What is more important in an adventure game?

Which of the following do you think is more important to an adventure game?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following do you think is more important to an adventure game?

• The story and character interaction.
    • The level of detail of the gameworld.
    • The quests and well devised puzzles.
    • The setting, wheter its standard or novel.
    • The character's influence on the story.
    • The different ways you can advance trough the game.

I just had an idea for a useable ability for the player. Death(y?) could open it's robes to stun people. There would be like a deep never ending chasm inside the robes.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I just had an idea for a useable ability for the player. Death(y?) could open it's robes to stun people. There would be like a deep never ending chasm inside the robes.

That's a nice touch, however there already is a secondary character with a similar ability. Sorry :)

At this point there are three secondary characters planned which have abilities which can be used for interaction with the gameworld. One of them is a girl named Pandora which, if the name isn't a clue, carries a mysterious box which only she can open. When used it can frighten some characters or creatures.

The other two don't have a name yet - although they are based on pretty simple horror movie archetypes, only as children - and are based on strenght and guile. Can't add much more than that, sorry :) Suffice to say they will have their very own space and time and won't be controllable all the time.

On topic.

All of those options are essential in a game on equal terms. It may have a good story, but character development suffers. Everything about the game is great except the AI is not so intelligent after all. Each is important to a game in their own way.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

It really should be a mixture of story/character and quests/puzzles. A good adventure game needs both an interesting, engaging story, memorable characters and interesting, well thought-out puzzles to entertain. Lots of the old Infocom and Magnetic Scrolls textadventures had that combination. Unfortunately, with the dawn of point&click adventures, the puzzles got less and less important up to the point where many game designers' idea of a puzzle was a few levers and switches or searching the whole screen with your mouse for tiny objects ...