Have copious amount of cash, need gaymz!!

"Call us fussy, but we prefer our RPGs to involve some role-playing and our comedies to contain, well, comeddy." PC Format Issue 176, July 2005, p90.

Have you even played the game?

Personally I don't give a crap about PC Format,I have friends who enjoyed the damn thing and I'd rather trust them then a magasine any time.

I cant think of an online store I shop at that DOESNT list games by genre :huh: problem is that you never know the stinkers from the hits.

And I didnt like Deus Ex very much.

I know several, it's fine if you know what you want ,but a pain otherwise.

I'd look over the lists and then form a short list and ask for opinions on those, its likely to prove more productive.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I cant think of an online store I shop at that DOESNT list games by genre :huh: problem is that you never know the stinkers from the hits.

And I didnt like Deus Ex very much.

:*

"I suggest you try it again ... Stretch out with your feelings!"

Obi-Wan Kenobi expresses his approval of Ion Storm's Deus Ex.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Personally I don't give a crap about PC Format,I have friends who enjoyed the damn thing and I'd rather trust them then a magasine any time.

It's fun. In places its funny and in others the jokes miss the mark, but humours always a subjective thing anyway. It has a very olde worlde feel. The accents are played for laughs but at the same time they actually fit the setting. It has some classic RPG injokes, which you may or may not get depending on what you have played. It's almost certainly configured for a Joypad since everyone I asked said the PC controls were awful.

It's got some pretty neat puzzles too, the companions are varied as as the approaches to character growth (although you will always be the bard obviously).

As a single player game id place it above the DA series based on a single playthrough and above CoN. Unlike most games of this type you get a choice of endings too.

Song of the chosen (in my sig) is brilliant for anyone fed up of the chosen one plots.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I couldnt play Deus Ex again even if I wanted to. I tried to give it to a friend but he didnt want it so I just left it in my room when I moved out.

The shooting part was so badly programmed that you had to choose a sneakier approach which was mostly frustrating. I know the shooting was semi-skillbased but it was very badly done, even with maxed out skills it still felt like a C-class FPS where you click the mouse 5 times but only 4 shots are fired.

I dont like the Thief series either.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Deus Ex was truley classic.

Infact I'm going to play through it again.

Thanks Metadigital :huh:

"I tried the most potent Noise Amplification spell once upon a time. Mavellous spell. I could hear the birds speaking to one another in trees over the horizon, I could hear the rustlings as the clouds rubbed against each other in the sky. I could hear the sound a rainbow makes as it arches it's back over the world. Then a dog barked behind me and I burst my left eardrum."

"Call us fussy, but we prefer our RPGs to involve some role-playing and our comedies to contain, well, comeddy." PC Format Issue 176, July 2005, p90.

:*

The whole point of reading a review of a game is to see whether it is worth buying it to play. I'm hardly going to buy a game rated 45%, just on the off-chance the reviewer was on an off-day, or had a grudge against Ubisoft. (Then again, there is a free demo on the DVD that came with the magazine, so I would assume that would be a pretty stupid thing to do.) :huh:

Anyway, as it's a short review, I've included it here, below.

First things first: this Bard's Tale has nothing to do with the classic game of 1987. If that game means anything to you, as it does to so many, this horrible bastardisation of the name will only upset you. But then, even if you couldn't care less about the original Bard's Tale, this catastrophe of a so-called role-playing game will only upset you. Which is quite a problem for a game that purports to be a comedy.

Walking a line between puerile and utterly pathetic, its attempt to satirise the RPG genre falls so flat you could use it as a rug. You're playing the role of a rather unpleasant bard who's driven by greed and lust. The guy takes stuf from chests in people's houses and loots corpses, just like they do in RPGs.

The trouble is, there's only so far you can go with mocking the stalwarts of a genre when your game relies more heavily on these tired conceits than do those it aims to parody.

Stripped Down

The game strips RPG down to the bare minimum (there's no inventory, collected items are immediately converted to coins, character design is a strip of basic stats), so there wouldn't be any game at all without the subjects of its spoof. Factor in the plot's "knowing" use of chosen ones and princesses in towers and it's clear The Bard's Tale has confused irony with actually being rubbish.

Combat seems relatively straightforward -- having to choose which minion, or combination of minions, to summon does at least offer an element of tactics. However, just a couple more chapters in, this last chance falls apart.

There isn't a difficulty curve, it's a difficulty brick wall. Being attacked by four of the larger wolves usually means death. So why does the game attack you with 14 of them? And why the painful, tedious stretches of repeated misery, such as taking out 18 spearthrowers to opena a load of gates. The whole game just simply isn't any fun, at any point.

It's an insult to the name. It's an insult to RPG (a genre that deserves a decent lampoon). But most of all, it's an insult to comedy.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Don't get the new Bard's Tale just released on PC. PC Format Review: "A victim of its own sneers, this is the world's first self-paodying game." 45% (Get this if you like: Pyst, Bored of the Rings, National Lampoon's Chess Maniac 5 Billion and 1.)

You are basing your opinion on only one review!

And it's quite a strong one.

I'd sugest playing the latest demo at least...

And BTW it got a 7 at Jolt...

I couldnt play Deus Ex again even if I wanted to. I tried to give it to a friend but he didnt want it so I just left it in my room when I moved out.

The shooting part was so badly programmed that you had to choose a sneakier approach which was mostly frustrating. I know the shooting was semi-skillbased but it was very badly done, even with maxed out skills it still felt like a C-class FPS where you click the mouse 5 times but only 4 shots are fired.

I dont like the Thief series either.

You should have gone for the Low Tech Weapons skill, and used the Dragonsword! Add in the Combat strength augmentation, level four, and you're a lethal ninja!

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You should have gone for the Low Tech Weapons skill, and used the Dragonsword!

I forgot how good this game is.

Just started a new game and I'm already considering how I will play through.

Is there any way of not killing Anna Navarre (SP?)

"I tried the most potent Noise Amplification spell once upon a time. Mavellous spell. I could hear the birds speaking to one another in trees over the horizon, I could hear the rustlings as the clouds rubbed against each other in the sky. I could hear the sound a rainbow makes as it arches it's back over the world. Then a dog barked behind me and I burst my left eardrum."

I forgot how good this game is.

Just started a new game and I'm already considering how I will play through.

Is there any way of not killing Anna Navarre (SP?)

Denton's databank

You are basing your opinion on only one review!

And it's quite a strong one.

I'd sugest playing the latest demo at least...

And BTW it got a 7 at Jolt...

Half-hearted humour, half-arsed RPG.

What a load of arse. No, that's not a particularly clever summary. It's certainly not insightful. It is in every way, the perfect way to sum up The Bard's Tale -- a would-be ribald commedy RPG that fails miserably at both telling jokes and hacking up monsters. It brings to mind that kid who sat on the back row in biology, flicking bits of frog down girls' blouses and sneering at the world. Experienced RPG designers, a genre ripe for ribbing and a lead character played by Cary Elwes of Princess Bride fame. There's no excuse for being this disapointing.

The original Bard's Tale came out in 1985, when PCs were dull and the height of humour was creating project management flowcharts about farting. We've seen millions of RPGs since then, and at lest a few games that tried to spike a hole through all the stuffiness -- both intelligently, such as Planescape Torment's rewriting of clich

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You've played Deus Ex, haven't you? :huh:

and what about its spiritual predecessor, System Shock 2?

And the game that started it all: Neuromancer.

*wistfull look* I remember selling my liver to buy an hardware mod for my character ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I was making a Keanu Reeves joke.

I am well aware of Neuromancer, though I have never read it as I dislike cyberpunk. (Reminds me of an ex.) No need to link me to an explanation. :D

edit: Damn it ShadowPaladin!

Edited by Nartwak