Build me a computer...

Arkan

"What' would be a good fan setup then?"

I dunno, 3 of these? (not gonna fit in any case known to man)

Or just get a high-end Antec case and some extra fans for it if you want to.

About how many fans would be good for my setup? I've already got a case (listed). The only fan in my "cart" is the one that comes with the CPU.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

"What' would be a good fan setup then?"

I dunno, 3 of these? (not gonna fit in any case known to man)

Or just get a high-end Antec case and some extra fans for it if you want to.

About how many fans would be good for my setup? I've already got a case (listed). The only fan in my "cart" is the one that comes with the CPU.

Mine has two intake (one pulling fresh air into the CPU fan), three exhaust (counting the one on the modded Powmax Powersupply) that's overkill though unless you plan to over clock (like I did). One intake, two exhaust should be good enough. Intake fans aren't quite as important as exhaust because unless your case is an airtight box, there's always going to be air coming in. And I'd just go for the bare minimum, case fans aren't exactly masterpieces of technological engineering, and if you do get a bad one, they're cheap enough you can just run out and buy a new one.

"I've already got a case (listed)."

Not Antec. Yar.

"And I'd just go for the bare minimum, case fans aren't exactly masterpieces of technological engineering, and if you do get a bad one, they're cheap enough you can just run out and buy a new one."

Well, some are quieter than others. And I hate how my computer sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

Eh, because of the overclocking, and wanting to go with the simplicity of air cooling, mine sounds that way already.

Then again, the fan I have is the neatoest air cooling solution I've ever seen, though it's for Socket A processors and not applicable in this case.

Still though, I'm quite proud, a 3200+ overclock on a 2500+ proc with a locked multiplier isn't easy to do.

Eh, because of the overclocking, and wanting to go with the simplicity of air cooling, mine sounds that way already. 

Then again, the fan I have is the neatoest air cooling solution I've ever seen, though it's for Socket A processors and not applicable in this case. 

Still though, I'm quite proud, a 3200+ overclock on a 2500+ proc with a locked multiplier isn't easy to do.

Geez...I'm glad I don't plan on overclocking anything ;)

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Can you boil tea with water-cooling, like on an old lewis gun?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Geez...I'm glad I don't plan on overclocking anything :thumbsup:

But the AMD64 Venice core is very nice indeed.. I have an Antex Sonata special silent case with only a single exhaust fan and the intake holes clogged by sound dampening material but I can still overclock this CPU 10% with almost no heat increase.

..but then again, overclocking the CPU will get you nowhere with games, its all about the GFX really.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Geez...I'm glad I don't plan on overclocking anything :thumbsup:

But the AMD64 Venice core is very nice indeed.. I have an Antex Sonata special silent case with only a single exhaust fan and the intake holes clogged by sound dampening material but I can still overclock this CPU 10% with almost no heat increase.

..but then again, overclocking the CPU will get you nowhere with games, its all about the GFX really.

Hmm...it wasn't the heat from the cpu that I'm worried about, but rather the two gfx cards :-

- HD - ... Western Digital's "RAPTOR" is still the speed king (it should be, with a 10K RPM platter speed - compared to the standard 7200 - but is ridiculously high-priced for the storage space)

Well - those are my two credits ...

The Raptor may be expensive, but it's so worth it. It really is MUCH faster. Personally, if I could afford it, I'd get a small Raptor (36 GB) for the os and apps then another HD for storage.

I completely agree, if every aspect of performance counts to you, you can afford it, and you don't mind the minimal storage, Raptor is definitely the way to go. My gaming rig has two 36GB Raptors in a RAID-0 config - holy crap is that set-up fast. You blink, and you miss the splash screen during level loads. While my RAID-0 has me a bit paranoid about losing anything in case of a crash, I've been running this rig for over two years (including two CPU upgrades, two GPU upgrades, etc.) with no problems whatsoever.

All that said, I made all my recommendations based on a budget/performance balance ... the newest 7200RPM HD's deliver almost as good performance with more storage space at a much more palatable price.

See this article/review for some recent comparison charts: http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/200510...digital-03.html

If you're going performance, and price be darned - I'd go for a 2x 74GB Raptor RAID-0 for programs, one 160GB exclusively store back-up images of the RAID, and how many ever other drives I need for storage.

On to cooling set-ups, which seems to be the topic at the moment - if you want a fan controller - go for it, but it's unnecessary "bling". Two blowing in (one in the front, one on the side - blowing on your SLI) and two blowing out (ideally, one out the back, and one out the top) are plenty ... If you don't plan on overclocking, and have a decent case set-up (more airflow=good ... blocked airflow, lots of clutter, heat sources stacked with no room between them=bad).

The stock coolers for Intel CPU's are only marginally beaten by all but the most expensive after-market CPU coolers (both of my P4 3.0 rigs are stock cooled - I've overclocked my gaming rig up to 3.4 with no problems) ... and honestly I haven't been in the CPU cooler market for a while, so I can't really make any recommendations for AMD CPU coolers (I am shopping for water cooling for my next system, however).

BTW - I wouldn't get a redundant CD-Burner - my workhorse box has a DVD Reader and a DVD/CD +/-R/RW Writer, and I've very rarely had reason to use both (other than to hold whatever game CD I'm currently playing online in the most convenient place - my DVD Reader).

ARKAN ... I did some research on your case (ULTRA Mid-Tower w/ UV Window) and it looks capable, but there are some things I don't like ...

- the vent grill over the GPU ... I'd prefer a fan, and it looks like it's a weird size, maybe 60mm x 100mm, that would be slightly difficult to add a fan to (if you're handy with a dremel and a drill, it's easy, but if you've never used a dremel to cut plastic ...)

- mid-tower cases seem cramped to me for a full-power gaming rig - sure, everything will fit, but it will probably be cramped

- HD cage can't be removed (you have to remove both side panels to install HD's - not a show stopper, but I like convenience)

- "adjustable CPU duct" may or may not work properly depending on the location of your CPU on your mobo (but looks easy enough to remove)

- I can't tell if it allows for front-panel fan installation (with an SLI rig and no lower side fan, you're going to need it) ... there may be room inside the front bezel, but I doubt it

Now, don't get me wrong - it is a slick-looking case (and quite the bargain on TigerDirect at the moment).

ARKAN ... I did some research on your case (ULTRA Mid-Tower w/ UV Window) and it looks capable, but there are some things I don't like ...

- the vent grill over the GPU ... I'd prefer a fan, and it looks like it's a weird size, maybe 60mm x 100mm, that would be slightly difficult to add a fan to (if you're handy with a dremel and a drill, it's easy, but if you've never used a dremel to cut plastic ...)

- mid-tower cases seem cramped to me for a full-power gaming rig - sure, everything will fit, but it will probably be cramped

- HD cage can't be removed (you have to remove both side panels to install HD's - not a show stopper, but I like convenience)

- "adjustable CPU duct" may or may not work properly depending on the location of your CPU on your mobo (but looks easy enough to remove)

- I can't tell if it allows for front-panel fan installation (with an SLI rig and no lower side fan, you're going to need it) ... there may be room inside the front bezel, but I doubt it

Now, don't get me wrong - it is a slick-looking case (and quite the bargain on TigerDirect at the moment).

According to the specs, the case has a place for a 80mm fan and a 120 mm fan (which I bought).

BTW - I wouldn't get a redundant CD-Burner - my workhorse box has a DVD Reader and a DVD/CD +/-R/RW Writer, and I've very rarely had reason to use both (other than to hold whatever game CD I'm currently playing online in the most convenient place - my DVD Reader).

The reason I did this was so that I could quickly burn other CDs and DVDs without copying to the HD first. My auxilary drive is now a Aopen 16X DVD-ROM Drive, not the cd burner.

For drive to drive copying you have to make sure they are connected separately to the motherboard.

This is true...

I've got all the parts in the mail now except for the most important piece! The motherboard! ARgh! Why must fate tease me so?