depth remains to be surpassed.

Note: I too like the HL2 plot line fwiiw ...

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are stories told entirely through the eyes of the protagonist. It's not the most explicit story, and all of the "behind the scenes" narrative that Gordon isn't directly a part of is implied with the actions of those around him, or gleaned from radio comm channels. It was really cool listening to the Combine reporting and communicating about my actions as I moved from outpost to outpost when approaching Nova Prospekt.

I love both the games. And the only time I can remember being taken out of Gordon's eyes and he "jumps" somewhere in the game is when he was knocked out in the first game. There's zero breaks from Gordon's perspective outside of that (and it's not really a break from Gordon's perspective anyways, as he's unconscious).

*Spoilers for Half-Life 1 ahead* I'm going a bit from memory since

Half-Life's story started out with Gordon being a physicist analyzing a bizarre mineral sample. He put it in through a mass spectrometer, and it resulted in a resonance cascade that spawned creatures in from a mysterious planet named Xen. Gordon is one of the few survivors not seriously injured, and is suggested by the science team outside to get to the surface and call for help. Unfortunately, upon reaching the surface, it seems that the marines called in for help aren't there to help at all, but rather make sure that everyone stays quiet...permanently. With this hiccup, Gordon must think fast and ends up diving back into Black Mesa (through the air ducts to the surface as a helicopter strafe fires hims and drops marines.

Shortly after getting out of the air vents, Gordon stumbles upon another survivor. He suggests that you get in contact with the Lambda Science team. The next few levels is an adventure to get to that science team. The first up is the blast pit. IIRC, you are told that there's a way through in tunnels under the rocket (or not...this would probably be the weakest part of the trip to Lambda). In any case, there's a three tentacled beast that's blocking your path (and one of the few times I was tense because I was so scared I would make a noice and get instagibbed).

After test firing the rocket (by getting the power, fuel, and oxygen lines restored) and clearing out the monster, you continue your quest to Lambda.

After taking the tunnel shortcut under the blast rocket, you come up to a rail line (and a big baddie fighting some marines). Unfortunately, the power isn't running so there's no way the tram can get moving. Naturally, Gordon will need to restore the power. After getting the power online, Gordon can make way through the rail system on his way to the Lambda team. IIRC you are asked to launch a rocket. I think a scientist needs it up and will get you access to Lambda if you can help him out (though I'm not too sure about this part). Hop back onto the train, and continue heading to Lambda.

But dammit, the track has been sabotaged, and Gordon finds himself falling down a hole. Gordon finds himself in a facilities with a high powered crossbow inside a cage suspended above water. I don't really remember Apprehension too much, except that once Gordon gets himself back on track, he's ambushed and knocked out.

Still woozy, Gordon wakes up in a strange room with boxes. Suddenly, two walls start closing in. Holy crap! He's in a trash compactor (which makes sense, because Gordon did hear one of the marines dragging him comment about how when they were done with him, they wasn't going to be any body). Quickly hopping out of the boxes, he finds himself without any weapons, with no idea where he is. The best bet he has, is to try to get to the Lambda team since they may have an idea of what to do. Once he's out of the processing plant, he still needs to figure out how to get to Lambda from where he is.

Gordon seems to be in a test facility of some sort, and many of the Xen creatures are locked up in cells (some all too willing to get out of those cells too!). On the plus side, members of the Lambda team (I think they are some of the Lambda team...or maybe other scientists that will point you to Lambda. I know you're not at the Lambda facility, as that's on the Lambda Core level) are here! They'll tell you what you need to do. Unfortunately, You'll need to continue to the Lambda facility.

Just outside is a dam (and some fun new targets to try out your new Tau Cannon with, including a Helicopter). Since the door at the end of the dam is sealed off, the only other place that isn't going back is to go through the dam (watch out for the bull squid!). The next level is Surface Tension, which is essentially a live combat zone with plenty of Xen vs Marine vs Gordon action (one of my favourite levels as a result). The level has you avoiding snipers, sneaking through a building filled to the brim with laser trip bombs (don't trip one, or the whole building goes up in smoke). Plenty of action in this level. In terms of story it's additional obstacles Gordon has to overcome on his way to Lambda.

After this level, and many marine casualties, Gordon overhears on the radio for the Marines to "forget about freeman." It's too hot of an area right now (and a Big Blue is running around terrorizing things), so the solution is to air strike the crap out of the place while tactically withdrawing. (but not before you get to have some fun airstriking places (and Big Blue) yourself.

Gordon is now close to Lambda Facility, but the heavy airstriking has caused Gordon to take a small detour underground. AFter dispatching some foes (human and alien alike), Gordon finds himself in the Lambda research facility. Power's out though, and to activate the Lambda Core he'll need to power things up. He also gets the good ol' Gluon gun in this area, by some scientist that cannot bring himself to kill.

In the Lambda Core level, Gordon is first introduced to the teleportation balls. There's some goofy parts where you jump through them and go through the core. Too much jumping and didn't care much for them. Thank goodness for quick save.

Finally, you talk with a scientist who has discovered a way to create a portal to Xen, where you have shown you're capable enough to deal with the menace head on. Since it wouldn't be much of a game if you called it quits now, you go on through.

Xen. Ah Xen. Xen sucked. It was still ok, but a huge step down from the rest of the game. The best part of Xen was the ending. Not only did it mean no more Xen, but it also introduced you to GMan head on (who I think only got his name because an MP model with his skin was called GMan). First off, he thanks you (WTF?). By clearing out Nihalth (or whatever the heck the name of the big boss is), you made it easier for the Armed forces to move into Xen and take it over. The whole time you were essentially a pawn, with the GMan checking up on your progress from time to time (as you can see him around the entire game). In a bizarre twist, he offers you a job, which you can either accept, or he can put us in a battle against overwhelming odds if we prefer (the first time I played this, I figured that the ending was intentionally anticlimactic, as I didn't take him up on his offer). I later realized that the intended ending was to take up his offer and get "employed" by whomever the GMan's employer was. It was a pretty cool ending that I definitely was not expecting.

EDIT: And I loved both NOLF games. The code phrases for your contacts in the first one were fantastic. Such a tongue in cheek games. Easily among my favourite games, let alone FPS games.

Edited by alanschu

NOLF games rock! I loved the russian levels they were hilarious :p .

And ELDER if you have any questions on how to get SS2 running I might be able to help, I had trouble getting mine to work also. After tinkering for a bit it started to work like a charm.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I might take you up on that, my toothy friend. I hope my sound-card can handle it this time. I got everything to work on the game otherwise, but the sound caused a crash every time. I suspect I really will enjoy SS2, but I won't enjoy it, nor will I be scared by it, if there is no sound. I can't play a game without sound. I've a headset just so, if I happen to be up late, I can play games without the wife getting irate.

If I can make the game stable and get the sound to work, I'll play it and report back to you guys.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I started up Legend of Mana.

The music is incredible and the game has this absolutely beautiful visual style.

It's quiet non-linear for a jRPG. You pretty much do the different story-arcs at your own pace (you only have to complete one to "beat" the game, but doing all of them gives you the greatest sense of the world). Combat is a bit on the button-mashy-side, but it's fun and features multiplayer!

I might take you up on that, my toothy friend.  I hope my sound-card can handle it this time.  I got everything to work on the game otherwise, but the sound caused a crash every time.  I suspect I really will enjoy SS2, but I won't enjoy it, nor will I be scared by it, if there is no sound.  I can't play a game without sound.  I've a headset just so, if I happen to be up late, I can play games without the wife getting irate.

If I can make the game stable and get the sound to work, I'll play it and report back to you guys.

If possible, try to play it with four speakers. It makes a huge difference.

What's your sound card, by the way?

Heja Sverige!!

I never tried a good headset, so I don't know, but how is it possible to simulate sound coming from the back with what are effectively two speakers?

Edited by Soulseeker

Heja Sverige!!

I believe it has more to do with pitches and air pressure rather than the actual direction of the sound. In fact, you should still be able to detect front and back noise with an average pair of headphones as well. IIRC, it's why speaker setups include headphones along with 2 speaker setup. Putting headphones on and having your computer set to 2 speaker set up will not result in the same audio as if you were just using headphones.

My Monsoon MM-700 2-speaker setup does it as good (if not better...even in his opinion) than my roommates Creative Labs Inspire 4400 4.1 setup (no kidding...I am deeply, deeply saddened that the speakers are starting to wear out after 6.5 years of use).

The thing about my speakers though, is that they are very directional. If I turn them, I can't really hear audio at all. They were designed specifically to be a 2-Speaker 3D sound setup. They are both flatpanel, and I guess the way the speaker vibrates helps to ensure that the sound coming out of them is as straight as possible, rather than in a semi-circle like most speakers.

According to Monsoon's information, a big failing of standard 2-speaker sets is that the sound tends to reflect off a lot of things (My speakers are supposed to be at a specific angle, with their directions intersecting right in front of my face, forming an isosceles triangle). This is also why headphones can still work well, as interference is reduced. WHen I was buying speakers, I wanted 3D sound, but didn't really have much room for speakers behind me. When I heard about these speakers, I investigated and was absolutely amazed.

My roommate couldn't fathom how I could still have 3D sound with only two speakers, and he had to actually sit in my chair to actually experience it. We tested it with that 3D sound tester most sound drivers come with. To make sure it wasn't because of our expectations, we loaded up a game of Star Wars: Battlegrounds and tested it out. At one point, we loaded up Counterstrike, and we tested the sound. To ensure I wasn't cheating, he removed the powercord from my monitor.

He would run around me firing various shots, and I gave an estimate to where his location was. I didn't get any wrong. He was totally shocked when one time, he fired a shot and I hesitated for a second, and I said it sounded more like he had fired his shot off directly above me (he tried to be a sneaky bastard). In gaming I have never had a problem with my two speaker setup hearing if someone is running behind me.

It really is quite bizarre and it's something that really must be experienced to actually be believed.

Here was an old review.

If you're a fan of Aureal's A3D API, or even the EAX API, you will find that the surround environment of the two flat satellite speakers to rival a full surround sound gaming setup. In fact, quite to our surprise, it is even more convincing than multi point speakers in some circumstances. The clarity of the surround effect was so pronounced that we were taken aback. In particular, the side to side positioning and the sheer width of the field was considerably more convincing than any other two speaker setup, and better than some 4 speaker setups. Up and down positioning was also strong, especially compared to the same positioning from cone speakers.

This sounds amazing!

I'm checking other monsoon speakers right now.

Heja Sverige!!

All the reviews I've found appear to be from five or six years ago. :(

Perhaps there are othe flat speaker manufacturers around.

Heja Sverige!!

List of manufacturers:

LINKY

Edit: The speakers from these manufacturers appear to be incredibly expensive. :ninja:

Edited by Soulseeker

Heja Sverige!!

What about these:

Sonigistix

Heja Sverige!!