Free Games

System Shock2 is a good game....it's also the only game I've ever played that truly creeped me out in some places....so much so that I never finished it. It reminded me of watching Alien for the 1st time when I was a pre-teen - that kind of unbearable constant suspense. heh

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm playing that rpg, WinterSun mentioned, Ahriman's Prophecy. Decent enough jrpg, althought the plot so far sucks.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The movies aren't missing, they're packed using |33+ warez methods, IIRC.

So, is there a way to get them to play while you're playing the game or do I have ot watch them separately?

I just downloaded it; the movies are packed and require DivX5+ codex, which (v.6) is a free download from divx.com.

Is System Shock worth playing first? (System Shock 2 looks and sounds awesome!)

Looks like I found the answer to my question ...

some fan opinions

:p

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Ah, TTLG. The worst fanatics and the most eclectic fan-whores together in sheer lunacy. And that linked thread in almost 4 years old.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I'm saying I've spent 4 years reading their fora. You know what they say: "You need to be one to know one." :-

Goddamn, their fora have been there for almost 8 years, during which in-jokes just got more obscurer and the forum monkeys more nastier, idiots more wacko and fanatics more eccentric. :huh:

kirottu said:

Dink was just annoying. Siege, on the other hand was interesting enough. I recommend.

Meta, there's only SW-fanatics and ex-codexians here. Soap and elephant guns work as repellent in most cases. No need to be scared.

kirottu said:

Dink is like NWN. The real strength of the game is the mod scene.

Also check out Spiderweb Software. The games aren't free, but there are free demos for all their old-school style RPGs. They are Shareware, and if you are eventually going to buy a game, you might as well support a good guy like Jeff Vogel.

Vogel is a genius. I believe I have written that before though so let's not go there. :*

My full recommendation. Nether Gate was ultra-awesome. Romans stuck in a celtic faery world has to be one of the best themes ever.

And you get to kill elves, which is always a big plus.

kirottu said:

Yeah, you told it already. Twice, if I remeber right.

kirottu said:

Antagonist: do you know if those mods will work with the free downloaded version? And thanks for posting them with a review.

I don't see any reason why they shouldn't but you will have to try it for yourselves. I'm a proud owner of an original CD. The only change they probably made is to remove the cd check. Is your game fully patched ? If you have a multiplayer option the aswer is yes.

Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome is another game which is not exactly freeware but very recommandable and not very expensive. It features a historic setting in the times of the roman conquest so if you are sick of fairy tales I'd say give it a try. You can download a demo version at the official site:

Teudogar

Have you followed the instructions and made the game mod-ready ?

I had a similar problem. Create a file called user.cfg in the SS2 root directory and add the line safe_texture_manager

That solved my problems with random crashes.

I had a similar problem. Create a file called user.cfg in the SS2 root directory and add the line safe_texture_manager

Well, I managed to get the game running.

Add the mods as per instructions, they are irrelevant to the performance.

The key (for my ATi Mobility Fire GL T2 128MB video card driven system) was to include the

safe_texture_manager

to the end of the

cam.cfg

file, rather than the

user.cfg

file; then it worked seemlessly.

(I must say it is very annoying because there are far too many little chimps; they're taking over the ship!)

It is a great game. I can see the direct lineage to Deus Ex.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well, I managed to get the game running.

Add the mods as per instructions, they are irrelevant to the performance.

The key (for my ATi Mobility Fire GL T2 128MB video card driven system) was to include the

safe_texture_manager

to the end of the

cam.cfg

file, rather than the

user.cfg

file; then it worked seemlessly.

(I must say it is very annoying because there are far too many little chimps; they're taking over the ship!)

It is a great game. I can see the direct lineage to Deus Ex.

Just wait until you meet S.H.O.D.A.N., excellent presentation.

"Join us, glory to the many"

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Anyone hear of Dragon Knight? It's a free pre-made turn/browser based game ala kingdom of loathing that you can download and install on your server.

I just installed & checked it out...a little bland in the reading/item category, but with some modding you could change that somewhat. At least it has no turns-per-day limit (unless you program them in of course...). I always hate that. Now I can click 'explore more' mindlessly all night long on my own server. *laugh*

Edit: Forgot...you can get the actual program here:

http://dragon.se7enet.com/dev.php

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The only thing I dislike about Dragon Knight so far is that often you can go a lot of clicks without anything happening. I think you can change that tho by altering the monster parameter or something.

Anyway...I'll check out the other one...preliminary look is intriguing. Looks more robust.

Edit - well there's that turn per day limit again. Better roleplay environment w/ all the cute little attack messages and such but I think I like the simplicity of DK better. And if I installed the GDragon one I'd have to change the colors. Gah.

Something in-between would be nice. :ermm: