F.E.A.R. Demo Coming

alanschu

Bump.

I just downloaded the demo, and played...

Surprisingly enough, I actually liked what I'd seen. Scary games don't really appeal to me, but F.E.A.R seems to do it, I don't know...right. It's a much more visceral feeling compared to a game like Doom 3.

I honestly felt like I was being followed all thoughout the demo, I kept having to turn around and check every now and then, just to prove to myself that I was alone in those dark corridors.

Admittedly, I was a bit jumpy, ever since the sewers at the very beginning. (I opened up with my SMG the second I saw that damn little girl...I'm sure I'd of killed her, were she not an incorporeal nightmare :'( .)

All in all, a great game, though I did notice striking similarities between its engine and Doom's.

Even though its a bit frightening, it was somehow a good feeling this time...I haven't felt that alive in years ;)

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

"Even though its a bit frightening, it was somehow a good feeling this time...I haven't felt that alive in years"

You should buy more horror games then. I know I buy one occasionaly, to keep my interest fresh and my knuckles white. ;)

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The engine of the game is gorgeous.

And I like it when the game engine still renders your character.  One thing that I thought was silly in Doom 3 was that I didn't cast a shadow.

Actually you can cast a shadow with a console command, but it's pretty stupid looking. You need to be able to see your legs (like in Halo 2) for the shadow to look proper.

linkie (fourth one down)

Apparently my searching skills have diminished. Maybe my search skill is directly related to my poor charisma skill. <_<

Maybe if your searching skills were better, you might be able to find your charisma ... :-"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Wasn't this thread about FEAR, eh?

I'm such a hypocrite.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Actually, I found the F.E.A.R demo alone to be more entertaining than Doom 3.

Very immersive and cinematic, if you can hack the requirements.

This looks like a very good FPS. I especially like the A.I and setting (Military police fighing the paranormal).

Will be waiting for its release, bar any real-world anomalies.

1024x768, Max settings. :-

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Maybe I'm just old school, but I don't find resolution to be that big of a problem past 1024x768.

While in the middle of a game, I've never paused to notice "oh my, this game is all pixelly!" at anything other than 800x600 or less. Even then, I can tolerate 800x600.

Maybe it's just because my monitor can't do 1600x1200 very well (only 60 Hz), so I have just never bothered.

It probably doesn't hurt that I only have a 17" monitor as well, so those pixels are a little smaller.

Antialiasing has kind of made the hunt for more pixels obsolete. 800x600+ and you're fine, as long as you have a few FSAA to even things out.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Graphics, schmapics. If the animation is believable; I'll play.

kirottu said:

I've always been more impressed with the bumpmapping, increased polygon counts, and so on.

I never play with FSAA, as I don't consider the "improvement" in image quality to be worth the hit.

I'd much rather crank up pixelshading and ansiotropic filtering.