Step up to the plate, you damned Brits

Cantousent

Okay, I need to know, hopefully from folks who live around or have visited, all about Nr. Ambleside, Cumbria England and Rutland Leicestershire, England. Are these nice areas? Is there a lot to do around there? How's the weather in March? Please, wax poetic.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I've been to Ambelside, but I wouldn't have a clue as to what it's weather is like. I remember a pub that was in an alley I think and not a whole heck of a lot after that. No wait, I remember a pond or something in the middle of the town with some giant swans. Really.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Dammit, sounds like a drug induced hallucination. Still, I'll take it! :Eldar's slapping Kor on the back and handing him a cold brew icon:

Now, here

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

He means was there strip joints.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

The weather in March is virtually impossible to comment on, but it's been pretty cold all February with parts of the country dipping into the minus temperatures during the day.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

I just need to find my photo album. I took pictures. It helps me remember. Really though, Eldar, I went to the UK on holiday and that was a stop along the way. I know I have a picture in my album, because I can recall putting it in there and writing 'Ambelside' underneath.

:KQD is not full of **** emoticon:

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Ambleside's in the Lake District, so though I've never been to the village itself, the surrounding area is beautiful, excellent for hikers/walkers, and has at least some infrastructure for tourists.

March weather? It will be gloomy. There will be rain. We were promised a harsh winter, and it hasn't happened yet, so I guess snow in March is a real possibility.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Wow, those swans are pretty damned big.

Great, Ambleside's been billed as a nice area and the place we're going has a lot of great amenities. I just hoped that there were a couple of people who could verify that before we finalized the plans.

Obsidian Plays

Not been to any of those places. Sorry I can't help. :">

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You know Eldar, you should postpone your trip until late July/August. I went to the Reading Rock Festival in ...can you guess? Reading, and had a hoot of a time.

I have no clue how far it is from Ambelside, but everything is connected by trains anyway.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Yes, everything is connected by trains. Filthy overcrowded and late trains. <_<

Meta: Nothing works _IN_ London.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yes, everything is connected by trains. Filthy overcrowded and late trains.  <_<

Meta: Nothing works _IN_ London.

... And all the trains run through London, where you can opt for a random derailment and probable serious injury!

The fact that all trains connect through the London hub means that to get from one county to an adjacent one, you generally have to travel to London and back out again. Also, you'll be expected to keep your original mortgage statement with you, to give to the Train Operator.

The French tourist guide actually describes the British train system as "quaint" and "historic". Certainly it ain't punctual (a report published a week or two ago stated that a train is cancelled every five minutes).

Things do work in London, you just have to pay ten times the advetised price to get a working version. :rolleyes:

@Steve, that was a quote from Bridget Jones's Diary. :rolleyes:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yes, and for god's sake don't try to buy beer or other alcoholic beverages in London. You will be bankrupt before the second round.

If you want to stretch your money make damn certain you stay in the North and Northeast. Yorkshire is great if you want comparatively cheap, and plenty of outdoors stuff.

Personally I've always disliked Scotland as a place to visit. Bad food, miserable people, and nothing to do. But then, since I hate the place I can hardly be expecetd to know its good side. then on the other hand if it's so great why is one always running into scotsmen 'abroad'?

-Elwood Blues