Comics

Calax

If you ask me, your doing yourself a disservice if those 10 comics arn't a TPB of the first Ultimates run

Ultimates was good stuff... a little over the top in the character department (Cap's an ass, Hank Pym is schizo, Banners got serious problems with his self esteem, Tony is an alchoholic playboy... the list goes on).

Marvels is a comic about viewing the marvel world up to about the late 70's from a photographers view (NOT Peter Parkers! This is the guy who chucked the brick at Iceman's head.)

Kingdom Come is a view of a dystopian world where superman ends up trying to create a utopia by force with his friends from the previous generation of heros. While the next generations of heros fight back and generally create chaos. And batman works (as usual) for himself with a small army of his own.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Ive just read my second Hellboy TPB, "Conqueror Worm" and I fail to see why this is such a hyped comic. The art is nice, but its essentially just about a big strong red guy who is invincible and has a stone hand that can punch thorugh anything :)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Ive just read my second Hellboy TPB, "Conqueror Worm" and I fail to see why this is such a hyped comic. The art is nice, but its essentially just about a big strong red guy who is invincible and has a stone hand that can punch thorugh anything o:)

isn't that the same thing about almost all comics? Some big strong guy able to smash through stuff?

Ive just read my second Hellboy TPB, "Conqueror Worm" and I fail to see why this is such a hyped comic. The art is nice, but its essentially just about a big strong red guy who is invincible and has a stone hand that can punch thorugh anything o:)

isn't that the same thing about almost all comics? Some big strong guy able to smash through stuff?

Yes. So, why not only make just another one, but then also hype it because its supposed originality and awesomeness?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well, I read V for Vendetta ... after an unsure start it turned into a good read. It was best when a grand plan was being executed ...

If you liked V you'd like watchmen and possibly Dark Knight Returns.

Kingdom Come is a view of a dystopian world where superman ends up trying to create a utopia by force with his friends from the previous generation of heros. While the next generations of heros fight back and generally create chaos. And batman works (as usual) for himself with a small army of his own.

Kingdom Come was awesome. Mostly due to Alex Ross' art though.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Kingdom Come was awesome. Mostly due to Alex Ross' art though.

that's why I suggested Marvels... Alex Ross did the art on that too. (including galactus in short shorts

).

Just want to restate that Frank Quitely sucks.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well, I read V for Vendetta ... after an unsure start it turned into a good read. It was best when a grand plan was being executed ...

Why, because they are the same archetypal protagonist, or the writing is of a similar (or better) level?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Why, because they are the same archetypal protagonist, or the writing is of a similar (or better) level?

watchmen is by the same guy, Dark Knight is about batman at age 60 after he's retired and ends up going back to work... only more ruthless.

It ends with a Batman V. Superman fight.

If we're going Batman trades, have to follow that up with Year 1 have to follow that up with anything by Frank Miller. 

Fixed. Also Allstar Batman and Robin The Boy Wonder, DC's answer to the Ulimate Marvel lines, written by Frank Miller, beautiful art. Some people like it, some people don't, he considers it the unofficial continuation of Year One, I think it's brilliant. I'll be picking up the TPB when it comes out.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

If we're going Batman trades, have to follow that up with Year 1 have to follow that up with anything by Frank Miller. 

Fixed. Also Allstar Batman and Robin The Boy Wonder, DC's answer to the Ulimate Marvel lines, written by Frank Miller, beautiful art. Some people like it, some people don't, he considers it the unofficial continuation of Year One, I think it's brilliant. I'll be picking up the TPB when it comes out.

Or you could go the Loeb (sp?) route with Batman

watchmen is by the same guy, Dark Knight is about batman at age 60 after he's retired and ends up going back to work... only more ruthless.

I wouldnt recommend "Dark Knight Returns" to anyone who is not a fan of DC Comics and above all, Batman. I read it because its heralded as one of those must-have-read's of the comic world and I think its overrated.

IF you want Frank Miller, you want Sin City. Sure, its just illustrated pulp crime but its still better than most mainstream comics

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

you people would hate dark knight strikes back...

The reason DKR is hearlded as a "must have" is because it just demolished the comics code of america. Also because it was the first time a MAIN STREME superhero was shown to have a dark and horrible side to him.