NHL is back

Fionavar

How do you know if a penalty's incorrect if you're listening to the game?

I listen to the commentators. You know, like how they tell you who has the puck, who scored the goal and such..?

I know. But on Sundays where I'm rolling home from work, I try to catch football on the radio for the drive; I can get a good sense of who's doing what, but if somebody's called for pass interference I have no clue if it's justified or not.

Not arguing, by the way, just genuinely curious, since I can never really tell if I don't actually see it.

If I had a choice I'd watch it too. It's still not impossible to hear what's going on. NHL.com has some really good commentators who are really giving you the game play-by-play. Of course, it's still only a feeling you get over an entire game, if the refs are being uneven or inconsistant. I would blame it on bias of the commentators in the usual case. But then the commentators are screaming about weird penalties for both teams something is definitely wrong.

By the way, the Leafs are trailing Washington by 1 goal. Hooray. At least Sundin has 2 assists in this game. Was hoping for a burst of goals too, but..

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If I had a choice I'd watch it too. It's still not impossible to hear what's going on. NHL.com has some really good commentators who are really giving you the game play-by-play. Of course, it's still only a feeling you get over an  entire game, if the refs are being uneven or inconsistant. I would blame it on bias of the commentators in the usual case. But then the commentators are screaming about weird penalties for both teams something is definitely wrong.

By the way, the Leafs are trailing Washington by 1 goal. Hooray. At least Sundin has 2 assists in this game. Was hoping for a burst of goals too, but..

Edit: Spelling.

The Caps beat 'em, and my boy Ovechkin got a pair. Couldn't be happier.

The Caps beat 'em, and my boy Ovechkin got a pair.  Couldn't be happier.

As much as I like Ovechkin, I'd rather see him score on other teams than the Leafs.. :)

Oh well. Rematch on Tuesday!! Welcome to Air Canada Center!

Ovechkin is a goal scoring machine, without him Washington would have won 0 games

and on that note the Flames are back on track on a three game winning streak well Calgary might not score much but they got Kipper playing well again

Oh yeah mkreku I feel sorry about the huge trade Fergie did!!! Nathan Perrott to Dallas for a 4 or 6 draft pick hehe

Ovechkin is who I'm cheering for for the rookie of the year.

I find his feats more impressive than Sid the Kid (who is playing well too) given he has a stunning lack of talent on his team. I'm not sure how Crosby would do if the situations were reversed.

I was hoping that Corey Perry from Anaheim would outpoint them both just to make everyone aware there were more than two rookies entering the NHL this season. But a concussion to him and some common sense to me says that probably is not going to happen.

Looking at the stats Ovechkin is playing over 19 minutes a game while Sid is a tad behind at 18 and a half. Dion Phaneuf from Calgary is logging in quite a few as well and could get some contention. And I'm amazed Mkreku didn't name Alexander Steen come to think of it.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

And I'm amazed Mkreku didn't name Alexander Steen come to think of it.

Steen is great but he won't win any scoring titles, and unless you're watching the Leafs each and every game I'm certain it's difficult to appreciate how well the kid plays. He's just like his father, an excellent two-way player that gets ice-time in boxplay, powerplay and even strength. And he's a rookie! It's hard to believe that Quinn (of all people) puts so much trust in a rookie. If the Calder trophy would go to the best two-way rookie, I'm sure Steen would be in the race.. but not as it is now.

OLN's showing the Penguins-Rangers game tonight, so I'm finally going to get to see this Crosby kid in action. Something tells me that I'm going to come out of it still wanting Ovechkin to win the Calder, but hey. I can be biased, since Pittsburgh actually has a good team.

So how was Crosby? I saw he got the First Star, but I didn't care to listen to that game.. Radio is ok, but I'd get fed up if I listened to anything but Leafs games.

So how was Crosby? I saw he got the First Star, but I didn't care to listen to that game.. Radio is ok, but I'd get fed up if I listened to anything but Leafs games.

Eh. He was alright. He could've gotten a pair of natural hat tricks and I'd still end up preferring Ovechkin, though.

I will say this: the Penguins didn't look like they were underperforming. Or maybe the Rangers were just playing terribly; all of their power plays went the same way. They'd manage to get it up into Pittsburgh's zone, they'd try a pass back to the blue line, the defenseman would muff it, and they'd have to reset. Come to think of it, that's pretty much the way their normal offense went, too. I still have no idea how they managed to get their goals.

Eh.  He was alright.  He could've gotten a pair of natural hat tricks and I'd still end up preferring Ovechkin, though.

Yeah, I've been fortunate enough to be able to follow Ovechkin for a couple of years before he entered the NHL. He's one of those rare players that you just enjoy watching, because of his unpredictable nature and raw talent. I just wish he was a Leaf.

Unfortunately for me, I haven't seen much of Crosby at all. All I know about him is basically what I read during the lo.. lock.. during that awful, horrible time when no hockey was played. It was mostly hype though. Still, he keeps producing, even if he's not yet dominant enough to win games all by himself.

Edit: Doesn't look good for the Oilers tonite.. At least it's against Dallas, a 0.500+ team, and not against Washington.

Edited by mkreku

Eh.  He was alright.  He could've gotten a pair of natural hat tricks and I'd still end up preferring Ovechkin, though.

Yeah, I've been fortunate enough to be able to follow Ovechkin for a couple of years before he entered the NHL. He's one of those rare players that you just enjoy watching, because of his unpredictable nature and raw talent. I just wish he was a Leaf.

Unfortunately for me, I haven't seen much of Crosby at all. All I know about him is basically what I read during the lo.. lock.. during that awful, horrible time when no hockey was played. It was mostly hype though. Still, he keeps producing, even if he's not yet dominant enough to win games all by himself.

Edit: Doesn't look good for the Oilers tonite.. At least it's against Dallas, a 0.500+ team, and not against Washington.

You probably already know this, but the ESPN website's NHL section usually has some clips of all the action. Usually just highlights, but better than nothing, at least. I can't imagine never getting to watch an NHL game.

Crosby was good, but I honestly didn't get the same vibe from him that you get from watching Ovechkin. Everybody is very well aware of when exactly he's on the ice - probably because he's the only guy on the Caps who can get it into the net with any consistency - whereas Crosby was kind of just another name next to Lemieux and the rest of that team.

You have to remember that Ovechkin is 21 and Crosby is 18 though. I bet when Crosby is 21 he'll be the player to watch in Pittsburgh.

Yes it was a **** night for the Oilers. Outplayed and outshot, there were few positives in this game. Aside from the captain Jason Smith running over everything in his path and getting in a fight with Bill Guerin, the team didn't wake up until the third.

And I see Calgary just took the lead against the Canucks. At least I didn't have to shell out an extra ten bucks to watch that game. Unlike the Oiler telecast. :ermm:

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I'm listening to my dad watching the Canuck game on the phone, he's hilarious. He's raging about the officiating. Apparently its pretty one sided.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

One sided and over. For the Canucks that is. At least Bertuzzi got back on track tonight with a goal and an assist.

And after watching the highlights tonight I'd like to give a nod to the Rangers' Marcel Hossa, who was laid out crossing over the blue line then hurried back to his feet to score goal two in a 3-2 loss. Great hustle.

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

We're taking on Washington tonite! The league's most feared and dangerous team!!1

No matter, I bet the Leafs will manage to find a way to lose and Ovechkin can score three new ones. Grr.

Comissar I'm curious as to your coverage from OLN. Did you have to pay extra to watch hockey or is it part of their regular programming? And you wouldn't know how many games are on on average for a week? Everything I've been hearing about OLN and their telecasts has been bad.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif