360 line up

I love rumours! The former rumour I posted turned out to be untrue. But here's a new one to consider :o)

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_blog_e...rd_id=909119209

Even if the Xbox 360 does get a HD-DVD in the future, the game developers aren't allowed to ship games in that format. Weird, huh?

Probably bogus too.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_blog_e...rd_id=909119209

Even if the Xbox 360 does get a HD-DVD in the future, the game developers aren't allowed to ship games in that format. Weird, huh?

Probably bogus too.

That one is likely to be true since the formats don't appear to be compatible and if you use that for games, then only people with HDDVD's will be able to play them, splitting your market. As well as pissing off anyone who bought a DvD version.

Price you pay for rushing to market. Along with an insipid launch lineup and game delays.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Not a single game on that list makes me interested in buying a XBox360.

Not even backgammon? :D

I like backgammon. That is where I can see why I am the "chosen one". ;)

I'm already stoked about Backgammon II: Backgammon Armageddon. Supposively Gregory Rush is going to do the voice of The Hat Salesman

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Your quote from the Bethesda employee was directed at a poster that was including Bethesda as the developers.  I think The Inquirer is referring to just games released upon the launch of the console (which is still stupid of them to do).  In any case The Inquirer has never really been a gem of reliable journalism.

Here's in interesting read for everyone if they haven't read it it:

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/xbox360-2.ars/1

You said something along the lines of "all first generation games" - which encompasses much more than just the "launch games" - of which Call of Duty - a multi-threaded game is part of. With Oblivion only being a couple of weeks later.

I also remember Cliffy B talking about Gears of War being multi-threaded, but I don't recall the source of the interview.

I was referring to The Inquirers interpretation of "first-generation," which I feel is stupid. I know games like Oblivion are multithreaded.

But Oblivion for the Xbox 360 has been delayed until next year.. The PC-version is still coming out on December 2 here in Europe though. EDIT: Gaah, norwegians shouldn't be allowed to read english pressreleases.. The PC-version is delayed too. Sigh.

Edited by mkreku

Yes but multithreading was supposed to be revolutionary remember ? You said it yourself not so long ago...

Thing is none of those games are revolutionary and they all run as well, or better on a pretty "normal" gaming PC.

Yeah, and if you actually follow the progression of various PC/X360 games, you'd realize that Bethesda (for example, since they talk about multi-threading more than anyone) has said, a single processor PC will fail in performance compared to a multi-processor PC with multi-threading or a Xbox 360.

So where is the revolution of multithreading ?

In the fact that games run better, with more impressive visuals (at this point - it will only get better).

If multi-threading wasn't great, then MS and Sony wouldn't be focusing on it for their consoles. But hey, your cynical POV is greater than their knowledge on the industry.

Well cynic and realist are not too far appart. Funny because as I recall you were less than thrilled with the games you saw running on the 360 as well..

Selective memory...

What was it ? Call of Duty and Oblivion were the only impressive things there ?

Condemned

Kameo

Project Gotham Racing 3

5 of the 9 titles blew me away

1 of them (Dead or Alive) looked good, but wasn't jaw dropping - his (Itagki) art style is just too plain so far.

I hate EA games - so their two games I had instant bias against and NFS had a bad framerate - which directly relates to EA's inability to release a quality product.

PDZ was just sad to me - but Xbots around the net are starting to dig the art style, graphics and gameplay in all of the leaked handheld video captures from various events.

Nice try, ace.

But Oblivion for the Xbox 360 has been delayed until next year.. The PC-version is still coming out on December 2 here in Europe though. Kind of weird since someone on this board claimed that developers in general had said the Xbox 360 had the best development tools they'd worked with. Guess the PC is still easier.

That's funny, since Take Two just announced a delay, PERIOD, not just for the console version.

Way to go!

Edited by Epiphany

That's funny, since Take Two just announced a delay, PERIOD, not just for the console version.

Yup, my fault. My norwegian newseditor misunderstood the pressrelease when he wrote the newsbit for our site. I will spank him for an hour or so.

Yeah, and if you actually follow the progression of various PC/X360 games, you'd realize that Bethesda (for example, since they talk about multi-threading more than anyone) has said, a single processor PC will fail in performance compared to a multi-processor PC with multi-threading or a Xbox 360.

In the fact that games run better, with more impressive visuals (at this point - it will only get better).

If multi-threading wasn't great, then MS and Sony wouldn't be focusing on it for their consoles.  But hey, your cynical POV is greater than their knowledge on the industry.

Condemned

Kameo

Project Gotham Racing 3

5 of the 9 titles blew me away

1 of them (Dead or Alive) looked good, but wasn't jaw dropping - his (Itagki) art style is just too plain so far.

I hate EA games - so their two games I had instant bias against and NFS had a bad framerate - which directly relates to EA's inability to release a quality product.

PDZ was just sad to me - but Xbots around the net are starting to dig the art style, graphics and gameplay in all of the leaked handheld video captures from various events.

Bethesda talk about a lot of things. Some of which even come true :D Thus far nothing has really pushed the envolope and if Oblivion can play identically on a PC I'm not holding my breath.

My cynical point of view is usually close to the truth.

What's to be impressed about Gotham Racing ? It's the same game with pretier graphics.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Bethesda talk about a lot of things. Some of which even come true :D Thus far nothing has really pushed the envolope and if Oblivion can play identically on a PC I'm not holding my breath.

Is your PC a multi-core processor? If so, then get the PC version, if not, then it won't play the same, run the same or even look the same.

My cynical point of view is usually close to the truth.

In your world...

What's to be impressed about Gotham Racing ? It's the same game with pretier graphics.

Same game? Really? Wow, so why all the physics and handling improvments in PGR3? Oh that's right, you're cynical, and can't accept the fact that it's just a better racing game than before, you see better graphics and assume that's all that's been upgraded.

Epiphany, there isn't much to a racing racing game in the first place.  Played one and you have pretty much played them all.  You are on a track and go around in circles.  Wow.  What fun.  :blink:

There is more to a racing game than that, and I'm not even a big fan of them.

Forza and the Project Gotham Racing series are all racing games, and Forza is completely different than the PGR games... completely different.

Is your PC a multi-core processor?  If so, then get the PC version, if not, then it won't play the same, run the same or even look the same.

In your world...

Same game?  Really?  Wow, so why all the physics and handling improvments in PGR3?  Oh that's right, you're cynical, and can't accept the fact that it's just a better racing game than before, you see better graphics and assume that's all that's been upgraded.

Guess we will have to wait till both are released.

Oddly enough my world and the real world overlap frequently.

Funny didnt seem that improved :blink: . But then I'm with Hades when it comes to racing games.

478327[/snapback]

Guess we will have to wait till both are released.

Yeah, cause developers trying to explain to people on the forums that the game runs better and looks better on multi-core processors just isn't enough.

Oddly enough my world and the real world overlap frequently.

Again, in your fantasy world.

Funny didnt seem that improved :blink: . But then I'm with Hades when it comes to racing games.

It just proves how cynical you are, because if you read my impressions, you'd notice that I didn't like racing games either, but was extremely impressed with how PGR3 played and looked.

Your closed minded, and have bought into the Sony hype - it's a sad combination, but one you've embraced.

Yeah, cause developers trying to explain to people on the forums that the game runs better and looks better on multi-core processors just isn't enough.

Again, in your fantasy world.

It just proves how cynical you are, because if you read my impressions, you'd notice that I didn't like racing games either, but was extremely impressed with how PGR3 played and looked.

Your closed minded, and have bought into the Sony hype - it's a sad combination, but one you've embraced.

Yeah because developers have never exagerated have they :huh:

Like I said it turns out to be correct most of the time.

Good for you. I wasnt , deal with it.

Wrong again. Rather your the one swallowing the MS hype. Since I havnt bought a PS3 yet, nor am I telling people to buy one (unless they want a free Blu Ray player) that hardly qualifies as falling for hype does it :blink: Advocating waiting is simply common sense.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

Yeah because developers have never exagerated have they  :huh:

Cynical man to save the day! I forgot, you're one of the people that feel all developers lie, even those that try to explain how their engine specifically takes advantage of superior hardware, and those that have such hardware will experience a better looking/running game.

Good for you. I wasnt , deal with it.

Nothing to really deal with, since you're rather clueless on the topic of racing games in general. Living over seas, I thought you'd be more in tune with racing games, since the European market eats them up like the American audience eats up FPS.

Wrong again. Rather your the one swallowing the MS hype. Since I havnt bought a PS3 yet, nor am I telling people to buy one (unless they want a free Blu Ray player) that hardly qualifies as falling for hype does it  :blink: Advocating waiting is simply common sense.

Oh, I don't tell people to buy the X360, I simply point out the benefits it has. Last I heard, the PS3 wasn't free, so it won't be a source for a "free Blu-Ray player". I've yet to swallow MS hype, as all of my opinions/facts on the console are from first hand impressions and developer/engineer comments. I don't soley base my entire stance on a console from an E3 show, where they display a bunch of FMV, and bombard people with CGI and claim it's real time.

Edited by Epiphany

Cynical man to save the day!  I forgot, you're one of the people that feel all developers lie, even those that try to explain how their engine specifically takes advantage of superior hardware, and those that have such hardware will experience a better looking/running game.

Nothing to really deal with, since you're rather clueless on the topic of racing games in general.  Living over seas, I thought you'd be more in tune with racing games, since the European market eats them up like the American audience eats up FPS.

Oh, I don't tell people to buy the X360, I simply point out the benefits it has.  Last I heard, the PS3 wasn't free, so it won't be a source for a "free Blu-Ray player".  I've yet to swallow MS hype, as all of my opinions/facts on the console are from first hand impressions and developer/engineer comments.  I don't soley base my entire stance on a console from an E3 show, where they display a bunch of FMV, and bombard people with CGI and claim it's real time.

Nah that one be Hades. When it comes to Bethesda they have a history of exageration hence I take what they say with a pinch of salt.

Dont mistake clueless for indiferent :D I've yet to play a racing game that comes close to the real deal. Good for people who want to live the fantast though I guess.

Depends how much the PS3 retails at it's free in the sense that you will pay the same for a Blu Ray player as you would for the console. At least if the DvD pricing scheme remains constant from the PS2. As I recall I paid

478327[/snapback]

Nah that one be Hades. When it comes to Bethesda they have a history of exageration hence I take what they say with a pinch of salt.

Cynical man to save the day.

Depends how much the PS3 retails at it's free in the sense that you will pay the same for a Blu Ray player as you would for the console. At least if the DvD pricing scheme remains constant from the PS2. As I recall I paid

Cynical man to save the day.

So the PS3 will be ~$700.  Cool - it'll fail.

When I copy/paste, I don't edit.  When I paraphrase, it's a paraphrase of what was said.

Oh but the PS3 is superior by your claims, based on what was shown at E3 (which is years away from completion).  Otherwise, you'd base it off of Fatal Inertia - which is actual gameplay, on the hardware.

Nothing wrong with a healthy does on cynicism.

Not sure where you came up with that figure.. I'd say $499 but if a Blu Ray player is retailing at $299 then it's still a bargain.

It's easier to copy paste. It also means that you dont missrepresent the quote.

In some areas, yes like having Blu Ray , having built in BC it's also a plus. Also anyone not in MS's pocket have said the PS3 has superior capabilities, which is not suprising since your going to be paying for them same as you did with the Xbox.

Only a fool would base anything off a game that was that far from completion. Being unimpressed with the 360 line up on the hand, well not like anything is going to change at this point in time. If it [FI] still looks as bad as you say a month or two from release I'm sure people will take note. At the moment, completely irrelevent.

478327[/snapback]

I've yet to swallow MS hype, as all of my opinions/facts on the console are from first hand impressions and developer/engineer comments. 

Hahaha! Right :shifty:

Not sure where you came up with that figure.. I'd say $499 but if a Blu Ray player is retailing at $299 then it's still a bargain.

Blu-Ray players will not be $299 at the launch of the PS3... LOL

It's easier to copy paste. It also means that you dont missrepresent the quote.

Ok, Captain Cynic, I'll try better in the future.

In some areas, yes like having Blu Ray , having built in BC it's also a plus. Also anyone not in MS's pocket have said the PS3 has superior capabilities, which is not suprising since your going to be paying for them same as you did with the Xbox.

Anyone not in their pocket? Bzzzz... Wrong. The only people touting superiority of the PS3 over the X360 is the developers that are in Sony's pocket. The rational people are claiming they'll be similar in overall power, but the X360 is easier to develop for.

Only a fool would base anything off a game that was that far from completion.  Being unimpressed with the 360 line up on the hand, well not like anything is going to change at this point in time. If it [FI] still looks as bad as you say a month or two from release I'm sure people will take note. At the moment, completely irrelevent.

Yeah, much like when this board got silly over X360 game videos from alpha hardware. Spouting off "PS3 HAS BETTER GRAPHICS! PS3 HAS A HIGHER RESOLUTION! (my personal favorite), etc... I guess it's easier to be hypocrites than you actually follow through with your actions. Consistancy is not your strongest point I see.

Hahaha! Right

Yep. Buying into hype would be believing the console will dominate in Japan, and whatnot. But I forgot, your swedish gaming powers has given you great insight into the finer details of the console, that us mortals could not begin to understand.

Edited by Epiphany

Blu-Ray players will not be $299 at the launch of the PS3...  LOL

Ok, Captain Cynic, I'll try better in the future.

Anyone not in their pocket?  Bzzzz... Wrong.  The only people touting superiority of the PS3 over the X360 is the developers that are in Sony's pocket.  The rational people are claiming they'll be similar in overall power, but the X360 is easier to develop for.

Yeah, much like when this board got silly over X360 game videos from alpha hardware.  Spouting off "PS3 HAS BETTER GRAPHICS! PS3 HAS A HIGHER RESOLUTION! (my personal favorite), etc...  I guess it's easier to be hypocrites than you actually follow through with your actions.  Consistancy is not your strongest point I see.

How do you know ?

Good it would save a lot of hassle all around.

Sorry again your wrong.

I'm bored, so I decided to decipher one of Epiphany's more sane looking recent posts.

This one:

The X360 has the best development tools developers have worked with.  Many developers have backed this claim, including John Carmack, in a recent G4TV interview - in which they continually tried to get him to claim the PS3 was "better".  He simply looked at them and said developing for a console with better tools is superior than developing for a console that has marginally superior FLOP performance.

For fun, let's break down what Epiphany is writing in the above quote, shall we?

"The X360 has the best development tools developers have worked with. Many developers have backed this claim, including John Carmack..." - Epiphany

This, I assume, is taken from the QuakeCon where Carmack spoke about developing on the Xbox 360. So what's the real quote then?

"Carmack also praised Microsoft's development environment as easily the best of any of the consoles, thanks to the company's background as a software provider. Carmack said the 360, like the original Xbox, is easy to create games for thanks to a solid set of development tools. However, he went on, Sony is promoting the PS3 as offering more of an open environment for development, like the PC - and Carmack can't see Microsoft following suit." -Carmack at QuakeCon

Not quite the same, huh? Ok, the Xbox 360 is the easiest to work on of the current consoles, but where's the part about it having the best tools he's worked with? I'd say that's a pretty major detail, wouldn't you? Especially as Epiphany words it, as it sounds as developers in general think this. Epiphany also chose not to include what Carmack said about the PS3, which to me sounds like praise too, although in a different field.

(Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60510 , http://techreport.com/etc/2005q3/carmack-q...on/index.x?pg=1 )

Let's continue on:

"...in a recent G4TV interview - in which they continually tried to get him to claim the PS3 was "better"." - Epiphany

And the real world equivalent?

"On the subject of whether the 360 is superior to the PS3, Carmack described the hardware as "comparable", but conceded: "PS3 is probably marginally more powerful, in terms of raw flops and graphic operations."" - G4tv

G4tv asked John if he didn't believe the PS3 was more powerful than the Xbox 360, one time during the interview. Continually tried to make him claim the PS3 was more powerful.. Right.

Also (the important part):

"He simply looked at them and said developing for a console with better tools is superior than developing for a console that has marginally superior FLOP performance." - Epiphany

Notice how Epiphany in this sentence conveniently 'forgets' to add that John Carmack, programming guru of ID Software, thinks the PS3 is more powerful in FLOPS and graphic operations. Not only FLOPS as Epiphany claims (or, as Epiphany calls it, FLOP...). Guess Carmack doesn't see the Xbox 360 GPU (Xenos) as such a groundbreaking feature after all. Of course, this goes against everything Epiphany has been preaching for the last couple of months, which is why he left that vital piece of information about graphics operations out. Guess the PS3 isn't just all about FLOPS after all..

(Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61352 , http://www.g4tv.com/videos/index.html )

Well up until now the PS3 does support 1080 out of the box. The 360 on the other hand does not. Only the "deluxe" model does.

I'd read the above and what your "summarising" quotes lead to before you start tossing around the H word though. And dont forget the board is a made up of individuals and we dont always agree. It's not like there is a board identity.

478327[/snapback]

Well up until now the PS3 does support 1080 out of the box. The 360 on the other hand does not. Only the "deluxe" model does.

WTF are you smoking. The Xbox 360, period, has 1080i ability. It's in the dash as a display option. All games will support 720p and 1080i, since NOT supporting 1080i would be market suicide, as DLP TV's are generally the only 720p resolution displays on the market.

I'd read the above and what your "summarising" quotes lead to before you start tossing around the H word though. And dont forget the board is a made up of individuals and we dont always agree. It's not like there is a board identity.

XNA allows instant/free translation from PC to X360 and from X360 to PC. Any ease of development on the console is equally as easy as PC development. The comment wasn't worth responding to, because getting simple things through the heads of some of you is less enjoyable than having a root canal through your butt.

XNA != PC developement but

XNA ease == PC development ease since they flawlessly translate between the two

Also, the quote provided about FLOP performance - he forgot to mention Carmack said probably more powerful - which is why I omitted it, because he doesn't even know yet.

Fanboy spin for Sony, GO!

Try again, Beavis.

WTF are you smoking.  The Xbox 360, period, has 1080i ability.  It's in the dash as a display option.  All games will support 720p and 1080i, since NOT supporting 1080i would be market suicide, as DLP TV's are generally the only 720p resolution displays on the market.

XNA allows instant/free translation from PC to X360 and from X360 to PC.  Any ease of development on the console is equally as easy as PC development.  The comment wasn't worth responding to, because getting simple things through the heads of some of you is less enjoyable than having a root canal through your butt.

XNA != PC developement but

XNA ease == PC development ease since they flawlessly translate between the two

Also, the quote provided about FLOP performance - he forgot to mention Carmack said probably more powerful - which is why I omitted it, because he doesn't even know yet.

Fanboy spin for Sony, GO!

Try again, Beavis.

- Xbox 360 Standard AV Cable. This connects gamers to the world of Xbox 360, delivering great next-generation graphics and games using standard-definition connections.

- Xbox 360 Component HD-AV Cable. This connects gamers to the world of Xbox 360 games and graphics through high-definition and standard-definition connections

Sorry looks like your wrong again while the console might be able to do it , it wont unless you have the appropriate cable. I guess they figure anyone who cant afford a deluxe model is too poor to afford a HDTV :ph34r:

How is it spin ? I never altered anything , unlike you. The only one guilty of spin here is you.

478327[/snapback]