Join the Dungeons & Dragons(R) Online: Stormreach

metadigital

It doesn't work though.

The reason 50 people would all be camping a single monster was for a great reward (either the drop itself, or the money for selling said drop).

If every single person has the same monster to kill, the reward for that monster will be worth nothing.

This also causes in-game economic problems, since their is a infinite amount of materials coming in.  The value for items will be nothing.

I can understand special event (perhaps boss fights) being instanced, but the entire game?  That's just silly for a MMORPG.

I've been away from EQ for a while now so things have obviously changed (one would hope) but there was a shortage on monsters as well as shiny stuff. As I recall there were only 3 areas where you could get from 46-50 and one of those was so annoying that you really didnt want to go there.

I also played Anarchy Online for a bit (got to love those slayer bots and demon pets) and that had instanced dungeons. It meant you could always find something to do without having to travel half way across the world. Which is pretty important if your not living in your chosen MMPORG.

For example to gather everyone up in EQ without a Druid would take hours. Even with a druid it would take a good hour to organise a group trip to anything that wasnt a cakewalk.

Instancing suits the casual player much more as well as people who only want to associate with their group for whatever reason.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

One of the several reasons I refuse to pay a monthly fee for any game is because to some extent it gives the studio control over when and how I play the game. If I pay a fee, I have a psychological obligation to put in at least some hours every month into the game, or I'm wasting my money. That's NOT how I wish to play a game. I want to be able to *not* play it for a month -- nay, an entire year, if I wish, and get back to it when I have the time and desire. I play when I want to, simple. I paid 50 bucks for it, now let me have fun, leave me alone and STOP freaking trying to LEECH every last penny out of me, you goddamn parasites. Monthly fees my a**.

One of the several reasons I refuse to pay a monthly fee for any game is because to some extent it gives the studio control over when and how I play the game. If I pay a fee, I have a psychological obligation to put in at least some hours every month into the game, or I'm wasting my money. That's NOT how I wish to play a game. I want to be able to *not* play it for a month -- nay, an entire year, if I wish, and get back to it when I have the time and desire. I play when I want to, simple. I paid 50 bucks for it, now let me have fun, leave me alone and STOP freaking trying to LEECH every last penny out of me, you goddamn parasites. Monthly fees my a**.

:p

Took me about six months before I finally got around to cancelling my account. They probably make a lot of money that way.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

EQ deletes characters after three months.

Thats what it says but mine were still there after my first six month break. Probably wouldnt have gone back if they were not.

Tranfered them straight across to the english server(the initial reason for going back) and ended up with two duplicate druids. Kind of nice that.

I dont know if they were still there the second time. Having learned from the first I just used the cancel form.

478327[/snapback]

I remember Asheron's Call 2 still had my characters two years after I cancelled. I took them up on some free trial, and sure enough, same characters. Unfortunately it still had all the reasons I canceled my account in the first place, so I only lasted a day.

I never actually played EQ. My first online game was Ultima Online, but I was lousy at it. Eventually I picked up the original Asheron's Call, which I enjoyed tremendously. But the real enjoyment came from the fact I met a great group to play with. We kept our guild going into AC2, but it fell apart and everyone went there separate ways.

I really think the main difference between liking and disliking a MMORPG is in who you play with.

I remember Asheron's Call 2 still had my characters two years after I cancelled.  I took them up on some free trial, and sure enough, same characters.  Unfortunately it still had all the reasons I canceled my account in the first place, so I only lasted a day. 

I never actually played EQ.  My first online game was Ultima Online, but I was lousy at it.  Eventually I picked up the original Asheron's Call, which I enjoyed tremendously.  But the real enjoyment came from the fact I met a great group to play with.  We kept our guild going into AC2, but it fell apart and everyone went there separate ways.

I really think the main difference between liking and disliking a MMORPG is in who you play with.

My favourite one is still Meridian.

478327[/snapback]

I was without an internet connection during the Meridian 59 days, but I remember how huge it was. That's probably why I never played EQ either, no internet meant a diet of single-player games. But I'm not complaining, those were the days of Fallout, Baldurs Gate, and I think there we even a few decent Might and Magic's in there. Oh yeah, and Jagged Alliance 2.

Why is it that in each and every thread that's even remotely close to the subject of MMORPGs,  we have the same people stating the same tired opinions, over and over again. I fail to see the point of this.

Visc hates MMORPGs? Gabrielle doesn't want to "pay to play"? Darque played SW:G and loathed it? Woah, what a suprise!

Jesus christ.

Maybe, just maybe a dev will actually read the posts and get the idea what flaws there are in the games of today. And perhaps maybe they will design something of note worthy status like the Fallouts and Baldur Gates games.

I remember Asheron's Call 2 still had my characters two years after I cancelled.  I took them up on some free trial, and sure enough, same characters.  Unfortunately it still had all the reasons I canceled my account in the first place, so I only lasted a day. 

AC1 still had my characters four years after I cancelled. That's right, four years and they were still there.

My main character was even still in exactly the same spot where I left him four years before, after failing a series of corpse runs and losing so much stuff I just couldn't go on.

Why is it that in each and every thread that's even remotely close to the subject of MMORPGs,  we have the same people stating the same tired opinions, over and over again. I fail to see the point of this.

Visc hates MMORPGs? Gabrielle doesn't want to "pay to play"? Darque played SW:G and loathed it? Woah, what a suprise!

Jesus christ.

Maybe, just maybe a dev will actually read the posts and get the idea what flaws there are in the games of today. And perhaps maybe they will design something of note worthy status like the Fallouts and Baldur Gates games.

Well, I imagine the reasons you have to pay being server maintaining and all. :thumbsup:

I finally got a solid amount of time, so here are my first impressions.

Pros:

-Great graphics, I looked in a huge mirror and saw my reflection.

-XP is completely based on completing tasks.

-Tons of skills, spells, items and such to use.

-less emphasis on levelling, because you stay at on level for awhile.

Cons:

-It seems that all dungeons are instanced. That means you are either in the dungeon alone, or you need to find a group before going in. This seems to mean a lot of forced grouping.

-Combat seems to involve a lot of clicking...paced very quickly, making it difficult to use spells and special abilities.

That's about all I really got in my first 90 minutes. I think it has potential, but it didn't make me forget WoW.