Been working on my Dyson Sphere campaign...

Okay, this is the basic way I am writing up the races in Sphere. Keep in mind that I am using Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved as a base as I write this. Those who have questions can ask but for the best direct information on AE should head to www.montecook.com.

It is in PDF format.

Wont the shadier races of your game have a hard time inside the Dyson sphere? I mean its full sunlight 24h a day and not much room for digging dungeon :("

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

There is no underdark if that is what you mean but there is a night and dark cycle in the Sphere. The star in the middle is an artificial sun which dims in intensity to that of dusk/dawn then grows bright as a noon day sun in a 24 hour period. So, technically there is a night and day even though the sun itself never sets.

Also undead are quite different in AE, especially vampires. Vampires in this setting are more like the vampires in Blade but without the sunlight weakness. They can go out during the day, but unless they have the Daylight Adaptation feat they have a -2 penalty on all rolls.

Edited by Judge Hades

As a scientist *cough* Im apalled by this blatant disregard of nuclear physics. You cant dim a star.. the dimmer switch would need to be gigantic :-"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Sounds very...narbondelish.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Its an artificial sun.

When it cycles to night the solar output and luminousity lowers till it gets to a certain point, after that point it increases solar output and luminousity til it reaches its the assigned maximum for day time. Its on a very strict 24 hour timer.

Edited by Judge Hades

Yeah, it being artificial makes a lot of the problems go away (because it presumes that the artificer(s) planned for all the eventualities that might be problematic): even if they are set out in the introduction / prolegomenon, that can actually be part of the exploration of the characters in the game. :(

Also, there is no strict maximum size for the depth of the Dyson Sphere: it could quite easily be a mile or ten miles thick (with sedementary, igneous and transitional rock types, and a fully working rock cycle. In fact, it's madatory. Where there is weather, there must be weathering.

The deepest mine on the planet is a gold mine in South Africa, and it is no more than 4km down. The temperature is so warm, though, that there is a 24hr air conditioning unit running (I think it is mid-30

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The "crust" of the Dyson Sphere is going to be 50 miles thick, then has a molten layer which is 10 miles thick. The molten layer moves in a constant circular motion and basically help similate plate tetonics, volcanoes, earthquakes, and the such, but also renews the rock as well. After the molten layer there is the crystalline computer system that has direct control over everything with the Dyson Sphere. It is about 2 miles thick which stores all the programming, the "souls" of sentient life, and regulates the sun and weather of the Sphere. It also controls the "magic" for it has direct control of the nanite systems that allows magic to exist. Beyon this layer is the Dyson Sphere superstructure and defense systems that protect it and shields it from any outside intruder.

Sounds fine.

I would have made it so that magic exists because the sphere structure leaks nanites, thanks to the teeth of time. Then there could be all kinds of guilds based on the fact that magic in concetrated on the points where from the raw nanites burst to surface and atmosphere. Some would want to control that flow, others would use it and worship the sphere as a power giver/earth mother, some would live next to the flows and slowly become mutated by the constant pounding of energies, etc. You could have factions who mine tech from the cracks and precipices and others who try to ban "magic" and repair the sphere.

But whatever, it's your game. I would have fromed th classes and races around a central theme though.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds