In-game adverts

Link.

To summarise, the MMPORPG Anarchy Online is about to feature in-game adverts for Panasonic and for the TV show Lost. The ads run for 15 seconds each time.

This has been an issue for fans of upcoming adventure Dreamfall (from the same company, FunCom), because designer Ragnar Tornquist hasn't ruled these ads out, provided they suit the setting. It might be Minority Report all over again. :ph34r:

With RPGs in fantasy or Star Wars settings, it would be hard to have ads that didn't clash with the setting, but a modern setting like Vampire: Bloodlines might have done something like this. I wonder if Obsidian is considering it for PNJ?

I'd find it a total turn-off at first, but I guess like most things I'd get used to it. What do you think?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I am actually not against in game advertising.

I'm not someone that goes "OMGOMGOGOMGz0rs they're just trying to make money and selling out" or some crap like that.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory already did this. In fact, I found the game world to be MORE immersive as a result. I liked the fact that the computers had a little Athlon 64 boot screen and stuff like that. And the neon Axe bodyspray sign that I zipline from is so appropriately placed that I would expect to see one like it on a real building.

The same goes for the music in the game. It was real bands using it to get additional exposure. I liked it (mostly because I liked the song) and it certainly didn't destroy the atmosphere....just added to it IMO. As opposed to being taken out of something when I see Cooky Cola or Sorny Entertainment or something like that.

If the ads were naturally implanted into the game world, I wouldn't mind it. But most often they're too obvious (they're ads after all!) and then they're only annoying and it makes you wonder why you just paid 50$ for a game that's full of commercials.

If ads could be normal street signs in a racing game, and the inclusion of ads would actually lower the price of a game (like ads do to magazines), then I'd be all for it. But not until then.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Guest Fishboot

The chain of command on stuff like this is bad - the first and only call on it should be with the artists, and then the money guys can do the ****roach work behind the scenes. But even then it's going to end up ugly - for example, if you're in some game and you run into a non- real-world product after this behavior reaches saturation, you'll know that the game is going to have something bad to say about it that the ****roaches couldn't sell to a company.

I would like for "real world products" to be a toggle-able option too, but it will never happen. It's another mind space for advertisement to invade and corrode.

It'd be great if the ads cut the price of games. :blink:

With adventures (and some traditional RPGs) part of the reason relatively few are made is that each game sells few units compared to other kinds of games. So again, if money from advertisers were used to make these 'minority' games more financially viable, I could put up with the ads.

In Syndicate Wars the electronic billboards just replaced fake ads with ads for relevant products, like 2000 AD and Ghost in the Shell. For the record I only bought Ghost in Shell because I watched the clips while standing around in the game.

Maybe ads could be good in fantasy games, with a bit of humour.

Demon: "Gee, Conan, I'm pretty tired after fighting you for hours. What say we take a break and have some refreshing carbonated beverage?"

Conan: "Ugh. Okey demonboy, then we smashee smashee."

*Cut to both sitting back to back on rock enjoying a pepsi*

Conan: "...And then I say to him. 'No, you give all YOUR gold'."

Demon: "Ahahahahaha"

*sudden halt*

Conan: "Hey, there no such thing as carboniferater beaver."

*Conan frowns, then dies*

*Text on screen: Drink pepsi.*

*Replaced text: As soon as it exists*

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

No,

Funny advertisements (like 3D GTA's) are good, but if such things are implented into the Gamers world I am afraid that that will loose to boring "Real" commercials.

Also if they put adverts in any game it becomes annoying at all, and most type of games are even absolutely not suited for any gaming. Mostly only FPS actually could do that...

Think how foulish it would be to see commercials in games like:

Space Sims/Flightgames/Action games

Games in medieval (RPG's, some RTS)

Fantasy RPG's

Futuristic shooters

So NO...

Demon: "Gee, Conan, I'm pretty tired after fighting you for hours. What say we take a break and have some refreshing carbonated beverage?"

Conan: "Ugh. Okey demonboy, then we smashee smashee."

*Cut to both sitting back to back on rock enjoying a pepsi*

Conan: "...And then I say to him. 'No, you give all YOUR gold'."

Demon: "Ahahahahaha"

*sudden halt*

Conan: "Hey, there no such thing as carboniferater beaver."

*Conan frowns, then dies*

*Text on screen: Drink pepsi.*

*Replaced text: As soon as it exists*

;):lol::lol:

Since Anarchy Online is advertising TV shows, there's scope for fantasy/sci-fi shows to advertise in RPGs - maybe a cameo appearance by King Kong in PNJ?

Also if they put adverts in any game it becomes annoying at all, and most type of games are even absolutely not suited for any gaming. Mostly only FPS actually could do that...

Think how foulish it would be to see commercials in games like:

Space Sims/Flightgames/Action games

Games in medieval (RPG's, some RTS)

Fantasy RPG's

Futuristic shooters

So NO...

Many of those game types could easily support product placement. In fact, any game set in a modern or futuristic time frame could support it fine. There's nothing saying Pepsi isn't going to be around in 30 years, so there's no reason for a game 30 years in the future to not have this sort of arrangement. In fact, lets say I go down to Time Square New York, I would think it'd be stupid to not have the huge Coca-Cola sign and other stuff like that.

And the playstyle (IE First Person Shooters) has nothing to do with it. It's all about setting.

If it's creative, then I don't have a problem (like a crushed vending machine in Half-Life 2, for example.

Judging by the level of maturity and general lack of imagination and pure idiocy of current advertising, I am not optimistic for any in-game advertising reaching acceptable standards.

I vote No. (Oh, it's not a poll. :p)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

They should put advertisements in the loading screens. And throw in subliminal messages in the battle music.

"Whew.. that was a tough demon. I strangely feel unfresh and need to pick up some Summers Eve."

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.

My Wilkinson Sword +3 versus Unruly Hair will combat you, cacodemon!

:p

But I agree that once it starts the majority of ads will be crappy. C'est la vie.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I would like for "real world products" to be a toggle-able option too, but it will never happen. It's another mind space for advertisement to invade and corrode.

I guess I'm divided here. My initial reaction fell right in line with the above statement. We already get spam mail adverts in leaps and bounds, most public sites also have popup or banner adverts ... and I don't even want to think about advert spyware, which I find myself wondering why said companies/individuals who create it aren't penalised.

There are very few places advertising isn't anymore, I don't think I'd want to see the game worlds infiltrated as well. On the other hand we have the concept of game prices/costs of production being positively effected, which may make such a trade-off worthwhile. However, if it isn't done in a creative and discreet way, we may find ourselves wanting for the days prior to said implementation. Somehow though, I doubt that the consumer/gamer will have much of a say in the matter ... unless as a unified group (or vast majority) either in support or against.

I think many people will speak out against it simply for the sake of speaking out against it.

In a modern setting specifically, I think it works wonders for the immersion and suspension of disbelief.