x800xl

I believe so, however your motherboard seems to only support upto x4 AGP speed, where pretty much any card nowadays is x8.

That said, i think it should run, but i'm not sure how much it will reduce performance.

Reading up online seemed to discover that the difference between x4 and x8 is unnoticable. This is how one explanation read...

Imagine a 4 lane highway that is changed to an 8 lane highway. Now, both highways have the same speed limit, the only difference is one has 4 more lanes.

Even though there are more lanes, all of the cars are still moving at the same speed. 65MPH or whatever you'd like.

Because it is wider, the potential to deliver twice as much traffic is there, but the 4 lane highway wasn't busy to start with... So people aren't really using the highway to its full potential.

Also, i would reccomend keeping your eye out for 512mb of ram, it should be cheap enough to find and should definatly help :p

EDIT: or another stick of 256mb so that it adds up to 512mb, seeing as it seems your only using 1 RAM slot you should have 1 or 2 free slots to put some more into.

Edited by Cactus

I believe so, however your motherboard seems to only support upto x4 AGP speed, where pretty much any card nowadays is x8.

That said, i think it should run, but i'm not sure how much it will reduce performance.

Reading up online seemed to discover that the difference between x4 and x8 is unnoticable. This is how one explanation read...

Imagine a 4 lane highway that is changed to an 8 lane highway. Now, both highways have the same speed limit, the only difference is one has 4 more lanes.

Even though there are more lanes, all of the cars are still moving at the same speed. 65MPH or whatever you'd like.

Because it is wider, the potential to deliver twice as much traffic is there, but the 4 lane highway wasn't busy to start with... So people aren't really using the highway to its full potential.

Also, i would reccomend keeping your eye out for 512mb of ram, it should be cheap enough to find and should definatly help :p

EDIT: or another stick of 256mb so that it adds up to 512mb, seeing as it seems your only using 1 RAM slot you should have 1 or 2 free slots to put some more into.

ok, thx for ur info :-

by the way, i still have 3 more free ram slots left(1 ddr, and 2 sdr)

if i am going to buy a new ram to run dual channel, do i need to aware of its speed and size???

do i have to get a 256 PC2100??? or any others are fine??

sry for asking so many questions~~

You're probably better off saving up more for a new motherboard (hopefully not new processor) to simply the whole deal with the RAM and get the PCI-Express version.

At least then you can reuse the card if you upgrade again later (and can use it in Crossfire as well).

If sticking with the motherboard probably better of just getting a 6600GT, old Radeon 9800 or one of those low-end X800 AGP's, still very capable cards and at least the likely hood of wasting performance from only 4X AGP is reduced. (and save lots of money).

You're next motherboard probably won't be AGP anyway so there's no point saying you'll use the 8X AGP characteristic later.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Its been a while since i read up on duel channel, but if i recall correctly having the same speed is reccomended but i'm not sure about the size.

If in doubt you could always pick up a 512 single stick, RAM can be pretty cheap nowadays.

It can be a bit of a leap (hardware compatibility wise and money wise) making the jump from AGP to PCI express. It all depends on your budget and how long you want the upgrade to last. I didnt want to upgrade to PCI-e so i got the best AGP card i could, which is currently a 6800gt (you can get the 6800 ultra, but they seem to cost nearly twice as much for little gain).

If your ugrading to PCI-e i would say you''ll need a new motherboard, RAM, graphics card, and probly CPU.

If your wanting to stick to AGP you could simply upgrade the Graphics Card.

Personally, me being tight with money, would probly upgrade the graphics card and get a stick of 512mb RAM, maybe two sticks if budget allowed.

What speed is your CPU anyway? It would be good to know.

You're probably better off saving up more for a new motherboard (hopefully not new processor) to simply the whole deal with the RAM and get the PCI-Express version.

At least then you can reuse the card if you upgrade again later (and can use it in Crossfire as well).

If sticking with the motherboard probably better of just getting a 6600GT, old Radeon 9800 or one of those low-end X800 AGP's, still very capable cards and at least the likely hood of wasting performance from only 4X AGP is reduced. (and save lots of money).

You're next motherboard probably won't be AGP anyway so there's no point saying you'll use the 8X AGP characteristic later.

if i have to get a new motherboard, i am afraid that i have to get a new CPU as well, coz the CPU i am using is a P4 2.5a socket 478, from the webpage below, i couldn't find any mother board that can spport both 478pin CPU and PCI-E at the same time.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?d...md=pl&id=MB.575

Its been a while since i read up on duel channel, but if i recall correctly having the same speed is reccomended but i'm not sure about the size.

If in doubt you could always pick up a 512 single stick, RAM can be pretty cheap nowadays.

It can be a bit of a leap (hardware compatibility wise and money wise) making the jump from AGP to PCI express. It all depends on your budget and how long you want the upgrade to last. I didnt want to upgrade to PCI-e so i got the best AGP card i could, which is currently a 6800gt (you can get the 6800 ultra, but they seem to cost nearly twice as much for little gain).

If your ugrading to PCI-e i would say you''ll need a new motherboard, RAM, graphics card, and probly CPU.

If your wanting to stick to AGP you could simply upgrade the Graphics Card.

Personally, me being tight with money, would probly upgrade the graphics card and get a stick of 512mb RAM, maybe two sticks if budget allowed.

What speed is your CPU anyway? It would be good to know.

the CPU i am using is a P4 2.5a with a 300w power supply

post-12247-1129159963_thumb.jpg