Favourite smell

Walsingham

Plastic because im used to it, i like kitbashing things in friends garage (he lets me borrow it as long as i give him a cut of the profits) to make custom figures and either sell them or keep them, but i mostly sell them, good money to be made around figures Hasbro doesn't make or poor articulation on the already made ones *cough* ep3 clone trooper 12'' *cough*. :blink:

Perhaps "describe" was the word I was looking for.

qualify would do, rather than quantify.

Tar, burned metal(like after you weld or cut metal pipes), the sea, what it used to smell like if I stood on the balcony of the house I grew up in.

Sadly, my sense of smell has degraded significantly since I was in my late teens. I have no idea why but its not good, it feels like watching TV with the volume turned way down so you can only barely make out what you think theyre saying.

I too have lost a lot of my olfactory acuity, ditto for hearing.

Favourite smell? Hmm, depends, if I had to give an answer. Some of the smells I like (in no significant order):

• baking bread,
  • fresh-ground coffee,
  • just-cut lawn,
  • post-thunderstorm air (high bombardment of soothing negative ions),
  • eucalyptus,
  • lavender,
  • vanilla,
  • my partner,
  • two-stroke petrol mixed with sea air (reminds me of many boating trips from my youth) but due to the laws discovered by pavlov, I now associate the poluted air with pleasantness. Interestingly, this doesn't mean I find all vehicular fumes pleasant.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

After a review of the thread - and a prune here and there - the thread is open again. Please do post with the guidelines in mind and I promise no hex/binary closures :thumbsup:

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Ave Caesar.

I was thinking that this thread proves how important smells are to us. They evoke whole landscapes of memory and emotion. This made me wonder if they shouldn't be more regularly included in descriptions during games. Shouldn't be too hard to work into dialogue.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

After a review of the thread - and a prune here and there - the thread is open again. Please do post with the guidelines in mind and I promise no hex/binary closures :)

Yeah so Fio won't have to get his 'big stick'(not being sarcastic) and what is it anyway? Anyway i like the smell of chicken cooking, it smells really good and it makes me hungry. :)

Ave Caesar.

... morituri te salutant

I was thinking that this thread proves how important smells are to us. They evoke whole landscapes of memory and emotion. This made me wonder if they shouldn't be more regularly included in descriptions during games. Shouldn't be too hard to work into dialogue.

I'm all in favour of anything that helps with immersion. It is more of an oversight than anything else; an extra adjectival clause here and there is no burden to the script-writers.

Oh, and I too like the smoke off a burning wood fire.

I suppose there must be an index of attractiveness for odours; certainly I know that the amount of Sulphur compounds in a substance negatively affects the attractiveness. (H2SO4, Hydrogen Suphide

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Suppose you walk into a farm on tattooine. You smell charcoal smoke, stale sweat, and the sour milk sweetness of hydroponics. Helps it come alive.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, I could have chosen somehwere nicer, like the pleasure pits of Coruscant, but none of you skeebs would have recognised the smells. :thumbsup:

-Elwood Blues

That's a mixed metaphor, ain't it? Skeebs is from IW! :thumbsup:

IW? What's that? I thought I made it up, inspired by Scatman John....

Ski bi di bidi do bop do bop do bap.

-Elwood Blues