Did anyone see UK MP George Galloway...

Lucius

He may be good, I wouldn't know, but I thought he was downright rude in this interview. I mean, what's the point of a rude rethorical question anyway? I don't know the details behind his election, I read the comments by Brits on the BBC link and they were mixed, seems there's more speculation than actual truth to this "racial stirr" claim.

Edit: This might be normal in the UK, just not used to it since interviewers behaving like this here would be totally unheard off. ^_^

What a lovely civilized place Finland must be. :shifty:"

Just for the record, Paxman is not rude for effect, he will be completely respectful of people.

You are missing twenty years of history -- especially Galloway, who changed to the most marginal electorate, with the highest Islamic population he could find; attacked the sitting Labour councilor (who was actually doing a wonderful job, he even says so in his victory speech, before going on to abuse the Returning Officer for incompetence, negligence, corruption and worse) and used such phrases as "people blacker than you" (she is mixed ethnicity). Galloway is bottom-feeding self-serving thing that is not a man.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

How on earth would you get the impression that I was from Finland? :shifty:

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Seriously Meta, what part of "Kingdom of Denmark" gives the impression of Finland, I'm dying to know. :shifty:

Edit: That was a funny interview btw. ^_^

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Hehe, entertaining indeed. But this guy Paxman is way outta line, I think. They both behave silly in this interview.

Paxman is a legend in his own time; he brooks no fillibustering form politicians who are schooled in the art of answering the question you wanted the interviewer to ask, rather than the one they asked (a political philosophy that surfaced in the 80s).

You mean that pre-1980s, politicians gave straight answers? :shifty:

I don't believe it.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Seriously Meta, what part of "Kingdom of Denmark" gives the impression of Finland, I'm dying to know.  :lol:

It was a joke about all you Scandinavian countries all being alike, and Finland being the sexiest of them all.

:D

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Hehe, entertaining indeed. But this guy Paxman is way outta line, I think. They both behave silly in this interview.

Paxman is a legend in his own time; he brooks no fillibustering form politicians who are schooled in the art of answering the question you wanted the interviewer to ask, rather than the one they asked (a political philosophy that surfaced in the 80s).

You mean that pre-1980s, politicians gave straight answers? :lol:

I don't believe it.

I wouldn't say that. Just that in the Eighties, the "marketing types" seemed to overtake the political classes -- in every country. So instead of blundering through denials and other relatively ineffective tactics, the new tactic of just answering what you want to say, rather than what the audience wants to hear, was implemented.

The artform started off by answering something very, very similar, including elements of the question (like Howard valiantly tries to do in the above Paxman interview), to the "New Labour" Tony "Trust Me" Blair tactics of just re-iterating the party line in response to all questions. Remember the Labour billboard launches in the last election? Journalists were kept back from asking questions of the PM et al by a swarm of "rent-a-crowd" labour party supporters!

No, they didn't give straight answers, but it was a lot clearer to us and them that they were avoiding the issue.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Seriously Meta, what part of "Kingdom of Denmark" gives the impression of Finland, I'm dying to know.  :lol:

It was a joke about all you Scandinavian countries all being alike, and Finland being the sexiest of them all.

:D

But among us snobby Danes, Norwegians and Swedes; we don't include Finland in Scandinavia because they don't share our languages. Aren't we the sweet bunch? :D

DENMARK!

But among us snobby Danes, Norwegians and Swedes; we don't include Finland in Scandinavia because they don't share our languages. Aren't we the sweet bunch? :D

Yeah, I was trying to recall the exact communal term for all of the countries up there -- not "Lapland"!, something like "Scandinavia" but different. Dang, I need a good cup of tea. (Brownian motivator)

You certainly like flags with crosses, I'll give you that.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yeah, kinda ironic when you think how much of the populations that could care less about Christianity (or any other religion). :lol:

But really, you're one to talk, you just took our colours and switched them around. :D (flag of England, not sure what it's called, ours is Dannebrog)

Edit: Not sure what area you speak of, there's some Finish-Swedish speaking people up there somewhere, but can't remember what they're called (if anything specific). There is an area of old Danish land in southern Sweden called Scania (in English) though.

DENMARK!

Yeah, kinda ironic when you think how much of the populations that could care less about Christianity (or any other religion).  :lol:

But really, you're one to talk, you just took our colours and switched them around.  :D (flag of England, not sure what it's called, ours is Dannebrog)

It's called the "Cross of St. George" as far as I know, and it actually is stolen from Genoa, not the Danish flag reversed.

The Story goes that one of the Old English kings (of which I can't remember who) was going to crusade in the Holy Land, was given passage there by the Genoese fleet. He liked their flag so much he used it for the Flag of England.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Oh, in which year was this?

The story of Dannebrog is that the flag fell from the sky during a critical stage in a battle during the Baltic crusade under Valdemar II the Victorious in 1219, resulting in a Danish victory. The other Nordic nations later adopted the cross banner too.

It's much more likely that some Bishop was standing on a hill and tossed it out though, but I still like the legend. :D

DENMARK!

Oh, in which year was this?

The story of Dannebrog is that the flag fell from the sky during a critical stage in a battle during the Baltic crusade under Valdemar II the Victorious in 1219, resulting in a Danish victory. The other Nordic nations later adopted the cross banner too.

It's much more likely that some Bishop was standing on a hill and tossed it out though, but I still like the legend.  :D

If I could remember the year I'd be able to remember the king. :lol:

The Danish flag is the oldest flag on record, correct? IIRC, the flag of Scotland (The Saltire) is the second oldest.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Yes the oldest still used national flag.

I just looked on Wikipedia, and it states that the St George's Cross dates from 1277, but it doesn't reveal its history sadly.

DENMARK!

I just looked on Wikipedia, and it states that the St George's Cross dates from 1277, but it doesn't reveal its history sadly.

Hmm...

Flags of the World gives the Genoan tale (though different from my version, and also probably more correct) as happening in 1190, though it also says that the earliest reference to the cross is in the Welsh War of 1277.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

St George (who was born in Algeria, I think) went to attack the infidels in the Holy Land. That was the first use of the English flag.

(The British flag is the Union Jack, made up of the Sottish, English and Irish St Patrick's cross.)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You mean that pre-1980s, politicians gave straight answers?

Me and many other Swedes are beginning to think the roof has been reached as far as political rethorics. Elections are comming up this year and the recent debate between our minister of state, G

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Heh, the Faeroe Islands are part of the Kingdom, and yet I didn't even know they had their own flag. :D

What is Greenland doing there, by the way? ;)

DENMARK!