Planescape II

Sargeras

I opened this thread with a pounding heart and wishful thinking, only to see that another fan shares the same dream. Only Chris Avellone would do the sequel justice. I want to see another good story (subjective, I know, but I loved Planescape Torment). Long live Morte!

Edited by Webslinger

23u4g7t.jpg

I'd rather MCA work on a Obs IP. As original as Planescape is, an original IP would mean possible room for even more creativity.

1) Torment is finished.

2) Planescape is dead.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

• 3 weeks later...

The thread about the Planescape Torment sound tracks got me wishing that Oblivian would do a new production. o:)

It's been a while.

The script is mostly written. :(

MCA could include some new material about Fall From Grace and maybe add some other new material elsewhere. :)

If they wanted to do a sequel they could do Fall From Grace's quest to find The Nameless One. There have been some good real life stories lately about mothers and wives rescuing their sons and husbands from warzones. In the case of Fall From Grace the warzone would be teh Blood Wars.

Hey they do Hamlet and such over and over.

Given it's reputation I figure a new production of Torment would be a good bet to make money.

:)

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

Given it's reputation I figure a new production of Torment would be a good bet to make money.

o:)

yeah, 'cause the old one made money. there is, as some will no doubt point out very soon, exceptions to the rule that only successful products gets sequels, but they is exceptions.

as far as we can tell, fergie ain't the foolish gambler who goes all-in early. he is playing the odds and has been clever 'nuff to be getting sure money makers to starts his new development co. we not see some kinda polarizing shift in the immediate future from somebody who has been so cautious and sensible so far.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Feargus has also said that the big name licenses and sequels will help fund original ideas and settings. Unfortunately, I don't think Torment is what he had in mind. I mean, Torment, no matter how much some of us love it, is still a sequel. It's not like it's an original idea. If they want to do a n Obsidian home-brewed setting for some sort of "artistic/prestige film" idea, then why not take out some of the better ideas from Torment and apply them to their own setting.

EDIT: Sorry, cold and nyquil are giving me the beat down. Torment is not a setting, but it's still licensed. Torment 2 would not only be licensed, it would also be a sequel.

Edited by Eldar

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Besides, Planescape is dead. No publisher is going to start supporting it again in this state.

planescape status is... odd. monte cook's pnp folks did a nice revisiting of planescape materials 10 years after the fact. no doubt he had to get some kinda okie dokie from wotc.

however, we does agree that a publisher of crpgs would be real unlikely to wanna jump at planescape. as much as some of us thought planescape were the bestest d&d setting evar, many folks disliked it 'nuff to not wanna give planescape:torment more than a cursory glance. where were the elves and dwarves, and why did everything have to look so dark and dirty? also, chrisA kinda were hit and miss with his freshman philosophy approach to the game. sometimes folks try a little too hard to be profound... but as Gromnir is a minimalist by nature and training, we probably is not the best person to judge such things.

regardless, the thing 'bout planescape is that it would be pretty easy to fix where it failed with fans. not have to dumb down the writing as some suggest... but you does have to shorten individual dialogue options, and it might be a good idea to try and rely on metaphor maybe a little more than the overt philosophizings of first year liberal arts students. sure, some people will miss your point, but they probably won't be bothered by it neither. too much ps:t dialogue? maybe, but you makes the dialogue options shorter as already noted, and add in more and better combat options and we thinks people would not be complaining. as much as chrisA disagrees with us on this, ps:t combat were pretty lame. also, am understanding that the bis guys wanted to capture the feel of planescape, but it turns out that many fantasy and d&d fans seems to need dwarves and elves n' such to enjoy... so why not give'em such things. sigil gots infinite doorways to infinite destinations... many of which gots dwarves and elves and wizards that looks disturbingly much like gandalf or saruman. planescape is a big 'nuff setting that you can give everybody a bit of what they want.

if there is one thing we dislike 'bout bioware games it is that they does not try to makes the best game they can so much as they is trying to makes the best game they is able to with the broadest possible appeal to the largest segment of crpg fans they thinks they can reach. try to please everybody and you necessarily end up forced to embrace mediocrity. is maybe the result of bio listening too much to the fans. dunno. nevertheless, such an approach seems to be a necessary prerequisite if one is even willing to consider doing another planescape crpg with the current publisher/developer dynamic at work.

regardless, is too many ifs and maybes.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

if there is one thing we dislike 'bout bioware games it is that they does not try to makes the best game they can so much as they is trying to makes the best game they is able to with the broadest possible appeal  to the largest segment of crpg fans they thinks they can reach.  try to please everybody and you necessarily end up forced to embrace mediocrity.  is maybe the result of bio listening too much to the fans.

:o

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

My understanding is that Torment made money over time.

With the reputation it has now I would expect it to make money in a starting burst as well as over time.

Some of the scenes would be spectacular with modern graphics!

That would be a selling point.

I don't see why a trip to the prime material plane couldn't be added, as you suggest Gromnir.

A side trip you stumble into early on?

I like the idea of Torment II as Fall from Grace's story!

But Hey.

It's all good.

:D

Edited by Colrom

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.