About the random-battles system in RPGs

ramza

You should try Romancing SaGa

Do you hate him or somthing?

Also Chrono Cross has this 'bump into baddies to fight' system, but if you're European, you'll have to import.

Shadow Hearts has random battles, but I never found them to be a problem (the game is about 20 hours, so the dungeons are really short and there is a story with actual pacing).

True, I forgot to mention chrono cross, which is a great game! maybe even better than some FF titles.

Does anyone else know any other JRPGs without a random-combat system?

Star Ocean : Til the End of Time

Haitoku, may I introduce Wizardry 8.

Wizardry 8, Haitoku.

I'm staying away from that game. :ph34r:

I'm being a little harsh.

It is the final part of a three-part epic mini-series (Wizardry 6, 7 & 8), and I didn't play the first two, so my tolerance for the combat was at a low threshold.

I did like the first three (Wizardry 1, 2 & 3) on the Apple, though. :thumbsup:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Romancing SaGa is a fantastic game.

Sorry, my bad, I was thinking of Unlimited SaGa. Never played Romancing.

Wait, has anyone mentioned Grandia 2 yet? no random battles AND a kickbutt battle system. Too bad it was too easy.

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I think random battles worked better back in the 8 & 16 bit era. I'm currently playing FFIV on my GBA and after 14 years since I last played it, I still don't mind the random battles. I think that largely has to do with how quickly you can get through a battle. When everything went to 32bit and CD-ROM media those same random battles now consisted of 3D graphics, load times and lengthy summon spells. We still have that issue today in a few RPG's but most seem to be phasing out of it. I don't think random battles can work well within a game like it did back 10-15 years ago.

Now, I'm also playing Dragon Quest VIII and while that is a fun game, it still has random battles. Sometimes I find myself snoozing off in the middle of a battle....it just gets boring after a while BUT I will say this, unlike most RPG's the random battles in DQ8 aren't as frequent.

Romancing SaGa is a fantastic game.

Sorry, my bad, I was thinking of Unlimited SaGa. Never played Romancing.

It's ok :thumbsup:

Romancing SaGa (PS2) is a remake of the original SNES Romancing SaGa :thumbsup:

An awesome game too :luck:

I was thinking of buying it, the animation style is so damn ugly though... I just don't know.

I might check out the SNES version, since I believe there is a translation out now. (w00t)

If you do, keep in mind that the SNES RS is "incomplete", I'm not sure why, but they had to cut out a lot of things that went back in for the PS2 version.

The PS2 Romancing SaGa is to the SNES version what the GC version of Resident Evil is to the PSX version.

If you do, keep in mind that the SNES RS is "incomplete", I'm not sure why, but they had to cut out a lot of things that went back in for the PS2 version.

The PS2 Romancing SaGa is to the SNES version what the GC version of Resident Evil is to the PSX version.

I don't own a cube, so I don't know what you are talking about. :thumbsup: