No Fallout 3 at E3 2006

karka

Don't even try to make sense of it, it'll give you an aneurism. Just nod your head and smile at the nice rabbit, that's a good rabbit..... And hope he doesn't bite you. :thumbsup:

And shepherds we shall be,

for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,

that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee,

and teeming with souls shall it ever be,

In Nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritus Sancti.

Actually I'm not disappointed that there's no Fallout 3 material yet. I've yet to play a game that Bethesda has made. I own Morrowind GOTY but haven't installed it yet. I've played both the Fallouts a few times, and enjoyed them but I'm no rabid fan. Personally I'd rather see a Torment 2 than a Fallout 3, but that's a whole other Can O' Worms.

Having said all that, I want Bethesda to take their time with F3 and make it a good game, however they make it, and I have no problem with another developer continuing the franchise. Look at what Obsidian did with Kotor II. Despite the bugs (which were never a big problem for me) and the cut content, it was a very good game. Also NWN2 looks very promising from what I've seen.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Personally I'd rather see a Torment 2 than a Fallout 3, but that's a whole other Can O' Worms.

You'll never see a 'Torment 2'. The Nameless One's story is done. Over. Finito. Capiche? In the event someone can track done the long lost licence and purchase the rights to it, THEN what you MAY see is another campaign in the Planescape setting. But then, I'm sure that's what you meant... :thumbsup:"

manthing2.jpg

I know, I know, but I'd still like to see it.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

I know, I know, but I'd still like to see it.

How about the original merely remastered in a new engine ala FFVII? :D

Hmm, I've never played any of the FF games, or even paid much attention to them, to be honest. But... I just had a quick look at the FFVII site, and visually it is very impressive. I could probably go for Torment redone like that. I'm not gonna be like some others and say its gotta have this this and this... but I think having the same actors redo all the voice-over material isn't unreasonable... oh, and Annah's still gotta have a tail >_<

Having said all that, I want Bethesda to take their time with F3 and make it a good game, however they make it, and I have no problem with another developer continuing the franchise. Look at what Obsidian did with Kotor II. Despite the bugs (which were never a big problem for me) and the cut content, it was a very good game. Also NWN2 looks very promising from what I've seen.

That is a completely different ball of wax. KotOR 2 uses the same base game engine, same rules system, and has the same style of representation in its graphics. The same can be said about NWN 2 to NWN 1. This is far far far far far far far far different situation in Fallout 3. If you expecting Fallout 3 to have the same base engine as Fallout 2 like KotOR 2 does with KotOR 1 then you are sadly mistaken.

Harvey

That is a completely different ball of wax. KotOR 2 uses the same base game engine, same rules system, and has the same style of representation in its graphics. The same can be said about NWN 2 to NWN 1. This is far far far far far far far far different situation in Fallout 3. If you expecting Fallout 3 to have the same base engine as Fallout 2 like KotOR 2 does with KotOR 1 then you are sadly mistaken.

Nope I'm expecting Fallout 3 to look nothing like its predecessors. I only meant to point out that another developer can take an existing franchise and make something good out of it. I'll concede that maybe those examples weren't very good ones.

Wait... what?  >_<

Man, do I have to explain everything to you or can you use your noggin beyond a rat rack for once?

Man, do I have to go back and find your previous posts about cheap shots? Just pointing out that you're contradicting yourself.

Also keep in mind the style in which Bethesda makes their games. I doubt they are going to change it just for Fallout. Their style is good for Single player MMORPG sand box styled games like the TES games are but not for the style of Fallout.

Sure the game will be updated using today's tech but it also needs to be recongizable as Fallout. Last thing we need is another game that is Fallout in name only like FOPOS and FO: Craptics.

Harvey

Man, do I have to go back and find your previous posts about cheap shots? Just pointing out that you're contradicting yourself.

Its not a contradiction if you read what I am saying and use your head.

Okay... >_<"

I guess I do have to explain everything to you. And people wonder why I have such a low opinion of the human race. >_<

It is about options.

Fallout 3 needs to have the look, the style, the gameplay of the original Fallout game in order to be worthy of the Fallout name. That means turn based combat, 3/4 view, SPECIAL rules, and blah blah blah. That does not mean it can't have more than that.

Such as it can have a real time option that allows players to use against simple opponents or by players who are looking for more action oriented game. Have the game balanced for turn base combat but not hamper the enjoyment of the rough and tumble real time action. It keeps the Fallout purists happy with the TB while bringing in the real time combatters who are looking for big explosions and heavy weapons fire that require split second reflexes to survive the action. If you followed the progress reports on the old BIS forums Van Buren's combat was going to be like this. It keeps the game Fallout while at the same time gives the options to play it differently if you desired to.

Does that make things any clearer? I hope it does because I can't get any clearer than that.

As for the camera angle thingie, I said many times that a player controlled camera as in NWN would be the best way to do it and in no way contradicts the way the camera is like in the original Fallout game because you can get the 3/4 angle view if you so wish it. Again I ask how is what I am saying so hard to understand or contradictory?

Edited by 6 Foot Invisible Rabbit

Harvey

it must be taken as a whole or not at all.

I am looking for a healthy middle ground between the two.

Surely you aren't blind?

And shepherds we shall be,

for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,

that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee,

and teeming with souls shall it ever be,

In Nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritus Sancti.

If, at the very least, it includes all the stuff that is contained in Fallout, then it's not a middle ground. When using the term "middle ground," you imply a compromise between the two extremes.

Your "middle ground" looks awfully tilted in the direction of the old Fallout. As in, "you don't care as long as it allows you to play and experience the game like the original Fallout." Hardly a compromise. All you've done is allow concessions for people that had reservations about the original game, by essentially building on top of the original game.

Some middle ground.

Its not a contradiction if you read what I am saying and use your head.

Bethesda can't make fallout!

If they use special it'll be good!

I won't buy this game!

I bought it because I found it in the bargain bin!

I'll never play this game!

NWN was ok!

>_<