Help needed

213374U

In my endless quest for greatness in gaming I have come across a few oldies that just *won't* run under XP. So I thought I'd do something every geek wannabe wants to do: different partitions. I'm formatting the HD soon anyway, so it doesn't really bother me if the partitions can only be made at that point.

What I need help with/info about is:

• How do I create different partitions with different OSs? (tools needed if any?)
  • How do I select which partition is used to boot the system?
  • Are different file systems compatible and if so, to what extent? (ie. in one partition XP @ NTFS and in the other W98 @ FAT16/32)

And that's about all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'll come up with more questions later. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather not sign up on another forum just for this. :D

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

1. All partitions are easily created and formatted using the WinXP install disk

2. WinXp will present you with a boot screen on startup where you may select OS. If it doesnt, it can be set manually in the boot.ini of XP

3. Yes, different partitions can have different file systems. Its tricky with older OS because they cant be installed on partitions greater than a certain size.. I only remember that its 2gig for DOS 6.2

but before you do this, are you SURE there is no other way? for instance, almost all DOS based games can be run with the DOSbox emulator

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yeah, I know. However the one game I'm trying to run and gave me the idea is a mid '90s 3d game that is too stubborn to run properly under XP so to have it run properly under DOSbox I'd need a few A64 5ghz.

And at any rate, partition management is something I've been wanting to learn for quite some time but I've always been too lazy to learn. Thanks for the help. :(

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.