Best FPS

Coop in Quake 3?

I never cared for Quake 3, because it was an MP only game.

As a result, any mods that would have been made for it would have been completely ignored.

I was to engaged in Half-Life as well to probably really care.

I also didn't care much for Quake. I much preferred Duke Nukem 3D which had a lot of atmosphere and humour, and a bit more coherent and interactive of a game IMO. I never cared much for the Quake games...but hopefully Quake IV will be more up to my liking.

I did play Doom 6 years later MP in our computer lab....but we also played Quake MP which is a lot better.

Although a friend of mine got me playing Duke Nukem Coop with him...and we've just finished Episode 3 :D Just have the new Episode IV, which I actually never played before.

Yeah, I guess my favourite was the Duke, but Quake beat Doom hands-down.

Hmm, it is non-trivial to decide on the best FPS.

Even though it's from 1998, I would say that Half-Life is defintitely up there in the top three. Half-Life 2 is, too, but more for the superlative engine and narrative references back to the original, and Opposing Forces was pretty cool too, until the narrative fell away into a standard level upon level "end-boss" sequence.

Deus Ex would have to be up there in the top three as well, mainly because it has role-play elements on top of the FPS base, and because in no smal part to the extraordinary narrative and multiple endings (and I don't really play war games).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Guest Surlent

For pure multiplayer fun: Unreal Tournament (the first one).

For good gameplay and plot: Deus Ex and Bloodlines.

I believe it was an expanded version of the same engine yes.

I like the fact that it had coop mode....but alas by the time I had played it I had already played games like Half-Life and was pretty much done with my conversion back to PC Gamer. The split screen just didn't work for me anymore :)

Doom series, half-life series, and Wolfenstein series. My favorite for multiplayer was RtCW. My second favorite for multiplayer was probably doom, but I did spend a lot of time with Half-Life.

I like a lot of FPSs, though, so I don't tend to be snide about other choices.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The big thing about GoldenEye it would seem, is the accessibility it had. It pretty much single handedly brought the FPS to the mainstream in consoles (sure, Turok had existed before hand and was a fun game, but the party-factor of Goldeneye was exceptionally popular).

I just liked the old BFG ripoff, the Concussion Rifle. That thing made me want to cry. But they made it horrible in the sequals.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Ahh, I wax nostalgic for the good old day's when there was no such thing as a port.

I meant the days when they didn't try and put a three button game on a 100 button keyboard.

yay soul cubes for everyone!!! By the way kids don't see the movie.

Doom3^

Ummm I feel I'm going to have to add C&C Renegade simply because it added a lot of stuff before it's time and was done horribly because of that. Also I just like the origional (yes what is now refered to as the Tiberian Dawn) C&C.

Is there actually going to be a Doom3 movie now?? I've never heard anything but rumours about it.

Never got the chance to play C&C: renegade, thought it looked pretty good since ive always been a fan of C&C.