Kotor 3: Ideas and Suggestions

I dont see how an RPG could sell in those numbers. Unless your name is Squenix it just dosnt happen. For an offline RPG I've never heard of figures of more than a million five. (the aforementioned aside).

I've never played the game so I couldnt really compare what KOTORII did in a sixth of the time.

Somehow I wish you or someone else had jumped in to say this earlier. Can't blame anyone for not getting involved, but it might have spared me from trolling by metadigital and flaming by XboxSithLord... -_-

Somehow I wish you or someone else had jumped in to say this earlier. Can't blame anyone for not getting involved, but it might have spared me from trolling by metadigital and flaming by XboxSithLord...  -_-

Seems like common sense to me. RPG players tend to have a blinkered view of just how well these things do in comparison to other games.

Anyway I think this thread is simply a way to keep the forum tidy rather than anything productive. A much better idea would be to pick a topic and then have people address that rather than random ramblings about all things KOTORIII.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

not half as tedious as I find people with no grasp on reality. -_-"

That is, once again, a perfect example of your own subjective opinion. You really like the sound of your own voice, don't you?

DS or not you cant kill any of the NPCs. Dont know why you brought it up again you cant do it until the story allows you to do it. That is not freedom and thats nothing like Morrowind.

Ah, but, aside from two points in the story, there is no need of any of the NPCs, aside from Bastila (who disapears half-way). So they could qwuite easily be killed in the fiest act.

Well for one thing you would realise what they have done. For another educating youself is never a bad thing.

I could care about a couple of third-rate actors! How much do you really think they get paid for voice work? I'll tell you, it is several orders of magnitude less than any other element, including writing.

Well those names crop up constantly so they must be doing something right.

Once again you display a charming na

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I dont see how an RPG could sell in those numbers. Unless your name is Squenix it just dosnt happen. For an offline RPG I've never heard of figures of more than a million five. (the aforementioned aside).

I've never played the game so I couldnt really compare what KOTORII did in a sixth of the time.

Somehow I wish you or someone else had jumped in to say this earlier. Can't blame anyone for not getting involved, but it might have spared me from trolling by metadigital and flaming by XboxSithLord... :thumbsup:

You were guilty of hysterical over-reaction, including screaming at me for disagreeing with you, and pointing out you were apologising for the lack of quality writing, in the same way as ShadowPaladin is, "because it can't be done", "because it hasn't been done".

I would have continued to argue the point with you, had you not become histrionic.

You are quite welcome to make any points that have not already been made (for the sake of brevity and sanity), though I have been arguing the same points for over three pages now. -_-

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I tell you what, when you stump up venture capital, then you can tell me what's what, rather than trying to lord it over me, just because you "think it is unfeasible".

It's called agreeing to disagree. I certainly think you are wrong, and you will never convince me with the arguments you have posted so far, so I suggest you let me post my opinion and I'll let you post yours.

Dosnt work that way. I'm saying because I'm not willing to put my money on the line I have no right to expect others to do it. You on the other hand think they should take a risk for your benifit. But I dont see you stumping up any cash. I'm not talking about risking my cash on a game. I'm never going to get worked up over

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

But that was not my point. It's still another generic FPS, whose only distinctive trait is that it bears the name "Half-Life". No advancements in gameplay conception whatsoever, no advancements in plot/character interaction, no advancements.

Now the question is, they didn't want to, or they couldn't do better?

I guess that is not something we will determine on this board, at this time. Although I would point out there were improvements in character sketching and interaction; the original game had no NPC co-op play, for example, and the sequel definitely had very good AI.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I played the X-Box version of the game. I borrowed it from a friend and the damn thing wouldn't even load up. I cleaned the discs and still nothing. All my other games work on my X-Box and his discs works on his though he got a game ending bug at Nar Shadaa. Together we took the disc and smashed it to bits with a hammer.

Harvey

I played the X-Box version of the game.  I borrowed it from a friend and the damn thing wouldn't even load up.  I cleaned the discs and still nothing.  All my other games work on my X-Box and his discs works on his though he got a game ending bug at Nar Shadaa.  Together we took the disc and smashed it to bits with a hammer.

Well personally I would have just returned the disk, but I hope you had fun smashing it up.

What is the game ending bug in Nar Shada? I'm not familiar with one.

478327[/snapback]

Dosnt work that way. I'm saying because I'm not willing to put my money on the line I have no right to expect others to do it. You on the other hand think they should take a risk for your benifit. But I dont see you stumping up any cash.

With your blinkered view of reality I'm really not suprised. But your welcome to your opinion however unrealistic it is. However you not welcome to criticise design and think you can do better until I see you come up with some cash -_-

I'm sorry, who made you the moderator of this thread?

Why do I have to become a developer before I can make a comment on the development process? I am not imposing my views on anyone, nor am I manhandling a developer to adopt my views. And I am defintiely not settling for some boring average performance, you really should quit your delusions of adequacy.

Also, as a matter of fact, I have about a quarter of a century's experience in the development life cycle, so I think I am fairly well placed to make suggestions. What I do know for sure is that the sort of censorship you are practising is totally contrary to good development.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You were guilty of hysterical over-reaction, including screaming at me for disagreeing with you, and pointing out you were apologising for the lack of quality writing, in the same way as ShadowPaladin is, "because it can't be done", "because it hasn't been done".

Never screamed at you or anyone else, though I did call for a ruling by the moderator. Besides, you seem to be in the minority, as both ShadowPaladin and I seem to be equally "defeatist" while nobody has voiced support for your side. Doesn't make you wrong, of course, but it might prompt you to at least reconsider your position unless you're completely biased and unwilling to reexamine your postulate. I try never to enter a discussion without first accepting that I might be wrong, though others will have to convince me. You don't seem to allow for that possibility.

I would have continued to argue the point with you, had you not become histrionic.

You'll excuse, but I don't like having words put in my mouth and being quoted for things I didn't say. Judging from your comments to ShadowPaladin, you don't seem to either (not that I think he did, but still...), so you can scarcely fault me for it unless you're a hypocrit. Besides, you turned the discussion into being about me instead of being about the topic when you accused me of being an apologist and other things. That's not arguing the point.

You are quite welcome to make any points that have not already been made (for the sake of brevity and sanity), though I have been arguing the same points for over three pages now.  -_-

Which should tell you something...

Why do I have to become a developer before I can make a comment on the development process? I am not imposing my views on anyone, nor am I manhandling a developer to adopt my views. And I am defintiely not settling for some boring average performance, you really should quit your delusions of adequacy.

Also, as a matter of fact, I have about a quarter of a century's experience in the development life cycle, so I think I am fairly well placed to make suggestions. What I do know for sure is that the sort of censorship you are practising is totally contrary to good development.

As a matter of fact you are. Your settling for it all the time despite your protests. Look at it this way

478327[/snapback]

Well, to get back on topic and get a word in between Metadigital and ShadowPaladin tearing each other apart...

As for party members, if they wanted to include more k1 party members (besides the droids) I'm thinking they could include Bastila. I think it'd be a feasible idea because she was an important character in K1, and regardless of her alignment she still is looking for Revan.

The PC's choices on Revan's alignment would affect her alignment, and she could be one to give details of Revan's character and what he/she did between the events of K1 and K2. She could also have some kind of souped-up form of Battle Meditation as a force power, and a unique, upgradeable lightsaber. She might even be a romance interest for the male PC, depending on your choices on Revan's gender.

I'm thinking they could include Mission as well. She too, could be looking for Revan and have different motives for joining you. If Revan was LS she could be looking for her old friend out of concern, or if Revan was DS she would be looking for revenge. If they wanted to take it further they could give you the option to turn her into a Jedi. She'd be around twenty in K3 (or older depending on when it starts), so she might be good for a romance.

It might not work out, especially since these two were used in K1, but hey.

As for party members, if they wanted to include more k1 party members (besides the droids) I'm thinking they could include Bastila.  I think it'd be a feasible idea because she was an important character in K1, and regardless of her alignment she still is looking for Revan.

Well, I actually want to see all our NPCs during the game, though they shouldn't all be NPCs. I'd like to have some of them be "temporary" NPCs in that they join the party when you're in a particular planet, but won't follow you further - once you reach the loading ramp to the Ebon Hawk (or whichever means of transportation...) the NPC just goes, "Sorry, but I guess it's time for me to get back to my work here - have a nice flight". That way you can have lots of NPCs during the game without cluttering up the group.

I also want to see Carth and Canderous in the game, but probably not as NPCs at any point - there's just no need to, and cameo appearances can serve just fine.

Bastila should definitely be a permanent NPC, though - she is instrumental to finding Revan.

Heck, I'd even want to see Jolee as well as Mission and Zaalbar again. And all of the Exile's companions should make cameo appearances as well (if LS).

Well, to get back on topic and get a word in between Metadigital and ShadowPaladin tearing each other apart...

As for party members, if they wanted to include more k1 party members (besides the droids) I'm thinking they could include Bastila.  I think it'd be a feasible idea because she was an important character in K1, and regardless of her alignment she still is looking for Revan.

The PC's choices on Revan's alignment would affect her alignment, and she could be one to give details of Revan's character and what he/she did between the events of K1 and K2.  She could also have some kind of souped-up form of Battle Meditation as a force power, and a unique, upgradeable lightsaber.  She might even be a romance interest for the male PC, depending on your choices on Revan's gender. 

I'm thinking they could include Mission as well.  She too, could be looking for Revan and have different motives for joining you.  If Revan was LS she could be looking for her old friend out of concern, or if Revan was DS she would be looking for revenge.  If they wanted to take it further they could give you the option to turn her into a Jedi.  She'd be around twenty in K3 (or older depending on when it starts), so she might be good for a romance.

It might not work out, especially since these two were used in K1, but hey.

The biggest obstacle for Revan and the Exile as NPCs is their lack of an identity.

Either you piss people off by assigning an alignment and gender , or you write 4 versions of each character (which is 8 times the work and much less solid).

Chris A. did write a peice about not liking to write other peoples characters so I'm not really expecting any major KOTORI appearences. I suppose it's possible they could borrow the original writer though.

478327[/snapback]

Never screamed at you or anyone else, though I did call for a ruling by the moderator. Besides, you seem to be in the minority, as both ShadowPaladin and I seem to be equally "defeatist" while nobody has voiced support for your side. Doesn't make you wrong, of course, but it might prompt you to at least reconsider your position unless you're completely biased and unwilling to reexamine your postulate. I try never to enter a discussion without first accepting that I might be wrong, though others will have to convince me. You don't seem to allow for that possibility.

Psst: You can report a post to the moderator in a number of ways, including the button in the bottom left. All other protestations of the sort you were making demonstrate a tendency to an anxiety disorder or a distraction from your, obviously, inadequate arguments. ;)

You'll excuse [me], but I don't like having words put in my mouth and being quoted for things I didn't say. Judging from your comments to ShadowPaladin, you don't seem to either (not that I think he did, but still...), so you can scarcely fault me for it unless you're a hypocrit[e]. Besides, you turned the discussion into being about me instead of being about the topic when you accused me of being an apologist and other things. That's not arguing the point.

No, I said you were acting like an apologist, and I even gave you a hyperlink to dictionary.com to allow you the merest click to check what it meant. You took it personally, which demonstrates a lack of maturity on your part, not a lack of respect on my part.

You are quite welcome to make any points that have not already been made (for the sake of brevity and sanity), though I have been arguing the same points for over three pages now.  :rolleyes:

Which should tell you something...

Yes, that I am arguing with obdurate people who are too worried about their egos than actually making suggestions.

:)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yes, that I am arguing with obdurate people who are too worried about their egos than actually making suggestions.

:rolleyes:

How is a healthy grasp of reality worrying about your ego?

In my view a suggestion that isnt grounded in reality isnt worth anything beyond setting up unreasonble expectations.

478327[/snapback]

I would let you in on a little secret, though. Producing quality products is actually a way to define a market segment; it's called "differentiating with respect to quality". E.g., Bently make a car that costs

478327[/snapback]

The biggest obstacle for Revan and the Exile as NPCs is their lack of an identity.

Either you piss people off by assigning an alignment and gender , or you write 4 versions of each character (which is 8 times the work and much less solid).

Chris A. did write a peice about not liking to write other peoples characters so I'm not really expecting any major KOTORI appearences. I suppose it's possible they could borrow the original writer though.

You are catastrophizing, again. (Are you sure you don't have an anxiety disease?)

It is not eight times as much work. It involves writing a central biography, then adding customisations according to gender and alignment. Outside, this might be twice the effort, but I would argue otherwise.

And once you have the template for an NPC with variable gender and alignment acting on a given biography, you have what is known as a re-useable mechanism, which saves programming later. This is also known as Object Oriented Design. :rolleyes:"

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Psst: You can report a post to the moderator in a number of ways, including the button in the bottom left.  All other protestations of the sort you were making demonstrate a tendency to an anxiety disorder or a distraction from your, obviously, inadequate arguments. :)

Don't expect me to lose any sleep over it ;)

No, I said you were acting like an apologist, and I even gave you a hyperlink to dictionary.com to allow you the merest click to check what it meant. You took it personally, which demonstrates a lack of maturity on your part, not a lack of respect on my part.

While your maturity is demonstrated by enforcing a "my way or the high way" approach towards anyone else - if they don't capitulate and submit to your opinion 1000%, then they are the enemy who must naturally embrace the opposite of whatever you think and can therefore be attacked with impunity. The fact that you have repeated this approach toward ShadowPaladin when he dared to disagree with you speaks volumes :rolleyes:

:)

Yes, life is so hard and unfair on you... [sound in the background of the world's smallest violin playing just for metadigital...]