What happens when the body dies?

WITHTEETH

What happens to our concious when our body dies? I beleive we are all connected sub atomically.

Do you think we ALL share the SAME consciousness? that we all live, on and on and on, as one, even in death?

Is this the positive way to look at it?

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I think there's some other plane of existence where the spirit travels upon death of the human body, I'm not thinking heaven or hell here, but probably more like what you're talking about White.

I most definitely don't believe in rebirth, however.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Well i beleive we are all connected, and we travel in and out of our own universe at the speed of light. atleast thats the best science has right now, which is flimsy, but i trust their rationalizing more then any other form if empiricism. what would be their explination of what happens to conciousness after the body dies? it would seem that the concious would fade disapear with it since thoughts are particles too. i heard in the future we would be liekly to download our minds into a computer, how cool! :-

Myspace Website!

My rig

I'm religious, so I believe we go to heaven or hell. If you go to heaven, I think that you are allowed to have the choice to either stay, or go back.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

I believe that consciousness ends with death. We live on only in the memories of the people we have met. It would be nice to think that there's some dimension or level in which consciousness continues, but it doesn't really seem likely.

It might be possible to upload/download the consciousness to computers, but not in my lifetime. Would you like to live forever in virtual reality?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

What do you think got the ball rolling. i mean why is the universe here, not a reaon but how. what got everyting started, i know that there might be a creator, but that beigns to be paradox, because where did the creator come from? so what got the ball rolling?

Myspace Website!

My rig

sometimes im feeling religious and sometimes im not...

at the times when im feeling anti religious i believe that death is like entering a dreamless sleep where you are just nothingness (cant find a better word to explain it)

when im feeling religious i dont really believe in heaven or hell.....i mean if heaven is a place where your always happy then how can you be happy without your loved ones there with you ?

I just couldn't imagine everything just ending and going to into nothingness. I can't even comprehend what that would be like.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

I just couldn't imagine everything just ending and going to into nothingness. I can't even comprehend what that would be like.

You and the rest of mankind. That's probably why so many things have been made up about this topic. I don't care much about this, I'll find out eventually anyway.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

You and the rest of mankind. That's probably why so many things have been made up about this topic. I don't care much about this, I'll find out eventually anyway.

:D

--John Stewart Mill--

--Black Hawk Down--

I'm religious, so I believe we go to heaven or hell. If you go to heaven, I think that you are allowed to have the choice to either stay, or go back.

We choose to come back or stay? That makes no sense (and has no correlation with any religious teaching I'm aware of, so I'm wondering what bizarre religion you think you are :thumbsup:" ) If heaven is so great, why would anyone come back to this dump? So they might accidentally chose the wrong life and go to hell next time?

And how can an all-powerful, all-knowing and all-loving God permit some people to have everlasting torture? God made them, God knew what they would be, how they would chose, and yet still, with all God's unlimited power, knowledge and merciful goodness, there they are, right now, suffereing the torments of the damned. I'll pass on that god, thanks.

Remember what it was like before you were born? It'll be just like that.

Bloody noisy and smelt of weird things. Oh, wait -- you mean before conception, not birth! That was okay, I guess. Not much happpening. I guess some might call it boring. I thought it was nice and serene, no chores to do, no ladders to climb or slides to fall down. Just a pleasant nothing, like warm zephyr on a balmy day.

I remember reading somewhere that some scientists had weighed a body just prior and post mortem, and there was a difference in weight ... the soul has a physical manifestation! (I wonder what the mass of energy is? Like the elctro-chemical energy in the brain.)

Do you know the brain is 60% fat?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

What do you think got the ball rolling. i mean why is the universe here, not a reaon but how. what got everyting started, i know that there might be a creator, but that beigns to be  paradox, because where did the creator come from? so what got the ball rolling?

Would it be kinda like 'We were created, but only in order to sustain the creator's life, in believing in that creator. We keep him/her alive by believing in him/her.

There is a reason for existance, as is there a reason for non-existance.

Think of life as a mirror. It moves towards the mirror from birth to the center of you life, and then continues in reflection to the end...death.

It would be nice to have something after life...but I'm afraid there isn't. There is only one way...live a good and long life and experience the end when you die of old age.

Ok, never mind the incoherent rambling, I'm rather tired :D

We shall see. As for what I believe. I believe we go to either Heaven or Hell. Simple as that.

What about babies before they are "saved" by baptism? Do they get a free ride, or do they go to limbo (next to hell, take a left before the last turnoff), like the goood Roman Catholics believe?

There is a theory that the universe goes from Big Bang to Big Crunch and keeps cycling (over 50 billion years or so, I would guess, for a cycle). Either this, or it has only happened this once, and there is not enough matter to bring the universe back to a Big Crunch, so it will eventually lose all energy through eventual critical entropy, where all energy will be so degraded as to be a fuzz, and matter so equidistant as to not exert any net gravitational force.

Asimov wrote (at least) two interesting short stories on the meaning of life (quoting from memory, so may not be completely accurate; I have paraphrased callously, but the gist is still intact):

1. Death of a Man

A man close to death thinks back over his life. He is at peace and takes no ill with him as he dies. After a time, he becomes aware that he is still thinking. He becomes aware of another presence. "Are you God?"

"Such notions are not for here."

"Where am I?"

"You are here, with me."

"Where was I, before?"

"You were not here."

"I see," said the man, not really sure what to think, "Why am I here?"

"That is a very good question."

"Ok, why are you here?"

"I do not know."

"Ah," said the man, "that's why I'm here!"

"Exactly.".

2. How Do You Reverse Entropy?

This involved a futuristic humankind wrestling with the ultimate question; eventually they create a computer to help (we'll call it Deep Thought in memory of Douglas Adams, although Asimov wrote this short story in the Fifties). Deep Thought was placed in hyperspace, outside the normal matter boundaries of the universe and set about thinking. Many, many years passed, into eons and eons. Human civilization rose and fell many times, until it disapeared completely. Eventually the universe sustained heat death. Still, Deep Thought contemplated. Eons passed, until, finally, Deep Thought spoke:

"Let there be light ..."

:thumbsup:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

We choose to come back or stay? That makes no sense (and has no correlation with any religious teaching I'm aware of, so I'm wondering what bizarre religion you think you are :lol:" ) If heaven is so great, why would anyone come back to this dump? So they might accidentally chose the wrong life and go to hell next time?

And how can an all-powerful, all-knowing and all-loving God permit some people to have everlasting torture? God made them, God knew what they would be, how they would chose, and yet still, with all God's unlimited power, knowledge and merciful goodness, there they are, right now, suffereing the torments of the damned. I'll pass on that god, thanks.

Remember what it was like before you were born? It'll be just like that.

Bloody noisy and smelt of weird things. Oh, wait -- you mean before conception, not birth! That was okay, I guess. Not much happpening. I guess some might call it boring. I thought it was nice and serene, no chores to do, no ladders to climb or slides to fall down. Just a pleasant nothing, like warm zephyr on a balmy day.

I remember reading somewhere that some scientists had weighed a body just prior and post mortem, and there was a difference in weight ... the soul has a physical manifestation! (I wonder what the mass of energy is? Like the elctro-chemical energy in the brain.)

Do you know the brain is 60% fat?

I don't consider myself part of any religion. I used to be Christian, but now I am just a man that believes in God. I'm part of my own religion I guess. And why not come back here? Perhaps some choose to come back because they want to work on weaknesses that they have. So they set up a life that will challenge them in those areas. That's just a little idea that I came up with. You don't like it, fine. And why do you think that the world is a dump? You must have a bleak outlook to think that there is no beauty in this world.

To answer your question on hell, God placed us on the Earth as a gift, so we could have a chance to experience something great. By placing us here, we live life at our own discretion. That is the freedom he gave us. Perhaps this is to weed out the faithful from the unfaithful; to see whether we are good or evil. Some make bad choices (murder, rape, etc), and as a punishment they are damned. Those who go to hell are responsible for it. It was their choice.

--John Stewart Mill--

--Black Hawk Down--

I don't consider myself part of any religion. I used to be Christian, but now I am just a man that believes in God. I'm part of my own religion I guess. And why not come back here? Perhaps some choose to come back because they want to work on weaknesses that they have. So they set up a life that will challenge them in those areas. That's just a little idea that I came up with. You don't like it, fine. And why do you think that the world is a dump? You must have a bleak outlook to think that there is no beauty in this world.

I don't think the world is a dump, it was a comparison between "heaven" and here; but if it's no worse than heaven, then why go there?

To answer your question on hell, God placed us on the Earth as a gift, so we could have a chance to experience something great. By placing us here, we live life at our own discretion. That is the freedom he gave us. Perhaps this is to weed out the faithful from the unfaithful; to see whether we are good or evil. Some make bad choices (murder, rape, etc), and as a punishment they are damned. Those who go to hell are responsible for it. It was their choice.

Why does god need an army of faithful people? And why decide who gets sent to hell before they are born? How is that free choice? God knows all! Even the future, doesn't God? So God is deliberately damning people who have no chance. Not fair. Not merciful. Not good. Not a god I like. :lol:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I don't think the world is a dump, it was a comparison between "heaven" and here; but if it's no worse than heaven, then why go there?

Why does god need an army of faithful people? And why decide who gets sent to hell before they are born? How is that free choice? God knows all! Even the future, doesn't God? So God is deliberately damning people who have no chance. Not fair. Not merciful. Not good. Not a god I like. :lol:

Hell if I know. Seriously. I don't know what God is thinking, otherwise I would be an all knowing person. But perhaps by sending the bad ones, it gives them a chance to change their ways. We all have control of whether or not we want to be good or evil. We have control over our actions. Maybe God sends the bad ones in a hope that they will choose to be good. Who knows. God works in mysterious ways.

--John Stewart Mill--

--Black Hawk Down--

I have a feeling death will be oblivion.

On the plus side, I'm not too concerned about it, seeing as Death and I cannot coexist.

Let's just say when I'm dead...I won't be worrying about the fact that I'm dead :thumbsup:

I know its vague but I'll say it.

If you make the best of life, then you will probably be content with anything.

Sorry, I know that didn't answer anything, but that's what I always think.

And if you challenge me on it, I'll f***ing kill you.

Next to last part is a joke.