Time Travel Possible?

Archmonarch

Time is nothing but the term we use to measure change. Time is change.

Saying that we'll be able to go back in time is the same thing as saying we will be able to undo all the changes that have happened over a certain measurement. Does that mean that every change that has occured every in the universe will be reversed?

I'm not saying that time travel is impossible. After all, we're constantly reassessing what is or is not impossible. Nevertheless, we don't seem to have a firm grasp of time in the first place.

EDIT: BTW, you might want to look into the works of Democritus. He was quite a bit before his time.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The test Archmonarch is referring to is called a dual-slit refraction test, and there has never been a good explanation for the results you describe.

The long and short of it is, that actions in the future seemingly shaped results in the past. Some suggest this is the first good piece of evidence for chaos theory.

The test Archmonarch is referring to is called a dual-slit refraction test, and there has never been a good explanation for the results you describe.

The long and short of it is, that actions in the future seemingly shaped results in the past.  Some suggest this is the first good piece of evidence for chaos theory.

Ah, the mysterious tachyons show their magical effects to us unworthy ephemerals, trapped in the confines of our space-time continuum.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

... Does that mean that every change that has occured every in the universe will be reversed?

EDIT:  BTW, you might want to look into the works of Democritus.  He was quite a bit before his time.

No, it means in only one of the infinite universes, the possibility of a backward time traveller has manifested.

Thanks, I'll look Democritus up (he's from Thrace, the ancient land that bore Byzantium and Spartacus!). Vernor VingeVernor Vinge wrote a couple of interesting novels on a plausible time travel device. (Only forwards: the Peace War and Marooned in Real Time.) Very interesting readng, I highly recommend it.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

According to a new article on the BBC website,  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4097258.stm, time travel may be possible under a new model proposed by US and Austrian scientists. Based on quantum mechanics, this theory eliminates the Grandfather Paradox by introducing a feedback loop whereby traveling to the past would only  complement the present. In other words, you cant change history at any level by going into the past. Some force would prevent your actions.

Of course, they fail to mention forward time travel in this brief article. I wonder if the same rules would apply.

According to a noted physist researcher a dr. hiku (sp?) I heard during a radio interview. he spoke in depth on this topic.

In a nutshell going forward in time according to therodical research and some experiments done thus far much easier and he beleive will be possible within our lifetime.

Going back in time OTOH is a entire different ballgame. The amount of energy needs to be created to achive that is beyond anything we can acheive currently.

So that basically means sure we can go visit your great-great-great grand kids at some point in the future but you'll prob never get back.

Also as mentioned above, if we did manage to send someone back in time s/he would create a new, deveating timeline that branches off our own at the point that effected history. Thus saving Lincon from Booth wouldnt have any effect on us in this timeline.

I am surprised BBC did this article so late in the game, these theories have been around for several years and even in a few books on the topic of quantum physics. I guess these theories are just now trickling down to the mass media/public.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

The biggest issue I have with this BBC article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4097258.stm) is the premise that quantum physics is a tool that can be used to explain the macro universe. This is like trying to explain why quarks and gluons bind together to make protons and neutrons using gravity (instead of weak and strong nuclear forces).

I have no problem with bringing such concepts to the masses, but I dispair at the dumbing down of science because of some fear that our society is really profanum vulgus.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT