Build a PC for peanuts

I have to say I'm not that impressed. Also, if you already have a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse there's a good chance you already have a chassis, which means you can take away 45

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Brace yourself, Soulseeker. The object of the topic was not to impress you. I know, that might come as a heavy revelation, but try and bear it with bravery and dignity.

I was providing an example of a PC that will play the latest games, for about the same price as a console.

:alien:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Oh, ok. It's just that I already knew that such a PC was possible to build. I didn't mean to appear aggressive or anything.

Go ahead and educate those infidels who think consoles are better than PCs. :blink:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Some 6200s are overclockable to 6600-calibur. SLI two of them and you have 6800 ultra power, maybe.

Not even close.

6200 = 4 pixel shaders, 2 ROPs, 64-bit bus, ~600MHz mem

6800u = 16 pixel shaders, 16 ROPs, 256-bit bus, 1.1GHz mem

In practice, benchmarks indicate that you typically need to SLI two 6600GT's to reach the level of a 6800GT. You'd need an army of 6200's to match up with a 6800 Ultra.

As far as graphics is concerned, the market is very straightforward. The more you pay, the more performance you get, and that's that. It's not a linear curve, but it's MUCH more reasonable than the processor price curve. If you're playing a game at max settings, you'd be hard pressed to notice any difference between a $65 Sempron and a $1000 FX-57.

Metadigital's system makes some smart choices. In my opinion, you should:

- spend the most amount of money on your power supply, video card, and all interface devices (monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers),

- strike a good balance on "core" components like your case and motherboard, and

- get the cheapest processor and memory that you can buy without losing your dignity and self-respect.

Dude, I meant SLI'ing two overclocked 6200's. And maybe you get the power of a standard non-gt 6800.

Yes, that's a lot more reasonable, although I suspect you'd have to overclock the bejesus out of the 6200s to get them to that level. But the thing is, for the price you'll pay for the pair of 6200's, you could easily get a 6600GT. And in all likelihood a stock 6600GT will outperform a resonably overclocked pair of 6200s. Which is exactly the point I was trying to make -- in this business, you get what you pay for. SLI does NOT upset that equation, even if you throw overclocking into the mix.