PC Version of Seven Sorrows Kaput

alanschu

Not a big deal.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Dammit, meta, you beat me to it. Of course, I never cared about playing Seven Sorrows in the first place, so maybe I should thank Sawyer.

Still, I feel sorry for folks who work on any project only to see it go up in smoke.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

We should start taking Baley's attitude with every non-pc game launch.

"It's not worth **** if it's not on my computah!"

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Computer RPGs>Console RPGs

Always have,always will.

Until they improve the console interface to the point of parity with the PC (if and when such a thing might happen). Whilst the console is just ten buttons arranged for optimum twitch reflex, not much in the manner of cogent verbal interaction is possible.

Still, I can foresee an advanced intuitive interface that helps convey all sorts of information, even verbal. Whether the console audience would be interested is another question ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Who cares? They can put all the hack n slash games on consoles, so we proper PC users wont have to recognise their existence.

The small pool of PC RPGs gets a little smaller. :(

Gauntlet SS is/was not an RPG :-

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Dammit, meta, you beat me to it. 

:D (Awarded: TOMBS bonus +2 to posting speed)

Of course, I never cared about playing Seven Sorrows in the first place, so maybe I should thank Sawyer.

Still, I feel sorry for folks who work on any project only to see it go up in smoke.

There is definitely a huge proportion of project casualties in the gaming industry.

Not the most appealing characteristic of the sector. It certainly must dissuade both venture capitalists and raw recruits, as well as helping to burn out the essential experienced talent, who must become jaded ... in a small way it deminishes us all: no wonder big fat conglomerates thrive and publish derivative games devoid on innovation, there is no fat in the manufacturing process on which creatives need to feed.

:-

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Dammit, meta, you beat me to it.  Of course, I never cared about playing Seven Sorrows in the first place, so maybe I should thank Sawyer.

Well, it will still see release on the console platform. Or so the article says. :ph34r:

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Until they improve the console interface to the point of parity with the PC (if and when such a thing might happen). Whilst the console is just ten buttons arranged for optimum twitch reflex, not much in the manner of cogent verbal interaction is possible.

Still, I can foresee an advanced intuitive interface that helps convey all sorts of information, even verbal. Whether the console audience would be interested is another question ...

Still, all that would be put to waste if the majority of console RPGs doesn't rise up from the 'lets save the world and play some card game while we're at it' and similar attitudes.

There are console games that already respond to vocal commands.

Again, there are plenty of PC games that are just silly twitch reflexes, where as there are console titles like Pucelle Tactics or Gladius that require a finer strategy. People shouldn't make blanket statements about an entire platform.

Computer RPGs>Console RPGs

Always have,always will.

So what - you couldn't stick a game with the dialog depth of PS: T or interesting RPG combat on console software?

Funny - some of the better RPG stories I remember in recent years were on console first (KOTOR, KOTOR II, Jade Empire.) Likewise, I find the combat of the Final Fantasy series more interesting than a lot of PC RPGs released lately, Guild Wars being an obvious exception.

There's nothing about consoles themselves that makes them inherently bad for single player RPGs - though I'll agree that at the moment the PC market tends to see more interesting games in that genre.

Feel free to steal this sig.

There are console games that already respond to vocal commands.

Again, there are plenty of PC games that are just silly twitch reflexes, where as there are console titles like Pucelle Tactics or Gladius that require a finer strategy. People shouldn't make blanket statements about an entire platform.

Still, all that would be put to waste if the majority of console RPGs doesn't rise up from the 'lets save the world and play some card game while we're at it' and similar attitudes.

:D

Funny - some of the better RPG stories I remember in recent years were on console first (KOTOR, KOTOR II, Jade Empire.)  Likewise, I find the combat of the Final Fantasy series more interesting than a lot of PC RPGs released lately, Guild Wars being an obvious exception.

I find you lack of taste disturbing. :("

There's nothing about consoles themselves that makes them inherently bad for single player RPGs - though I'll agree that at the moment the PC market tends to see more interesting games in that genre.

No, but there seems to be an established marketing orthodoxy that stipulates consoles are for mindless FPS-type games only.

Don't get me wrong, I would play any sort of game on any platform, so long as the medium didn't retard the experience. :)

It's not my decision, however; it is the marketing wisemen who seem to have pegged the consoles as "thirty-minutes-to-kill-after-work-and-before-social-life" facilitators, and consequently there seems to be a dearth of deep entertainment for them.

Certainly, the PC does have a natural advantage: consoles are seen as cut-down PCs with suped-up graphics (even though they display on tv resolutions) and no keyboard; whereas the PC started with games with no/very poor graphics and increasingly complex interactions to compensate.

I would not be surprised to see some sort of portable mini-iPod-type device that handles telephonic, PDA and business functions of our lives (much as the mobile phone has become indispensible in little over a decade), and these devices being utilised for more and more complex entertainments, including games.

It is not difficult to add a HUD ("eyephones" :D

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It's the new Guantlet game. (Didn't you ever play that game in the arcade, with a bunch of friends, that stole thousands of $1 coins for each sixty seconds of play time, as you all rushed headlong into a seemingly endless mad dash through a myriad of almost identical romms containing potions, magic and monsters?)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

(Didn't you ever play that game in the arcade, with a bunch of friends, that stole thousands of $1 coins for each sixty seconds of play time, as you all rushed headlong into a seemingly endless mad dash through a myriad of almost identical romms containing potions, magic and monsters?)

If you remove the arcade and quarter theft bits, that reminds me a lot of my former trippy LSD days.

It's pretty bad that we get to see another of Saywer's project cancelled, or at least a version of the project. Hopefully he'll have better luck with his projects at Obsidian.