Warp travel.

Lucius

This thread is deep...  :) 

So what if we, the solar system, are already travelling through space? Are galaxies fixed in the universe or do they move, like debris on the ocean?

How long is our galaxy's lifespan relative to the universe? Is it an hour in a day or a second in a century?

If FTL events happen all the time but our galaxy's life in the universe is like a grain of sand at the bottom of the pacific ocean, wouldn't we simply miss it?

Too deep or too dumb?  :(

The solar system is travelling through space, orbiting around the huge agglomeration of black holes at the centre of our galaxy, like planets around a star. So is our Milky Way Galaxy, which is on a trajectory outwards (presumably from the big bang).

That's what relativity is all about: everything is moving relative to everything else.

Our galaxy is less than the age of the Universe, which is calculated at about 15 billion years. Our solar system is about 5 billion years old, IIRC. Million seconds equals about eleven and a half days. A Billion seconds is over 32 years.

Yes.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The alpha quadrant refers to our Milky Way galaxy (100,000 light years in diameter).

All we have is information on is the known universe.

It's impossible to go faster than light speed. In order to reach a distance place in a short order of time is to warp it, which the only thing that is powerful enough to do that is a singlarity.

So, what exactly is it entangled photons do ? :("

Technically speaking the photons are travelling FTL, they are just communicating with each other faster than light can travel between them.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

There is a school of thought that says the scientists operating particle accelerators are taking an unconscionable risk with our civilisation because, so the reasoning goes, they may create a singularity as a by-product of an experiment ... causing the immediate and total destruction of the planet and solar system. :(

As I recall the theory was a strange particle (literally a particle called a strange) might be created, which would in essence 'seed' a black hole by converting every other particle it touched into the same thing, thus sucking up the Earth and surroundings.

If memory serves the predicted chances of this happening per an experiment were the same as winning the lottery 6 times in a row which is aproximately 1 in 7 trillion.

Needless to say I'm not worried.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

The alpha quadrant refers to our Milky Way galaxy (100,000 light years in diameter).

It's impossible to go faster than light speed. In order to reach a distance place in a short order of time is to warp it, which the only thing that is powerful enough to do that is a singlarity.

So, what exactly is it entangled photons do ? :huh:"

Technically speaking the photons are travelling FTL, they are just communicating with each other faster than light can travel between them.

The Alpha Quadrant in 1/4 of the Milky Way. There is also the Beta, Delta and Gamma quadrants. So says the Star trek scriptures.

Edited by astr0creep

So, what exactly is it entangled photons do ? :-"

The Alpha Quadrant in 1/4 of the Milky Way. There is also the Beta, Delta and Gamma quadrants. So says the Star trek scriptures.

Um, yes I know. I mean the Alpha QUADrant (i.e. one of the four) refers to the Milky Way Galaxy. The closest galaxy to ours is the Andromeda Galaxy, one of our local group. The (known) universe is billions of light years across, and we can only see the far away stars because they are uncommonly bright / technological advancements.

There is a school of thought that says the scientists operating particle accelerators are taking an unconscionable risk with our civilisation because, so the reasoning goes, they may create a singularity as a by-product of an experiment ... causing the immediate and total destruction of the planet and solar system. :)

As I recall the theory was a strange particle (literally a particle called a strange) might be created, which would in essence 'seed' a black hole by converting every other particle it touched into the same thing, thus sucking up the Earth and surroundings.

If memory serves the predicted chances of this happening per an experiment were the same as winning the lottery 6 times in a row which is aproximately 1 in 7 trillion.

Needless to say I'm not worried.

Exactly. But those that advocate a strategy of total risk avoidance might disagree. :)

It only needs to happen once.  :huh:

:huh: Innumeracy: thy name is Hades.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well to be honest if you're worried about it happening you should take into account in comparrison it's almost certain you'll be hit by an asteroid beforehand - so there's still really nothing to worry about. You're dead anyway.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Maybe the asteroid will arrive just in time to plug the new black hole.

I think this scenario is enough of a risk to warrant a million-pound research programme at tax-payers' expense.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Well to be honest if you're worried about it happening you should take into account in comparrison it's almost certain you'll be hit by an asteroid beforehand - so there's still really nothing to worry about. You're dead anyway.

Don't forget the occurrance of earthquakes of necessary vibrational frequency to turn the ground under Hades's feet to a porous liquid-like substance that would swallow him, turning solid again as soonn as the quake subsides.

Maybe the asteroid will arrive just in time to plug the new black hole.

I think this scenario is enough of a risk to warrant a million-pound research programme at tax-payers' expense.

I'm all for it. When do I get to send rockets into the Oort cloud? (w00t)

Don't forget a major motion picture deal starring Bruce Willis and Charlize Theron!

Written by Moose in superposition of Badger. (w00t)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I have a feeling that, relative to the centre of the milky way, we have barely moved over the course of many ice ages.

And if I'm not mistaken, didn't the term singularity just evolve into black hole, as in singularities ARE black holes...well, at least the center of the blackhole is. The black hole itself is caused by the event horizon around the infinitely dense center.

That's why I'm confused people would think a singularity is a "baby" black hole.