Advice needed on fanfics...?

14884_1556103668

I think the biggest advantage to horror fiction is that there is no compulsion for the author to write a Hollywood ending, which I feel is not a bad thing at all. (Hollywood always adds their own happy ending, anyway, when the book is transmogrified into a screenplay; Great Expectations, anyone? :rolleyes:)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think the biggest advantage to horror fiction is that there is no compulsion for the author to write a Hollywood ending, which I feel is not a bad thing at all. (Hollywood always adds their own happy ending, anyway, when the book is transmogrified into a screenplay; Great Expectations, anyone? :lol:)

I would post an example, but I don't know if it would be allowed, plus I would soon have to delete the story from the thread, as my work is copyrighted o:)

Hehehehe usually I loathe happy Hollywood endings, lol, most of my work doesn't end happily :p

Edited by Guest

It gives writers the freedom to treat their characters as they see fit, rather than tie everything up in a pretty pink bow.

Look at Stephen King's The Running Man (written under the pseudonym of Bachman); the protagonist has a completely different way to end the novel compared to Ah-nold's mincing about like he's on Jerry Springer without the metal detectors ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It gives writers the freedom to treat their characters as they see fit, rather than tie everything up in a pretty pink bow.

Look at Stephen King's The Running Man (written under the pseudonym of Bachman); the protagonist has a completely different way to end the novel compared to Ah-nold's mincing about like he's on Jerry Springer without the metal detectors ...

Eh, tell me...I thought Running man was sooooo awful...I read the book, then watched the film, and I was like whoa...what is going on there?

BTW, I am a huge King fan (got a vast collection of his books) and am a major fan of Clive Barker :lol:

Exactly.

Great book (I'm not a rabid King fan, although I liked all the Bachman books) turned into the most saccharinely-warped cheese I have witnessed in a long while (and I am a rabid Arnie fan).

I couldn't guess you were a big King / Barker fan. I enjoy King's endorsements (maybe more than his other writing): "Scared the s**t out of me!" is one of my personal favourites (referring to Hellraiser, iirc).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Ahhhh Hellraiser was class, but a slight disappointment if you ever the read the short novella that it was based on.

*shrugs...I don't know why film makers ever stick to the actual book...guess everyone wants a neat and tidy ending. Noone wants the hero to die I guess :p

Meanwhile, Shawshank Redemption wasn't a bad film at all, although again, it differed from the king short story...while Dreamcatcher was the absolute pits, lol (film, again not book)

Besides, Running man...it was refreshing to see that the hero didn't make it (book again, and so not the film)

o:)

Not everything is sweetness and light :lol:

We, as a nation, have suffered. Wounded and confused, we wonder whether life will ever be the same again. But for all our pain, we can heal, if each one of us pitches in. We all have a part to play, whether donating blood, contributing to relief charities, or writing high-quality fan fiction to help a grieving nation forget its troubles for just a little while.

Such is the burden I have assumed.

Since 1997, through good times and bad, I have been there, creating rousing tales of events that did not actually take place in the official Back To The Future universe but could have. And now, in this time of crisis, I humbly offer these tales to the American people to help soothe their jangled nerves.

Certainly, I am neither the most prolific nor the most acclaimed of America's many Back To The Future fanfic authors. But I like to think that my work is among the most heartfelt, the most human. Take my recently self-published fanfic novella Think, McFly, in which Marty briefly becomes trapped in 1975 Hill Valley.

Let's not dwell on, for the purposes of this brief discussion, my historically accurate portrayal of the era, right down to the TV blaring All In The Family (a sly allusion to the whole theme of the film series). My depiction of Marty as he discovers yet another layer of the intertwined histories of his hometown and family surely approaches the depth of Robert Zemeckis' own work. In one scene, I have Marty encounter his 7-year-old self and, along with the reader, discover why being called a "chicken" has become such a personal curse. Who else in the online fanfic-writing community has taken such a bold leap of imagination while remaining completely true to the spirit of the film series? Can you name even one? I thought not.

But I am not here to cast aspersions on other BTTF fanfic authors. (Not even the wildly overrated Marion Gehl.) Now is the time for Americans to stand tall and united in the face of an ultimate evil, not to nitpick about who obviously doesn't understand what the films are even about. And it certainly isn't the time to actually dare to claim that Claudia Wells was a better Jennifer than Elisabeth Shue. But, then, it never is. (She didn't do anything!)

But I digress. Back To The Future is a timeless story of universal human experiences, like the quest for self-knowledge, overcoming adversity, and going to the school dance with your mother. It is this spirit I seek to honor and uplift through my works.

Consider my upcoming 1920s adventure, tentatively titled Density. In it, Marty and Doc find themselves in the year 1925, only to meet Marty's grandfather, Cyrus McFly, operating a "speakeasy" out of a familiar-looking beverage hall in downtown Hill Valley. The na

I read all the Bachman books at once: I can remember there was The Longest Walk (might not be the exct title) but don't specifically remember the others.

Hmmm.

Ah yes: here they are. The others were okay, but not as good, I seem to recall.

They were not exactly good books of his...the best story out of those is (again) the Running Man-which is a slightly unusual theme for him to do, the sci-fi aspect. A personal favourite of mine is 'IT'...you will never look at a clown in the same light :luck:

[quote name='

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

BTW...I am now working on chapter 5...each chapter is roughly 1500 words...I do wonder if that is long enough :luck: failing that, I will need to go back, and pad each chapter out :wub:"

Hehe for someone who has had writers block for over a year, I sure am on a roll at the moment :p and yes, I really am enjoying writing this (w00t)

[quote name='

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

Don't worry about it :wub:

It's, with the exception of a few people, a friendly atmosphere here, and I don't think people will be anything but honest with you about it. I'm sure they, myself included (and I'm not a very good source of critique, lol), will be happy to offer you their opinion of the work, and try to help you improve your writing.

That and you'll never know if you're any good if you don't let other people see it. :luck:"

- Everlast

^ Case in point :D

- Everlast

Don't worry about it  :p

It's, with the exception of a few people, a friendly atmosphere here, and I don't think people will be anything but honest with you about it. I'm sure they, myself included (and I'm not a very good source of critique, lol), will be happy to offer you their opinion of the work, and try to help you improve your writing.

That and you'll never know if you're any good if you don't let other people see it.  :wub:"

Before I post it on any forum, I would like someones honest thoughts on it...but as it is, here back at home, noone is into KOTOR like I am, so the few that have read it don't really understand what it is about... :luck:

If that's the case, hell, just send it to one of us, via that magical thing we call e-mail, or better yet, just PM it to somebody here.

- Everlast