PS3 may not play used PS3 games...

Epiphany

source of patent

SCE has secured the patent for a new disc technology that, if used, would not allow the PS3 to read used games for that platform. The technology was invented by Kutaragi himself, as well as two others.

It is indicated specifically that the technology is to prevent the use of used as well as pirated software.

The technology involves actually rendering a authentication code originally encrypted on the game disk unreadable to other machines once the disk it is used.

Edited by Epiphany

Apparently not.

Actually while I hate the idea I would think that developers would actually be quite in favour since they get nothing from resold games.

Although I do only tend to buy used games I've missed I do tend to miss a lot of them by being away for long periods.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Apparently not.

Actually while I hate the idea I would think that developers would actually be quite in favour since they get nothing from resold games.

Although I do only tend to buy used games I've missed I do tend to miss a lot of them by being away for long periods.

That's the thing though, a lot of casual players (and many many young gamers) buy their games.. play them once... then trade them in on their next game.

Remove that option from the equation and game sales will drop.

That's the thing though, a lot of casual players (and many many young gamers) buy their games.. play them once... then trade them in on their next game.

Well stepping back a moment, patenting the technology dosnt mean it will be part of the PS3.

Resold games have always been a bit of a grey area. If you read most of the copyright agreements it says you can't resell them.

My hunch is this. Much like developers get zip for a resold game, same is true of Sony and since the money is in the games not the hardware the second hand game business must be eating into the profits. When you see a nearly new copy of something for a significant ammount less than the new version as a consumer you may as well get it (since it's all fully intact and sold under guarentee anyway). But by doing so your only paying the store (unless there is somesort of kickback but it's certainly nothing i'm aware of).

So yep the consumer in me is pretty outraged. But it does make sense when you look at it. Assuming it happens at all of course.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Yup, that market dies out too... a lot of people rent games either because they don't want to commit to a full purchase "or" to try before they buy.

Thats another one. I'll speak from personal experience here since I rent a lot of stuff.

If blockbuster has it and it's interesting I will rent it. Now if blockbuster dosnt have it and it's still interesting I will buy it. Thats not a rule as such, but there are lots and lots of things that I've rented (especially on the Xbox) that I may have bought if the rental option wasnt there.

Obviously someone without my moral conviction :D might look towards another avenue.

478327[/snapback]

So yep the consumer in me is pretty outraged. But it does make sense when you look at it. Assuming it happens at all of course.

It doesn't make sense though... customers want options.

and if they had such a problem with game resales places like EB and Gamestop wouldn't be doing it.

I know one thing, if they do use this technology I won't be buying their console... I rarely buy used games, but if I miss one when it comes out, sometimes that's the only real option.

Looks like I might only be getting a Rev :thumbsup:

Well stepping back a moment, patenting the technology dosnt mean it will be part of the PS3.

Resold games have always been a bit of a grey area. If you read most of the copyright agreements it says you can't resell them.

My hunch is this. Much like developers get zip for a resold game, same is true of Sony and since the money is in the games not the hardware the second hand game business must be eating into the profits. When you see a nearly new copy of something for a significant ammount less than the new version as a consumer you may as well get it (since it's all fully intact and sold under guarentee anyway). But by doing so your only paying the store (unless there is somesort of kickback but it's certainly nothing i'm aware of).

AFAIK, the way rentals are handled in the VHS market demonstrates a precedent: the rental videos are of a higher quality (to be able to withstand many more playthroughs) and thus cost more to buy initially (so the rental chain has to pony up more dosh to begin with, and so must claw back their sunk investment before any profit is seen).

I could imagine that the same idea might be tried with rental games, except that there is no way to stop the copying of rentals ... Of course, they might just provide the rental proprietors a master key to re-burn the serial number, but then this leaves those very proprietors with the ability to make bootlegs ...

So, I think this system isn't practical: until full digital rights software is available (and relatively unhackable, i.e. enough of a deterrant for casual pirates) I don't think there is much point.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It doesn't make sense though... customers want options.

and if they had such a problem with game resales places like EB and Gamestop wouldn't be doing it.

I know one thing, if they do use this technology I won't be buying their console... I rarely buy used games, but if I miss one when it comes out, sometimes that's the only real option.

Looks like I might only be getting a Rev :thumbsup:

No arguement there. But equally businesses dont want things that will ultimately damage their business.

Like I said it's a bit a grey area you cant resell PC games.

I wouldnt say I wont buy one. Usually that comes along and bites you in the arse later (just ask Hades). Although I'm not happy about the idea of not being able to get a game I've previously missed. Heck I did the whole FF series (with the exception of III) backwards thanks to that.

478327[/snapback]