Frank Kowalkowski Interview

Rhomal

A exclusive NWN 2 News interview with lead programmer Frank Kowalkowski is now posted in the NWN 2 articles section. We talk about his past industry work and his thoughts on the current industry dynamic. As well as a little about NWN 2 since thats why you peeps visit this site.

Here is a snip:

Did you go to school specifically for game development? How did you get into the field?

I went to school to be a writer, then switched to physics before I

settled on computer science as a degree field. I wound up in computer

games after playing a lot of them, deciding I wanted to do this and

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Not absolutely the most interesting interview, but I share his perception that the game industry needs to re-identify itself. Other than that, I'm still waiting for more infos and f00tage...

But I fear NWN2, DA, Star Citadel, JE2, BG3 and Kotor 3 will unexpectedly be officially announced at the same day, so that my brain is gonna dripping out of my nose due to information overloading. :lol:

Thanks Rhomal.

I think once the screenshots and videos start heading out to the world, the community will pick up even more.

I think I

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Frank Kowalkowski (Lead Programmer) interview quote:

What is your all time favorite CRPG and why?

Planescape: Torment. It was the first CRPG I ever played that left me feeling like I

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Depending on how they're creating the game, it might be a while before we see some actual in-game screenshots. But sometimes they at least show sketches and other works of art, just to show off the style they're going for in a game. Why not show some of those, Obsidian?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Considering there is about a year left in a 2 year dev cycle; you'd think they'd be ready with the screenshots. I wouldn't be surprised if Atari is holding the reelase of them off until their 2 other D&D games come out later this year...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Take that "much" away, and you get the answer. :p

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Gahhhh.

I'm just going to pretend he never said that.

Why? :blink:

One of the major complaints about NWN was the SP campaign. If they're planning on making that one of NWN2's strengths, I'm not seeing what the problem is.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Gahhhh.

I'm just going to pretend he never said that.

Why? :blink:

One of the major complaints about NWN was the SP campaign. If they're planning on making that one of NWN2's strengths, I'm not seeing what the problem is.

Well, it's not clear from the abstract whether the differences between the NwN2 SP campaign and the NwN OC "won

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I expect the new OC to be about as good as the OC was story wise; but it should fix the same things that SOU and HOTU fixed or addressed. More use of non combat non dialogue skills, no ph@t lewt found on ground, and a more openw orld that won't be as narrowly defined by 'chapters'. The world map, and horses shall be cool additions. I still prefer 3.0 rules to 3.5 rules; but meh; I cna overlook that as 3.5 isn't completely horrible; but ti sure was no improvement...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That was my bolding. :lol:

I see. My mistake.

Not at all, I perhaps might have been a little less oblique with my emoticons and a little more direct with my question.

Or the developer might have been a little less ambiguous when he was being interviewed, or the interviewer might have been a little sharper and clarified the point.

As long as they don't just rehash the same storyline again, and the engine doesn't fall about our ears, I'll be satisfied.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT