Good video card for

Jumjalum

I'm upgrading my video card and since I don't know much about the market I was hoping someone could tell me if I'm on the right track. I'm looking at the ATi X800 GTO which I read about in PC Zone (who have it as their recommended budget card) which costs about

Edited by Jumjalum

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

The only AGP card that stands out is the Geforce 7800 GS, but naturally that also stands out in price.

Mikrodatorn (great swedish hardware magazine) tested low to midrange cards in this months number and the XFX Geforce 6600 GT won the "amount of points in 3DMark 2005 per swedish crown" contest. It's the best bang for your buck, so to speak.

XFX GeForce 6600GT 256MB GDDR3, AGP8X, Tv-Out, Dual-DVI, Retail costs

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm in a remarkably similar situation. I've got at rig with a 2.0 ghz processor, currently 512MB of RAM (will double to 1 gig with this upgrade), and an absolutely antiquated 64 MB GeForce 3. I keep putting off shopping around for a respectably modern, reasonably priced AGP vid card. Preliminarily, what I'm wondering is at what point does more vid card stop helping due to my processor/RAM limitations?

For my part, this is all I know about the 7800GS:
XFX GeForce 7800GS AGP

Nvidia has finally responded to the frustrated cries from owners of AGP PCs, and given us a GeForce 7800-series AGP card: the 7800GS. Inside this GPU are six vertex units and sixteen pixel pipelines, but the 7800GS also follows Nvidia's recent strategy to cut down on unnecessary silicon, and has only eight ROPs. At first glance this doesn't look much better than a GeForce 6800GT, but Nvidia has made up for that difference by pushing up the clock speed of the 110nm part.

So, while the 6800GT had a 350MHz core and 500MHz (1GHz effective) GDDR3 memory, XFX's 7800GS has a super-fast 440Mhz core and 650MHz (1.3GHz effective) GDDR3 memory. Not only that, but the 7800GS also features the mathematical features of found in other 7800-series GPUs, including the ability to process up to four operations per pixel shader. This means that the 7800GS can process eight MULs (multiplication operations) and eight MADDS (multiplication and addition operations) at the same time, while the 6800GT can only process four of each. The 7800GS also supports transparency anti-aliasing.

The end result of all this is a fast graphics card that will revitalise older AGP systems at the reasonable cost of

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

That's odd, I was under the impression that the 6800GS was AGP.

Speaking of the 6800 Ultra, note that apart from the 6800GS, the entire range of 6800 cards has been discontinued.
Hmm.

But the 7800GS is definitely an AGP card (see above).

Stupid naming conventions. Apologies for the inconvenience.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

To complicate matters, I've just realised I don't have a DVI connection on my monitor, just a bog-standard one like PCs have had for decades (what are these called?). Looks like I may have to compromise a bit on this. I've cancelled the card I had ordered.

staringcontest8og.gif

To complicate matters, I've just realised I don't have a DVI connection on my monitor, just a bog-standard one like PCs have had for decades (what are these called?).  Looks like I may have to compromise a bit on this.  I've cancelled the card I had ordered.

Most cards with dual-DVI outputs ship with DVI->VGA converters (it's not really a converter, it is merely a socket adapter without any electronics. Your card detects that it is connected to a VGA monitor through such an adapter and sends out a VGA signal instead of a DVI signal). You can also buy one from your local electronics store for 5-6 bucks.

And just to set the record straight, the 6800GS comes in both PCIe and AGP flavors. The AGP version often turns out to be a 6800GT/Ultra with pipes disabled, and people have been successful in moding it to Ultra-Extreme specs.

It's not a problem unless Enoch wants one, I ordered the XFX card so if it's no good I'm screwed. :lol:

I was just looking for something to tide me over until I can raise the funds for an all new PC. I should really have taken this topic to a hardware site but I trust you guys.

staringcontest8og.gif

I ordered a new PC the other week;not top of the line but pretty decent. It comes with a GeForce 7300GS. I haven't been able to find out much about it.

Is it any good or should I upgrade? I just bought FEAR as well so I@d like to know what kind of performance I can expect.

master of my domain

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.