Modchips are already in production!

Meshugger

That was fast. It took modders 6 months the last generation.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I really can't see any reason for playing pirated games. It is not fun. I myself love to look my game library and show it to my friends.

Don't take it the wrong way. I just saw it as "Hackers: 1, Microsoft: 0".

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I read a month or so a gao that some warez group or other had gained access to the copy protection code of the 360, they werent able to crack it but just "released" it so that everone could have a go.

Haha, if the hackers are successful i bet that MS would wish they went with a next gen medium.

I recently read an interesting article that gave a very intuitive explanation on why all these digital "copyright protection" systems just cannot work. It was actually an excerpt from a talk an EFF lawyer gave to some MS executives.

Security algorithms usually work under the following framework: Alice wants to send a message to Bob, but Charlie is waiting to intercept the message and use it for his own malicious purposes. Pretty much all solutions to the problem boil down to using some form of a key that only Alice and Bob know about and that can be used to encrypt or decrypt the message using some algorithm (it's a simplification, but that's the basic idea). Although everyone knows the algorithms, only Alice and Bob know the key, so the message is safe from Charlie.

In DRM systems, the primary problem is that Bob and Charlie are the same person -- the consumer! The publisher (Alice) wants to sell you some content, they want you to be able to use it (otherwise you wouldn't have paid for it), but they don't want you to be able to freely use it as you please. The content is therefore encrypted using a "key". However, without the key, the consumer cannot access the content. Therefore, the publisher has no choice but to actually supply the consumer with the key (in the form of the decoding hardware/software inside your DVD player or Xbox) and then threaten to sue the consumer's ass if they attempt to actually discover what the key is.

Supplying the key to Charlie makes a mockery of the years of research in security theories and invalidates the very basis of all traditional security algorithms. If publishers come up with some new fantastic fundamental security theories, fine, but until then DRM systems will continue to fail.