CIV Discussion

Jumjalum

I played some multiplayer games with my roommate, we found out fast that teaming together gave us a very unfair advantage if we didn't team computer opponents together.

Er, yeah, that's why we teamed the AI in teams of 2 as well.

2v2v2v2v2v2v2v2 rocks!

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

It's be nice to have an 18-player session based off these boards. Then real diplomacy would be in effect. Players plotting things, PMing each other, making deals. No permanent alliances.

Unfortunately, the logistics of such a game would be insane. PBEM = 1 turn/day would be really slow. Then comes the issue of one player not emailing the file to the next. One culprit means endless delays.

For direct IP games, I guess it could happen. We could schedule it, so only people who could follow that schedule consistently would sign up (eg. a few hours each weekend).

Hadescopy.jpg

Oh. Well, basically, it'll help you keep track of the other Civ4 players on this board. If so and so, and so and so are online, you could start a sporadic session, for example. I've done that a couple of time. So, Civ4 sessions with specific people. Then save, and resume when everyone is back online next time. Check http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=39240

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

Yeah, the governmental system lifted from Alpha Centurai works very nicely. Making, for example a communist state with freedom of the press or a pacifist representation that uses slave labour are way more interesting than 'monarchy, I choose you!'.

Hadescopy.jpg

I'd suggest the weekend (though not this one since I'm busy :)).

Let's see the interest level. Who would be up for a weekly saturday or sunday game? We could have it somewhere in the evening GMT time (which would mean around noon/afternoon for North America). Interested parties, show your available schedules.

Hadescopy.jpg

I might be interested, but there are two problems.

1) I suck. Since in Civ IV it's much more difficult to maintain a significant technological edge over the AI, and I really never learnt to expand too much in the early stages of the game, I get slammed badly by anything tougher than Noble AI.

2) The game keeps killing my video card from time to time, to the point where it will shut down for a short while, until it reinitializes. Sometimes it even kills the whole DirectX, preventing anything that requires it from working until a reboot is performed.

I'm working on finding a solution to #2, as it seems to be dependent on a certain graphical effect. Playing with everything turned off and ultra lo-res seems to do the trick, but I haven't had much time to put this to the test. Fixing #1 somewhat depends on #2... :)

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It's pretty expected that not everyone will able to make it EVERY weekend, but at least be present on a consistent basis. Also, remember that Civ4 allows you to be replaced by another player or AI, so we could find substitutes if need be.

What do you guys prefer if, say, someone can't make it during one session? Postpone till next week, or get a replacement (whether AI or human)?

Hadescopy.jpg

I'd be happy to get involved with some civ4 MP... do keep me in mind :o

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta