Maya 7...

I don't if this should be posted here or in Obsidian General, but I just took a wild shot.

I am nothing of a software genius, but I have looked at the new Alias release of Maya 7 and it looks really, really sweet. Some upgrades that have been made are, what they call, "floor contacts" and "Full Body IK". And that's to name a serious few. But these two alone help make animation so much more realistic.

You can go to the Maya 7 demo page here and check it all out.

Getting a bit off-topic, the future developer in charge of K3 should really make use of this seemingly great software and its very good upgrades. This way, people could have realistics actions, more action, freer expressions, and different body types and animation.

Something that was supposed to be solved in TSL was to keep you from running into "clones"...but I ran into countless people who looked exactly the same as the next; sometimes in the same group.

Oh, well. Maybe that had more to do with the engine than the software. But I thought I'd post anyway and maybe show you guys something new.

Anyway, post as you see fit. See ya.

"Learn to harness your anger and control your fear. Dominate your emotions! But do not let them overcome you; for they can surely cause you to fall to the dark side.

If you expect to win against a Sith then you need to fight like a Sith! If you do not, you will always be met with defeat."

-- Jedi Master Seraphis Dakari

Maya 7 is a fairly nice improvement over 6 with improvments to the HuD and greater stability being two of the most immediate boons. There are also a number of new options for things that were possible in maya 6 but fiddly (for example, toon shader).

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Last I heard, OE uses 3D Studio Max.

And the 2 ways you can solve the issue of generic-looking NPC's is to 1. Make more models, or 2. write random facial generation software. Maya7 wont make either one of them easier.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

With maya you can always write you're own plugins to do such things :blink:

In short; MAYA kicks ass, you use MAYA for a while after using 3DS Max and you won't be going back to 3DS.

But then you need to integrate your plugin back to the game engine which has a different API, plus writing a facial generation software yourself means more resources spent and longer dev cycle.

As for superiority of Maya to 3DSMax, you just need a tool to do the required job, not the one "that is cool". That's why 3DSMax dominates in game development and Maya in cinematography.

PS

Max also has SDK that you can use to write plugins.

Ive dabbled in both Maya and MAX and its no doubt that Maya offers the most intuitive interface when building 3D models.

BTW

Autodesk recently bought Alias (Maya developer). Autodesk owns discreet who develops 3DSMax, now both software pakages are owned by one company, so I think we can expect a new product line that has the best of both.

Or a broken compromise, you never know.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Ive dabbled in both Maya and MAX and its no doubt that Maya offers the most intuitive interface when building 3D models.

Maybe it is a matter of preference. I found Max user-friendly, though I couldn't figure how to do simplest things in Maya. :)

I always felt the opposite. MAX is just too clunky, whereas Maya (once you understand the design) is a very productive, customizable and intuitive 3d package.

I guess the reason why so many Devs still use MAX today is probably due to tradition. MAX was earlier on the market, so the artists got used with it first.... and maybe there's no time or desire to re-train the artists with another 3D package. But maybe I'm totally wrong with that assumption.

The example I can come up with is that you can change the type of edit vertex/face/line just by rightclicking in Maya whereas in Max you have to use the menu to the right.

The #1 reason Ive heard mention is the price, Maya is getting cheaper but I think Maya4 was around $8000 for a single license and that is alot of money for a developer.

The #1 reason Ive heard mention is the price, Maya is getting cheaper but I think Maya4 was around $8000 for a single license and that is alot of money for a developer.

That's why you download cracks... :ph34r:

Just kiddin' ;)

"Learn to harness your anger and control your fear. Dominate your emotions! But do not let them overcome you; for they can surely cause you to fall to the dark side.

If you expect to win against a Sith then you need to fight like a Sith! If you do not, you will always be met with defeat."

-- Jedi Master Seraphis Dakari

BTW

Autodesk recently bought Alias (Maya developer). Autodesk owns discreet who develops 3DSMax, now both software pakages are owned by one company, so I think we can expect a new product line that has the best of both.

HaHa, you dont mean that serously do you? Ohh, god! Thats super great, soon there will be no diffrence at all! I was worrying a little if I would be stuck getting to work with people that uses Maya when I am training with 3Ds Max.