Microsoft to Make Games for Nintendo

Just curious, Rare, is that Rare Ltd. ? The same company that used to be a british 8 bit gaming company called "Ultimate" (play the Game) ?

If so, they must have been around for quite a lot of years now. I still remember the disappointment when they left the computer market and went all console somewhere in the eighties :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Just curious, Rare, is that Rare Ltd. ? The same company that used to be a british 8 bit gaming company called "Ultimate" (play the Game) ?

If so, they must have been around for quite a lot of years now. I still remember the disappointment when they left the computer market and went all console somewhere in the eighties :)

Thats them. They made Saber Wulf and stuff like that. But since coming under MS's wing they have been relatively non productive and mediocre.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Hmm I showed the numbers for the PS3 to a friend of mine that knows more about that crap than I do and he called it bullhockey literally seconds after i sent it. We'll have to wait and see though I don't trust anything nintendo says untill I see it on the shelf as they are masters of vaperware.

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

He may call it bull.

Yet third-party developers are buying into it, and say they can release some incredible stuff now that they have hardware to support it. Should I believe your friend or people who actually work in the industry?

Nintendo has just outright said they won't have near the power than the PS3 and 360 will have.

They haven't released specs for the Revolution yet, but Nintendo said it will be about 2-3 times as powerful as the Gamecube.

The PS3 in comparison will be 35-37 times as powerful as the PS2.

Thats more than one of the Sony sites I read which was 32 times more powerful.

I find Nintendo's 2-3 times more powerful far easier to rationalise(I can look at a GC and imagine what 2-3 times more power would equate) than 32-37 times more powerful which I just cant imagine right now.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

He may call it bull.

Yet third-party developers are buying into it, and say they can release some incredible stuff now that they have hardware to support it.  Should I believe your friend or people who actually work in the industry?

Nintendo has just outright said they won't have near the power than the PS3 and 360 will have.

Belive my friend. It's a safer bet than the PS3 pushing 35,000 poly models.

there are ways to get games to run on just about anything.

Image Heavy

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

the light is coming through my skin. We were simulating that - emulating, simulating, kind of a fine line - we were simulating that on the Doc Ock head demo.

Eurogamer: So that's really pushing the Cell rather than the graphics chipset?

Phil Harrison: Yeah. Those are really hardcore maths problems which the Cell is really good at solving.

Eurogamer: It's not just the RSX that drives the graphical quality, then - the Cell can also really be used to improve the graphics.

Phil Harrison: Well, I'll give you a couple of other examples. The terrain-rendering demo that was done by STI, which is the people who developed the Cell, doesn't use the graphics chip at all. That 3D landscape was generated in real-time from two input data sources and a software renderer running on the Cell created the final image. All that it does is output as a bitmap straight to the video hardware - it doesn't even create a single polygon, there's no concept of a polygon in that demo.

source Eurogamer.

478327[/snapback]

I don't, That sounds good but I'm not sure that's 35 times as good as current systems. I can't lose in this position anyway, darn this hardware is more impressive than I thought it could be?

Thats because you cant really conceptualise what 35 times more powerful actually is.

478327[/snapback]

Higher resolutions with fewer jaggies, better models, full AA, better lighting, and the capability for models on the screen all at the same time.

Watch the Killzone 2 trailer, and the Gears of War trailer. You'll see what I'm talking about. The Oblivion trailer is pretty nice as well.

The PS3 can put out two seperate 1080p images if you have two high-end HDTVs. Who needs split screen?

I don't, That sounds good but I'm not sure that's 35 times as good as current systems. I can't lose in this position anyway, darn this hardware is more impressive than I thought it could be?

Thats because you cant really conceptualise what 35 times more powerful actually is.

That's because there are a lot of tricks you can use to make a game look much better than another using the exact same hardware. Do you really need 35 times the power of the PS2 to get sub surface scattering?

Higher resolutions with fewer jaggies, better models, full AA, better lighting, and the capability for models on the screen all at the same time.

Watch the Killzone 2 trailer, and the Gears of War trailer.  You'll see what I'm talking about.  The Oblivion trailer is pretty nice as well.

The PS3 can put out two seperate 1080p images if you have two high-end HDTVs.  Who needs split screen?

Gears of war is a good example with it's normal maps they make a model made up of a couple k look like a 60k model. It was easier in the days when you just count the sprites but now it's harder to say a game won't look good(unless we're running the thing on a voodoo) running on such and such system. How much of it is the sheer power of the hardware how much of it is the nifty engine and how much is the artist?

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

Guest Fishboot
Watch the Killzone 2 trailer, and the Gears of War trailer.  You'll see what I'm talking about.  The Oblivion trailer is pretty nice as well.

Did they ever work out whether those were pre-rendered? I thought the Killzone trailer was obviously pre-rendered and never saw the GW one. Whereas the Oblivion trailer was majority (entirely?) in-game stuff.