Firefly

metadigital

I just spent all night trawling the W-OT forum for any Firefly / Serenity threads, and there were none in the ten page cache.

But there is one beyond that...

Yep. I wasn't interested in resurecting the old thread, which I was contributing to when it was live two months ago. But thanks for adding the link for to assist the newbies in completing their prep.

Oh-ho, zing!

Quiet you.

I think Fox know they are going to burn in hell anyway, so why make any effort?

My favourite Malcolm Reynolds/series moment is when Capt. Reynolds marches into the hostage situation in the pilot episode, followed by Reynolds in the duel, followed closely by Jayne's hat.

The duel: "... Well, I'm alright."

Serenity (Innara): "Because so few men are." (one of the very few insights into her motivation)

One of my big gripes is the assumption (prime-time US tv pre-requisite? :ph34r:) that Christianity will outlive / subsume / absorb all other monotheistic religions.

I would have let him off if there wasn't a direct reference to "The Bible" (when River is "fixing it").

Everyone knows you can't fix the Bible.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

One of my big gripes is the assumption (prime-time US tv pre-requisite? :ph34r:) that Christianity will outlive / subsume / absorb all other monotheistic religions.

Yes this irked me too, chinese words permeated the language, yet none of the philosophy or culture seems to be assimilated as far as the frontier type people are concerned.

It might have been that way back in the real wild west but in Firefly is Whedon suggesting that Christianity was popular among frontiersmen? Or that it is human nature to revert to dogma when you are barely scratching out a living. Where each day is a struggle to survive

One of my (alas, sad) conclusions from Whedon's commentary is that such questions weren't probably on his mind at all.

The use of Chinese may have started as a clever obsevation about Darwinistic socio-politicological fates of our modern culture, but the result is a cheap device to hide profanity. Ugh.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I try not to dwell on the How?, and enjoy the art. After all, asking a great artist, composer or sportsperson will not grant startling revelations of lucid observation; moreso, people of superior talents are just as nonplussed by their abilities as the rest of us mere mortals. So I try to block out Whedon's reasoning and make my own interpretations ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I haven't seen Firefly because they only time I can remember that it's on is like 2am during the week or some crazy hour like that. My uncle recently purchased the series on DVD so I'll have to borrow it from him once I've returned his BSG Season One DVD's. :shifty:

Enjoyed the movie too. :)

And what's this here?

And the Simon-River protective eldar brother and unkillable super weaponised teenage girl relationship.

Did Metadigital make a typo? :-"

Edited by Deraldin

I haven't seen Firefly because they only time I can remember that it's on is like 2am during the week or some crazy hour like that. My uncle recently purchased the series on DVD so I'll have to borrow it from him once I've returned his BSG Season One DVD's. :shifty:

Enjoyed the movie too. :)

And what's this here?

And the Simon-River protective eldar brother and unkillable super weaponised teenage girl relationship.

Did Metadigital make a typoe? :-"

Were you eating a potatoe, Mr Quail? :-

btw I didn't make a typographical mistake.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I finished watching 'Jaynestown' a few minutes ago. But I'm curious, Meta, I've been reading about the bbfc. Now the way I understand it, would they have censored it or made it unavailable to children? Color me confused.

he's the hero of Canton, the man we call Jayne

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Jaynestown is a great episode.

I would expect the censors would edit any unsuitable seconds from the telecast.

Not really sure what bits you are referring to as unsuitable: maybe the disfigured guy in the sweatbox? Death doesn't qualify, per se: mature themes do (innuendo, sexual reference, profanity, etc).

They would just play it after the watershed (9pm) to avoid ANY censorship, and children could record it with a PVR for watching later.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

My question was pretty vague. I was generalizing a bit, I suppose. Perhaps this discussion should continue in the movie thread so as not to derail. What's the rating on Firefly in the U.K. anyway? I notice my copy across the pond doesn't even have one :ph34r:

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Jaynestown includes scenes where Inara is conducting her usual business in more than usual graphic detail. This might not be a problem except she is getting paid. We probably have some law against this from Queen Anne's time.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Jaynestown includes scenes where Inara is conducting her usual business in more than usual graphic detail. This might not be a problem except she is getting paid. We probably have some law against this from Queen Anne's time.

That is actually a very good point. probably the reason why Heart of Gold never aired.