D&D -how does wounding really work?

Kaftan Barlast

The people I play ith seem to have odd ideas about how some things work. One of these is their take on wounding weapons which I dont really understand how theyre supposed to work.

They play it so that the target hit looses Con AND most importantly, also loses HP corresponding to that loss of con. So basicly, each hit also generates a massive loss of hitpoints on top of the damage.

This seems to be way too powerful, is this really how its supposed to work?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The people I play ith seem to have odd ideas about how some things work. One of these is their take on wounding weapons which I dont really understand how theyre supposed to work.

They play it so that the target hit looses Con AND most importantly, also loses HP corresponding to that loss of con. So basicly, each hit also generates a massive loss of hitpoints on top of the damage.

This seems to be way too powerful, is this really how its supposed to work?

According to p.226 of the DMG (3.5e): "Wounding: A wounding weapon deals 1 point of Constitution damage from blood loss when it hits a creature. A critical hit does not multiply the Constitution damage. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to the Constitution damage dealt by this weapon."

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Wow.

I haven't read up on the 3.5 DMG much; I was just gonna reply from what I knew of the Hordes of the Underdark NWN expansion, in which Wounding weapons simply continue to cause damage until healed or the Healing skill is used.

I believe that in the editions of AD&D, wounding actually worked like that. I would also not be surprised if there was a weapon ability that did just that, but it would have to be in one of the variant books, since I can't find it in the DMG. I'd guess at a name like "bleeding". :(

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I guess you could even use some sort of variation for house rules and take off half of the constitutional bonus hit points for each wounding strike, rather than taking them all off every other strike ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well, the char in our group that has a wounding weapons also has 5+ attacks and with this she is able to grind most things to a pulp in 2-3 rounds.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well, Im not the GM so I cant do diddleyt squat. If I WAS, we wouldnt be playing D&D in the first place :huh:

In teh melee era, where a lot of weapons were slashing and bashing, and even for some of the pokey ones, bleeding is your main worry, because once it starts in a big way it will carry on in a big way unless you get it dressed sharpish. For loss of blood I'd lose em STR and INT, not CON.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think you're going about this the wrong way. Implement *instadeathkill*, so that these characters fly through whatever module it is that the GM is playing. Either the GM will get overrun/frustrated/bored with the rapid progress of the PCs and call a halt, or the players will lose interest.

If you time it right, you can interject precisely when they will be most receptive to the idea of playing with characters that have strengths AND weaknesses, so that they might play in such a way to emphasise the former and minimise the latter.

Then volunteer to GM them in a game of Cthulhu. :-

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I sucessfully persuaded the GM (who is getting better and better actually) to nerf the overpowered characters by means of a Goblin horde who nicked all our phat items. Unfortunantly, he let the 'wounding' player keep her weapon.

..and theres no way I could GM a Call of Cthulhu campaign in swedish. The players would be laughing themselves silly instead of being frightened :-

om ni har h

Mynd you, moose bites can be pretty nasti

post-4899-1132700659_thumb.jpg

Maybe you should conduct the game in English (or French or some other, non-native language that imparts the necessary gravit